On RikuEru's Table: Battle-Barge and Gothic-Class Cruisers

RikuEru

Hi, I'm RikuEru, I have mostly been a lurker and like-thrower in this subforum, mostly just posting in the Space Wolves Sub-forum.
But... I want to do more than "just" Space Wolves, with the collection of 'other' (sub-)factions' minis "slowly" growing.

So this'll be my little WIP thread, so I can keep track of my own work for once and get some magnificent feedback from the best people on B&C (that's you!) without being confined to a single sub-forum.

I dare keep this first post as a "one day maybe" Register for various project posts I can link to within this thread, if the Mods allow me to do so!? (Someone smite me with his favourite Power-weapon if I ever forget to update this...)

Edited by RikuEru

Some weeks ago I started on more than two dozen Custodes (Including Captain-General Kitten... yes... I am sorry.) who've been waiting to be painted since forever.
I got them primed and ready, even started on some of them... but some paints were missing, they were quite the hassle and I lost my mojo for them, for now. This is them, pre-priming:

20210418_163445.jpg

So I got myself into something different...
Over the last few weeks I have been busy with these, to do something different for once:

I started off with some little Imperial Torpedo-Boats... IN SPACE! ...to try out how to do BFG models.

20210721_164157.jpg

And these worked out pretty well. They were quick and fun to do, tho hard to photograph, just with a phone. The "cuppolas" aren't gold, they are Contrast Yellow, to make them a tad bit more distinct. But alas...

So I was quite motivated and eager to start with my Space Marine Fleet!

I began with 10 tiny little Hunter-Class Destroyers!

20210729_163903.jpg

And the 3 Frigates take flight!

20210807_134445.jpg

...the Strike Cruiser comes right after.

20210807_134332.jpg

And the Fleet so far...

20210807_134922.jpg

Something big... LOOMS in the future.

20210808_214237.jpg

I haven't painted anything this heavy since one of the Trolls or the Mumakil for LotR, I think.

...and after that something even bigger will come around! I'll have to figure out how and on what base I put it tho... (If you have input, I am all eagor to hear it!)
Mama Hrafnkel for those interested: (got it from Shapeways. It was a gift for myself when I finished my degree. ...no, I am absolutely not explaining myself for no reason right here...)

20200321_114124.jpg

Generally I can ONLY recommend getting your hands on some of these old BFG models on ebay or in trade groups, if you can. (*cough* Shapeways... *cough* Tell me which of these were printed and I'll give you a cookie and a horn of mjod!)
They are something... different... to regular Marines. Spraying, Shading and then Drybrushing gets you so damn far with these already. Then you'll just pick out the Details YOU want and do them however you want.
It's something different in style too. The scale gives you a different kick to finishing a new kickass Squad or some Hero of (your own) Legend.
...I finished a damn FLEET of over a dozen Chapter Vessels! And soon a BATTLE-BARGE will follow!
(I guess that's part of the kick for people who do Adeptus Titanicus too!? - ...and to an extent also the people who do Aeronautica Imperialis/Epic)

But... what's happening on the Primaris front!?
Well... uuuh...

KPgZlXO.jpg

142 Primaris Marines (26 of those being Characters/HQs), 2 Ambots for the Iron Priests, 3 Wolves, 3 Landmines.
Not pictured:
...two tanks, two Ogryn Servitors for the Iron Priests, Leman Russ (lying around since the Forgeworld Open Day in Amsterdam where he was first available), Freki & Geri, an unfinished Stormfang/wolf Conversion, unassembled Logan Grimnar on Sled, a Leviathan Dread, far too many (probably just as many) Firstborn I kinda can't be arsed to do anymore.

And then the Custodes, a few "Adventurers and Allies", a half-finished Imperial Knight, I think some Skitarii somewhere... and some Sisters of Silence and probably other stuff I forgot...

My girlfriend's Start Collecting Thousand Sons Box I will have to build for her, because she only likes painting them...

Because the ONE thing she saw and got hooked on in the GW store when she first came in was freaking... Emperor-be-damned... MAGNUS!!!
And she is not into 40k. She doesn't care. (And I doubt she ever will much...)
But the Egyptian Aesthetic of the Booknerds got her. ....and the Start Collecting was announced a few days after.

JUST. AS. PLANNED.

...so one day I will have to suffer MAGNUS' presence in MY OWN Household.

Then there's the Orks, Necrons and Sisters a friend of mine got.

Well... enough to keep me occupied, even without new (Primaris) Releases.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice one, looking forward to seeing these all progress :thumbsup:

Thank you! Don't expect too much too fast tho, as hobbytime is pretty irregular. Tho this, the TITH Thread and some other bits atleast help with the motivation part.

Those space bases are really cool.

How did you do them?

Dallo

I will do a proper Tutorial, when I do the next ones, with step by step pictures (Even tho it's not that hard). Still have to do three big ones and 5 small ones.

As for today's progress (with some prep time and drybrushing the days before):

I made some progress on the Battle-Barge...

Slowly but surely adding some gold trim. Not finished for the night yet, but I wanna add to it slowly, as not to overdo it...

20210823_211428.jpg

EDIT:

She's a fine, shiny lady...

20210823_222358.jpg

Edited by RikuEru

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Loving the BFG bases, reminds of images in the WD as a kid.

All looks good and enough to keep you very busy.

-Noctem

Thank you! I never had a WD during that time, only the DeAgostini Magazine for the LotR game & miniatures.

But I have vague memories of baffledly looking through the ships on the online store.

I love how you do the different coloured nebula on the BFG bases to identify squads - I think - if so, a beautiful and brilliant idea.

Thank you, too! Yea, that was the general idea. Even tho I might never play, I liked that to be the case, if I ever do.

And because Brother Dallo asked on how I do the Space and Stars Flight Bases, here you go!

How to do: Space and Stars Flight Bases!

Step 1:

Assemble your flight bases. Cut out a long strip of cardboard. Put some double sided sticky tape on it. Put the Flight Bases on it.

mPVgyND.jpeg

Step 2:

Prime them black. (Remember the shaking the can. Warming the can in lukewarm water before can do wonders, too!)

Due to the transparent plastic, it's sometimes hard to tell if it's not fully covered yet or just glossy black primer already - it takes some getting used to, so you sometimes need to do a second layer of black.

oz9oh9B.jpeg

Step 3:

Rip up an old sponge. (RIP. AND. TEAR.) Then dabble on some Grey Seer onto the sponge, rub of some of the paint on a piece of paper, then put it onto the bases. You decide on how much and the structure of it.

Either dab it on, for the "gas clouds", or lightly brush it on in long strokes for the more "streamy" variety (third from the left).

If you need inspiration or ideas, look for pictures on interstellar nebulae and what kinda structures they can form - basically any error you could make at this step could just be a strangely formed nebula. Don't worry too much about it.

{"Why Greyseer, Rikueru?" - Well, it's a very light grey, which behaves REALLY well and works well with Contrast colours on top!}

UiFEk2k.jpeg

Step 4:

Repeat the same with some White Scar, but only at the "center" of your greyseer clusters/streams - basically a Highlight.

(Remember to shake it REALLY well. You sure you shaken it enough? Yes?! SHAKE IT MORE!

Also make sure you have none of the nasty white "blobs" of paint sticking to your sponge!)

FmRNRF8.jpeg

Step 5:

Now for some colour!

Use -whatever- Contrast Colour you like! Does it fit your fleet? Is it your favourite colour? Is it your partner's favourite colour? Both of them?

It doesn't really matter. Again, look at pictures of interstellar nebulae, any colour is possible, any colour combination is possible.

Apply the Contrast colour in a thin layer ALL over the base (even the black parts). Now take either a dry brush (which has seen the best of his days pass by - not a new one!) or some pieces of paper towel, to remove some of the Contrast at the center of your clusters/streams, so you get NEARLY white parts in the middle and darker coloured edges.

Now add some more Contrast of your favourite variety (or a second colour) at the edges and here and there.

You can also wetblend two contrast colours or thinly layer them over each other.

Be creative, play with the Contrast colours, trust your gut, go with your instincts.

If it REALLY turns out to your disliking - and a night of sleep doesn't help to change your judgement - just prime it black again. There's no detail to loose on these flat bases.

lucxweS.jpeg

Step 6 a):

The aforementioned steps can be done in quick succession, because it doesn't take long to dry, but NOW you should let the Contrast colours dry fully!

Step 6 :cool.::

Now get your White Scar again and get yourself a straight sewing needle of average size. [Handle with care!]

(Pros of the Hobby who trust their painting skills and have good brushes might want to use a brush for this!? I chose this because it was easy, fast AND reliable. Also no tip of a Brush needs to suffer.)

We won't be using the tip of the needle, as that would take ridiculously long and would make teeny tiny stars. (Go ahed, if you want that, tho!)

Instead we use the BACK of the needle, the ear - because it has the right size and can hold some colour!

With the needle, you can now put down all the stars you want.

