A Passing Space wizard give you control of GW...

NovemberIX

1: Switch from Codexes for every single army to a single "Super-Codex"/Index for the main factions. So instead of Codex: Space Marines, Codex: Astra Militarum etc, you'd have one large, all-encompassing Codex: Imperium, which would provide you with all the rules you need to field any Imperial force you want. Price and size of Codex would depend on how much stuff was in that book- so for example, Imperium and Chaos would be quite big and more pricey, whilst, say, Necrons would be less so. "Inseparable" factions that would end up with a tiny book would be given a whole host of extra rules and new units to make up for it (so T'au would get vastly expanded rules for their vassal races for instance, whilst Orks could have a huge amount of rules for kustom/looted vehicles).

2: Once the rules are all written and points values assigned, leave them alone (excluding minor errata/FAQ obviously). No yearly points tweaks or constant making existing books redundant.

3: Further gaming books would be done as supplements/expansion packs rather than mandatory DLC. So more like stuff like the classic Imperial Armour books or Cities of Death/Planetstrike. These books would be totally optional but would be filled with interesting fluff, nice art, cool but not essential rules ("Nice to haves" in effect) and the like.

4: Bring back modelling sections in the books, with conversion guides and the like, rather than just showing studio paintjobs on unmodified models. Also bring back pure hobby books (such as my beloved "How to make wargames terrain").

5: Completely drop the "No models, no rules" thing. Whilst endeavouring to give everything a model where possible, make things that are farcically easy to convert (basic weapon swaps and the like) legal, and also include special rules in each faction for creating your own custom units.

6: Subcontract companies to produce older but still desirable models (including FW) under license so that people can still have OOP minis without GW having to spend too much capital in producing them themselves (also incidentally undercutting the recaster market). Also, all models produced that went from metal to resin would be available in both.

7: Shy away from the super-competitive side of the hobby, and definitely don't pander to it. Perhaps offer a "Playing Warhammer 40,000 in a Tournament" supplement which provides rules and guidelines for playing in such a setting with BIG RED LETTERS saying that the rules are ONLY intended for playing in tournaments and should NEVER EVER EVER be used for casual games.

8: Completely scrap the absurd IP guidelines in favour of more specifically worded but far more lenient ones intended to allow fans to do cool things whilst cracking down on actual IP thieves.

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I have to put my professional hat on. 

I would not change a single thing that GW is currently doing, let me explain.  GW has about 5 to 10 years before the 3d printing market and recast market become affordable and simple for the masses.  The miniature hobby is dying with the younger generation lack of interest/money and other companies, free rule like one page rules, or fan games are eating away at the profits.  The only thing GW has is their IP, which they are depressingly trying to get into the mythical wider market and hoping to go main stream.  GW is already changing their business model to sell toys(like the giant hasbro models), animation, and comic book deals.  They are positioning to sell the IP to a different company or get licensing deals, its really the only way to keep going for the future.  The hobbyist that still buy their overprice product is just icing on the cake.   

Never create another edition of the game ever again. Nine resets is already too many; had they put that effort into expanding factions, ranges and options instead of rereleasing everything all over again, continuously reinventing the wheel, we'd already have a CWE range that wasn't mostly finecast; we'd have had Exodites and Corsairs with real, full ranges a decade ago.

Instead, once all dexes are out, use campaign books to release one new unit per faction every year. And maybe a whole new faction every year or two.

Edition churn is the biggest problem this game has. Personally, I think it's the biggest problem any game has; objectively, in hindsight I can say I like one edition or another the most, but at the times when those editions were current, I was satisfied enough with all of them that they could have just continued so that we could get to new stuff faster.

I'd also release a big Crusade book for GM types; it would have tools and resources for different campaign systems.

Edit: I would also obviously report this random space wizard to the local Inquisition: the Wizard in question is obviously a witch, guilty of heresy and suitable only for the Emperor's wrath.

without resets and continually expanding factions we’d likely have been stuck with 1st or 2nd edition models for the original factions that would likely never be updated or refreshed.

This is going to be an unpopular opinion, but I have to put my professional hat on.

I would not change a single thing that GW is currently doing, let me explain. GW has about 5 to 10 years before the 3d printing market and recast market become affordable and simple for the masses. The miniature hobby is dying with the younger generation lack of interest/money and other companies, free rule like one page rules, or fan games are eating away at the profits. The only thing GW has is their IP, which they are depressingly trying to get into the mythical wider market and hoping to go main stream. GW is already changing their business model to sell toys(like the giant hasbro models), animation, and comic book deals. They are positioning to sell the IP to a different company or get licensing deals, its really the only way to keep going for the future. The hobbyist that still buy their overprice product is just icing on the cake.

