Sabbat War Anthology

Bowders

I'm surprised there isn't an existing post for this?  A solid set of short stories from a list of contributors that includes quite a few whose work I've not read before but all of which I found enjoyable.

I was already sold on by page 22 when reading "This is What Victory Feels like (Forever the same)". Not gonna say anymore about it though.

The other development I am especially interested in hearing others thoughts about is the ominous ending of "The Death of the Prophet"

Edited by Bowders

I loved a lot of this, especially Dan's two contributions which really feel like the necessary epilogue Anarch needed. Honestly he's such a good writer with characterisation - no one comes close in the GW stable - and despite 22 years, or because of 22 years, these characters - from the oldest ones to some of the newest - are so damn good.

The Matt Farrer story was fun, a true Agathe Christie story for 40k. The appearance of pre-saint Sanian was lovely too - that much more timid girl of old.

I really liked Graham's story too, some powerful imagery, and one of two inclusions of Vitrians in the collection, drawing the regiments of First and Only into a much more modern, perhaps more grimdark, era.

The story with the orphan soldier was dark too, very glad it was included.

The airlift story set on Jago was rather grand for recalling that terrifying setting, and again a different take on the crusade. Gritty.

And so on. As with each Sabbat anthology, excellent, and very glad BL and Dan did it. It was really nice to have a lot of different, distinct, perspectives and indeed a lot more of the "other" side(s) in the war.

Another great Sabbat anthology. Possibly the most consistently good one so far. All the stories are strong and they are all very different providing some nice variety.

The two GG stories from Dan were like meeting old friends again. As said above, they provide a good epilogue to Anarch.

Putting the GG stories to the side (as they are the best by default of being more GG) for ME the two stand out stories were by Marc Collins and Justin D Hill. Both tell stories from the chaos forces pov and both are suitably dark and disturbing!

That’s really not trying to take anything away from the other stories/writers as I say, a very solid anthology.

Edited by DukeLeto69

Yep, both Dan's contributions were great and I completely agree with the point made about them being an epilogue for Anarch. I am always interested in the organizational structure of the Ghosts so it was nice to see some of the guys we haven't heard from in a few books and the process for promoting from within the ranks. The way Abnett tied all this into the preceding events whilst justifying some of the more surprising candidates eventual promotion was superb.

I do find myself wondering what Varl needs to get a promotion though? Probably stop dealing in contraband and gambling for a start :wink:

Hope that comment regarding Varl isn't considered a spoiler? While it's true he has is not amongst those promoted, he also isn't even in this particular short story or the entire anthology if I remember correctly. More the pity if you ask me so I read "You Never Know" from the Sabbat Crusade anthology again to compensate!

I did have a go at finding out how you do spoiler tags, I've seen them posted before but couldn't find them again this time around...

Edited by Bowders

Varl's in the Milo story :smile.:

Good point well made! 

I admit I read (and thoroughly enjoyed) both of the shorts from Dan Abnett before any of the others and then took a week or two to finish the rest. 

For me "This is What Victory Feels Like (Forever the Same)" was the stand out entry of the anthology but it is a bit worrying that I would forget that detail in such a short time! The interaction from the latter story that stuck with me most was Brin's conversation with Zhukova.

I don't regret the re-read of "You Never Know"  one bit and if nothing else I now have the perfect excuse to do the same with "From There to Here"

So thanks for that! :biggrin.: