Primaris only Wolves....?

Charlo

Yep that's what I did... I don't like the size difference so, for example, I built my jump pack characters who perform great on tabletop using phobos armour and jumpacks.

Wolves can be played as primaris only army just fine. The only wolves specific unit i really like that is not primaris but scales great with them are wulfen and cyber wolves.

All Primaris Space Wolves can work very well, particularly in smaller games. Here is a 1000 point list I have been running across a series of games. Units like Bladeguard Vets are awesome for Wolves and Dreadnoughts definitely benefit from the +1 to hit in melee.

Space Wolves vs Necrons 1000 point battle report

Space Wolves vs Drukhari 1000 point battle report

Space Wolves vs Necrons 1000 point rematch

I really like those embigened Long Fangs! Are they just using standard first born Space Marine arms?

Not mine, I found them on IG (I think). But yeah, I can confirm that old arms work well on primaris. Maybe a little short, but they can be slighly lowered or just use primaris arms and old hands for things like old bolters.

For me mixing intercessors with old kits it's the best of both worlds.

I really like those embigened Long Fangs! Are they just using standard first born Space Marine arms?

Not mine, I found them on IG (I think). But yeah, I can confirm that old arms work well on primaris. Maybe a little short, but they can be slighly lowered or just use primaris arms and old hands for things like old bolters.

For me mixing intercessors with old kits it's the best of both worlds.

Those are our very own HvitrValdyr’s Long Fangs and Armorium Cherub and some WiP shots can be found here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/336005-wip-primaris-size-space-wolves/?p=5669254

I believe he was mixing both Tacticus and Phobos arms sliced off at the wrists for the heavy weapons to make it work, but he would be able to say for sure.

I think the troops are pretty good incursors are my preference out of the 2. Invictors warsuits I've had mixed results with. The librarian seems to be the best character. Eliminators are really cheap again.

Personally I go with more of mixed force so vanguard rune priest, incursors, and eliminators. Then a captain/Ragnar, some bladeguard, redemptors, and eradicators if your trying to stick with primaris. Bladeguard would be in impulsors you could make your own with reiver kits combined with stormshields and MC power swords.

If theme is the main concern invictors instead of redemptors, and I'd run the hammerstrike speeders instead of eradicators.

Obviously you have more options if you have firstborn but I really don't run them anymore.

I think the troops are pretty good incursors are my preference out of the 2. Invictors warsuits I've had mixed results with. The librarian seems to be the best character. Eliminators are really cheap again.

Personally I go with more of mixed force so vanguard rune priest, incursors, and eliminators. Then a captain/Ragnar, some bladeguard, redemptors, and eradicators if your trying to stick with primaris. Bladeguard would be in impulsors you could make your own with reiver kits combined with stormshields and MC power swords.

If theme is the main concern invictors instead of redemptors, and I'd run the hammerstrike speeders instead of eradicators.

Obviously you have more options if you have firstborn but I really don't run them anymore.

Yeah that's more or less what I was thinking, nice.

I'm currently dreaming up a successor and the Vanguard stuff really play into it nicely.

I think you can do all Primaris wolves and it would work fine. I think a lot of the phobos stuff can work for them. I don't have any Primaris in my Space Wolves, but do in other forces.

I'm a little bit disappointed in how some of the more recent units got added, I think it was a bit of a miss for Assault Intercessors to not get Blood Claw rules for instance. I think they've done a bit of a poorer job integrating some of that than they've done for Dark Angels/Ravenwing/Deathwing for instance.

I think you can do all Primaris wolves and it would work fine. I think a lot of the phobos stuff can work for them. I don't have any Primaris in my Space Wolves, but do in other forces.

I'm a little bit disappointed in how some of the more recent units got added, I think it was a bit of a miss for Assault Intercessors to not get Blood Claw rules for instance. I think they've done a bit of a poorer job integrating some of that than they've done for Dark Angels/Ravenwing/Deathwing for instance.

I suppose a LOT of units got Wolf Guard, which is cool! However I don't think the key word really amounts to much? I can't see any interactions for it anywhere...

I agree, while the thinking of the Hunter/ Claw/ Fang packs is certainly there, it seems to almost be morphed into the standard "Battleline, Close Support & Fire Support", with the only unit I've seen sporting Claw markings are Incursors - all other vanguard marines have Wolf Scout markings, at least in the new codex heraldry section. Inceptors are also Claw packs apparently too.

I just hope they eventually do a Primaris analogue to Wolf Guard squad leaders

I suspect that there will be interactions with the wolf guard key word at some point. I'm at the point where I expect both a codex/supplement and campaign book for each of my fractions every edition.

My main complaint as a space wolf player with the primaris line is a lack of axes. I've converted my own squad of bladeguard using the grey slayer kit from forgeworld but it would be nice to have our own unit with them.

I suppose a LOT of units got Wolf Guard, which is cool! However I don't think the key word really amounts to much? I can't see any interactions for it anywhere...

I agree, while the thinking of the Hunter/ Claw/ Fang packs is certainly there, it seems to almost be morphed into the standard "Battleline, Close Support & Fire Support", with the only unit I've seen sporting Claw markings are Incursors - all other vanguard marines have Wolf Scout markings, at least in the new codex heraldry section. Inceptors are also Claw packs apparently too.

I just hope they eventually do a Primaris analogue to Wolf Guard squad leaders

With the blood claws, I meant more that there's the blood claw abilities, like Berserk Charge, for the units with the bloodclaw keyword. It would have been nice to see Assault intercessors at least added into that.