You do know that a lot of people actually like buying kits that needs to be built right? And it is a lot easier than having to fiddle with a 3d printer. Will their buisness model change in the future? Absolutely. But there will always be a market for kits. Even more so now seeing how many have rediscovered how nice it is to log off the grind and build a kit. Bandai literally can’t keep up with the demand for Gundam kits.

And as for the recast market becoming larger? If that happens you can bet GW will end up throwing more resources after it. And I highly doubt it will ever be more than a tiny blip.

without resets and continually expanding factions we’d likely have been stuck with 1st or 2nd edition models for the original factions that would likely never be updated or refreshed.

Edition changes don't guarantee model refreshes (see 2nd Edition Warlocks, Phoenix Lords, Avatar etc) and equally, model refreshes don't require new rules or editions. Just look at something like the newer Chaos Marines or Howling Banshees; they didn't fundamentally change from one edition to the next in terms of rules, they just got new/better models.

The miniature hobby is dying with the younger generation lack of interest/money and other companies, free rule like one page rules, or fan games are eating away at the profits. 

Free rules, fan games and generation shift have all existed for years, and even with in-home affordable 3d printing now an easily accessible thing, demand for GW kits routinely outstrips supply by a massive margin. To say the hobby is dying when it has demonstrably never been more popular isn't so much an "unpopular opinion" as a completely bizarre take with no basis in fact.

This is going to be controversial, but I'm going to start off with additional revenue streams first.

1) I think GW need to open their stores up to a second hand market. For example something like EB Games here in Australia, or Gamestop in the US (I assume it's similar they're owned by the same company). Basically you offer something like pay for pound/grams for X dollars and also dependent on quality. Poorly painted models would be paid less, and better painted models would be paid more.

You could even tie in something like a Warhammer + subscription, say you get 10% more if you're subscribed.

Then you give every store a "bargain bin" with second hand models at prices around 50 - 75% of what the actual models in the kit would cost. Again, depending on quality. This takes some money away from places like eBay, gets people in stores, etc.

2) Offer pre-painted models.

Some players don't pay for the hobby, but instead pay to play. This allows those players to pay a bit more for something already done. Look at something like Hero Forges new painter, basically they can go to the GW website select a kit they like then use a 3D model builder and painter, they assemble the model(s) from the options available in that kit, then pick between Citadel paints to apply to their model(s). Once they're happy they can add that kit to their checkout as per normal and they'll be shipped assembled and painted models. This again would have some kind of additional costs probably an extra 25% - 33% of that kits cost.

3) More content to Warhammer +. I'd make it similar to D&D Beyond. Add all the prior rulebooks, expansions, and codexes as free reading material. So if anyone wants to try out a prior edition of the game they can, however, if they want to play in the current meta they'd still have to purchase the current rulesets. Though I'd offer some kind of in store discount or loyalty program attached to a subscription.

4) If you're a Warhammer + member you can purchase STL files for OOP models.

Okay, now that we've gotten the controversial revenue raising out of the way we can try and be a force for good.

1) Lower the costs of the kits themselves. Make it easier for people to actually enter the hobby again. Escalation tournaments sound well and good, but is anyone willing to join the hobby when something like 10 Guardsmen costs $45 USD and most brand new AAA video games are $60?

2) More bundle kits. Don't just have Start Collecting boxes, also have Reinforcement boxes with different options.

3) More bundle deals. Add discounts like "the rule of 3" if you purchase 3 of the same kit you get some form of discount.

4) More community engagement. Instead of killing fan projects offer them the old "pay in exposure" reach out to them and offer to put the video on Warhammer Community with a shout out to their channel. Obviously, you request they remove any kind of copywrite material that isn't GW's, see the difference in Astartes on Warhammer Community and the original. Maybe even going so far as to add some of the best videos onto Warhammer + and pay them some kind of one-off payment. Kind of like Gaijin, the creators of War Thunder, when they pay 3D modellers to use their vehicles in their game.

5) Even more community engagement. Not just fan videos, but fan art and literature. Have a dedicated employee actually seeking out talent that can either be hired or nurtured.

6) In terms of actual rules. Stop all of these Day 1 DLC faction rules that should have been in the codex on launch. Instead if there is going to be rules make it crusade rules relevant to the campaign, or thematic Armies of Renown.

These are ideas they amount to something. I sort of like this model exchange concept, and developing both players who aren’t hobbyists and hobbyists who aren’t players. That leans in to making it a physical experience for more people and more durable fans, and a smaller fraction of customers who flit from video game to anime series to 40k and back. It even extends to GW becoming kind of an events company, the way that Spartan Race and Tough Mudder are events companies.

Grow 40K into something that rivals Trek

Rivals? No, better than Star Trek or MCU, way better. This is where you’ve lost me; the amount of creativity in Star Trek Nemesis, or the Star Wars prequel trilogy and EU either new or old isn’t good enough.

GW can recreate the process that created Gaunt. They can hire experienced creative people who know how to work for commercial IP, and give them their own Gaunt. In 40k they’re not doing yet another take or relaunch of Spider-Man or Batman. 40k is a great place for creativity.

Abnett wrote for second tier marvel comics. Gaunt is about an game-eligible faction fighting battles, not sleuthing off-field. It’s also not about an existing subfaction so it’s personal and seems more genuine than corporate branding.

So, hire a half dozen comic book writers, give them some introductory chances, and then let them write whole series that almost but don’t quite exist in game, and that don’t affect the overall setting. And try to get N.K. Jemison, try to get someone who’s won multiple Hugo awards and can make a real strong corner of the galaxy. The main thing is to do this white several authors so it doesn’t seem like one experiment that’s going to change the whole setting, instead they’re several authors with their own characters.

They’ve tried to clone the results of gaunt, gritty mil-fix with Henry zhou and now severina Raine. It hasn’t been revelatory or sensational. It’s just been fine. Instead of cloning the results, it’s time to clone the process. Matt Fraction is a good candidate, Christos Gage has written for many comics and tv series. Hire these people, let them write the Necron version of Gaunt, or the Craftworld or Exodite Gaunt, and when one of them is successful release a kill team.

This is a great opportunity. 40k has taken vocabulary and concepts out of Abnett books, and also left plenty of stuff alone.

Uprising isn’t right. The model of turning an IP into films and merchandising is very saturated, and by IPs that have nostalgia value for millions more people. There’s a ceiling on that. He is totally right that making the next big wave a new kind of space marine but with a lascannon this time is not going to get GW much further.

I'd give every child in the land a free "get started set" then hike up all prices by 300%! Mwahahaha! :devil:

Seriously though, (my personal thoughts) I think the home 3D printing thing is a bit over inflated. Yes, some will be able to do it themselves, but only really those that are really dedicated to wanting to do it. I've not got or done it myself, but I imagine that it's a case of setting up/importing the file; making sure it's compatible with your particular printer; purchasing and putting in the print medium; printing; checking it's done properly; trimming off all the bits; ta-da, a model! 

Or just ordering from GW... 

I remember when colour jet printers first became affordable for the home and how everybody thought how amazing, I'll print this, do this project, it'll be a printing wonderland! 

And then the ink dried up, and the printer sat gathering dust in most homes because it was just too much 'hassle'.

Also, if you could buy a 3D file from GW, unless they guarantee it as a one time only print, they'd be more likely to charge MORE for the file. If you could print as many as you wanted, what's to stop you from printing 300 marines for your and your pals for that one off price you paid? That's would require a completely different business model. Not saying it's impossible, but unlikely as the market stands at the moment.

I would not change a single thing that GW is currently doing, let me explain.  GW has about 5 to 10 years before the 3d printing market and recast market become affordable and simple for the masses. 

Yup, just like being able to pirate films online has killed off the film industry. Nobody pays for online film content.

7: Shy away from the super-competitive side of the hobby, and definitely don't pander to it. Perhaps offer a "Playing Warhammer 40,000 in a Tournament" supplement which provides rules and guidelines for playing in such a setting with BIG RED LETTERS saying that the rules are ONLY intended for playing in tournaments and should NEVER EVER EVER be used for casual games.

Agree. 40K has gone too tournamenty, too complex, and is appealing/accessible only to people that have played it before. Our new players are struggling with the insane amount of rules. 

I would not change a single thing that GW is currently doing, let me explain. GW has about 5 to 10 years before the 3d printing market and recast market become affordable and simple for the masses.

Yup, just like being able to pirate films online has killed off the film industry. Nobody pays for online film content.

Agree. 40K has gone too tournamenty, too complex, and is appealing/accessible only to people that have played it before. Our new players are struggling with the insane amount of rules.

I won’t argue that there’s too many rules or that some of them seem to suffer from unnecessary complexity because there are and they do. However, the intent* behind every additional tournament/matched play rule is to create a more even/balanced match. I think you’d have an impossible time convincing people why they shouldn’t use optional rules that supposedly make the game fairer in their regular games. It’s why things like rule of three that they introduced in 8th became the default for most games, even though it was technically only a recommendation for tournaments. Basically I think having a set of tournament rules and not expecting them to filter into normal games is a non-starter.

*I say intent because obviously it doesn’t always work out like that

Right chaps, been thinking about this now, under the assumption that home 3D does take off massively (contrary to my personal opinion):

When I take over GW in 10 years time (or thereabouts, the Space Wizard was a bit vague on timescales) how about this:

16th edition brings the game more in line with the lore, I move the game away from D6 based, go to D20 based. This means that a Space marine force consists of less models per force (because they are bad bottomed!), but you can still have loads of orks for example, because reasons (I'm not sharing just now in case one of you steals my idea, not because I've not thought this through, obviously). 

However, this is fine because I've changed the business model away form casting our own minis, but instead you buy direct from us, and we print out to your printer direct. Currently the Primaris Intercessors are £35 for 10 on GW site, so that's £3.50 each, so let's say you print at £1 per intercessor at today's prices. This cuts out one of the biggest overheads which is the casting and plastic. 3D printing will obviously use more environmentally friendly materials in that time... :sweat:

Core rules are free, supplements and extras cost money. After the 2026 collapse in the mainstream media sphere due to market oversaturation, we cut back where we allow the licence to be used and being more strict with quality, rather than quantity.

Fan made stuff is allowed (yeay!), and can be monetised but we get a very small percentage of monies if the profits exceed an arbitrary number (because business, and you're not getting everything your own way, you ungrateful lot!), but you do get to be officially endorsed at that time blah blah blah. Can't fail. 

40k is more dumbed down and streamlined then its ever been in the ten years I've been playing. If current 40k is too complex for some people I'm fine with them sticking with other games. I can't say though that I've run into new players that struggle with 9th edition and most of the people I meet up with every week started with 9th.

40k is more dumbed down and streamlined then its ever been in the ten years I've been playing. If current 40k is too complex for some people I'm fine with them sticking with other games. I can't say though that I've run into new players that struggle with 9th edition and most of the people I meet up with every week started with 9th.

Ahh, 2nd edition, where a chain fist had an armour penetration of D20+D4+D6+10 against vehicles, and a save modifier of -6 against infantry to do D4 damage. Good times. 

Needed a good grasp of mathematics to play that edition. :thumbsup:

-Scrap I go you go and switch to alternate activation.

-Change to a D12

-Bring back WS for combat. A marine should not be hitting a primarch on a 3 plus.

-Bring back some form of veh facing

-Start development on a warhammer TV series for mainstream. (I suspect GW might already be doing this). I find it quite ironic movie studios are trying to find Universes to replicate Marvel and they have 40k sitting right I front of them. Now i doubt it will hit the heights of Marvel but with the right minds behind it then it can be very successful

-Create a series that leads into Old Night. I see it being a fatalistic tale were the golden pinnacle humanity is thrown away for ever. Maybe one or two tie in models for looking cool only.

-Expand further in American Market and Asia

Fan made stuff is allowed (yeay!), and can be monetised but we get a very small percentage of monies if the profits exceed an arbitrary number (because business, and you're not getting everything your own way, you ungrateful lot!), but you do get to be officially endorsed at that time blah blah blah. Can't fail.

Consider this: everything online has to be fan content. Everything has to be at least a painting log, web comic, battle report, or film. If someone posts an article that’s just pros-and-cons of a new unit, tournament meta, a discussion a thread about how to change the rules for terminators, or whether 40k still grimdark, then GW send a C&D and buys the hosting company to shut down those servers.

-Start development on a warhammer TV series for mainstream. (I suspect GW might already be doing this)

An Eisenhorn TV series was announced as being in development the best part of two years ago.

I’d find a way to move past using plastic. The world needs to sort its plastic consumption out.

other than that I don’t know what else I’d do as everyone here has pretty much said everything worth doing. 

I’d find a way to move past using plastic. The world needs to sort its plastic consumption out.

other than that I don’t know what else I’d do as everyone here has pretty much said everything worth doing.

There are experiments with plant based plastics. But plastics are kinda hard to not use in some form. You would have to invent a whole new material. And honestly I don’t think GW has the talent for that.

It seems nobody is considering this from the Space Wizard's point of view:

Wizard: Greetings human of Terra, I have flown through time and space to offer you one wish, anything you may desire is but a command away! 

Me: I want control of a little British who makes little plastic dudes who fight over a big table by rolling dice.

Wizard: Riches and power shall be yo.... excuse me? Little plastic dudes? Seriously? 

Me: Yes. Riches and power will be mine, but I get to annoy the community every couple of years for no other reason than for personal satisfaction.

Wizard: Sigh :wallbash: :facepalm: 

Tzeentch: That's my boy. :happy.:

How does it compare to 5th, aka the best edition?

And based on some youtube videos I've seen recently and as your benevolent master, I will produce and sell 3D print files for terrain that you can print off yourself. You can print as many as you want, because terrain makes everything better!