As you can see, I dabbed the needle onto the cardboard a few times, to get rid of excess paint, to make smaller stars.

You can vary them in size, line them up, group them in clusters or let them stand alone in the deep dark.

Go wild, stop whenever you want.

When you are done, take some Abaddon Black to clean up the Flight Base stems, if any of the colours got on them, to clean up.

aaQc7TT.jpeg

zXl2rZa.jpeg

LtwmZve.jpeg

Step 7 [Optional]:

For some variety, or as markings, hidden details, easter eggs or just for fun, you can also add a few "coloured" stars.

In my example I used Lothern Blue, Wazdakka Red, Auric Armour Gold and Stormhost Silver! (The last didn't work out as well as I thought)

gk6dkBr.jpeg

8PGaZT7.jpeg

MLlAa6B.jpeg

AND you're done! Congratulations!

Now put on your models and enjoy as they fly through space!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Edit:

I forgot to add the WiP shot of my big beauty, as I made some progress on her over the last week...

M8yVDbi.jpeg

Edited by RikuEru

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

TITHI finished this Imperial Knight, after week of touch ups, some weeks of work earlier this year, building and priming sometime summer 2020 and having this since the first release of the "Imperial Knights: Renegade" Boxed Game.

IMG_20211229_131446_006.jpg

Sigurd the Third

The Golden Swordsman

Saviour of the Skyros Crusade

Dragonslayer of Dokia Kappa-135

The Akkonian Blackhound

Protector of Circis

IMG_20211229_131734_652.jpg

Why all the Seals and Honors?

Well I thought of him as a crusading Freeblade, so over the decades he earned more and more medals and seals for his deeds, from various Imperial Organisations and Orders.

Maybe even some Astartes Chapters or Sororitas Orders... can you spot some?

IMG_20211229_132316_860.jpg

All these seals and bits were pinned on a piece of garden wire each, so I could prime them in Wraithbone and paint them one by one.

IMG_20211229_132053_372.jpg

Why Sigurd? Well... original concept was based on the german Hero and Dragonslayer "Siegfried".

Why Heros on the Chestplate?

Hero + Eros = Perfect Imperial Pseudo-Latin Gothic

IMG_20211229_132559_757.jpg

The Tilia Leaf

Now this leads back to the original concept of him being "Siegfried" (apart from Gold/Black/Red paintscheme):

In the original legend a tilia leaf landed on Siegfried's shoulder, when he bathed in a slain dragon's blood.

The dried blood made him invincible, except for the single spot where the tilia leaf had covered his skin.

Is this just a mural on his shoulder, as a sign of luck or an icon of his homeworld?

Or is it fate that a weapon hit on that spot will strike him down!?

Who knows!

Before anyone asks: The Sword is by the brilliant Taromodelmaker!

(This model is no longer available, but he has much better and more varied designs by now!)

Thanks, Naryn and BadgersinHills.

Yea, maybe later on I will add some more freehand on his shins or the baxkside of the left shoulder. But for now I am happy with his finished state.

Yesterday and the day before I built 6 little baby Xiphons, put them on sticks and primed them already.

Today in the Hobby I built these two Storm Eagles, 2 Fire Raptors and last but not least the Thunderhawk.

20220101_220842.jpg

Beautiful, beautiful kits.

GW actually gave you enough parts to build all 3 pairs of weapons choices for both Fire Raptors, so you could easily magnetize and switch between games!

A sensible choice made by the design team!

Thunderhawk can be built with the landing feet down or retracted.

(Minimal annoyance because the two big side pieces + front/top didn't fit 100% until I cut sth on the inside away and forced them to meet each other flush... but I guess that is part of the Thunderhawk experience? Bend it until it fits!?)

The detail is 1:1 with the Forgeworld Kits.

They really make you appreciate the far-more believable Marine fliers. (Unlike the Stormtalon and Co.)

• 3 months later...

So... it has been some time, hasn't it? Now... let me tell you all of what I have been working on (and posting to Instagram a bit more frequently than here - SORRY!)
In part I took newer, better pictures of some old Primaris and Firstborn Minis, many of them from the Last ETL, but also a bunch of stuff I have been working on these past months...

Thane Marnar Ironhail, Defender of Oblaron Hive

h6871vX.jpg

Like most Ultima-Founding Chapters the Wolves of Skogr got a supply of Gravis Armors, though they are reserved for the most-experienced Battle-brothers.
With wisdom and precision these Long Fangs can bring heavy fire support exactly where and when it is needed.

q17OICk.jpg

Despite their bulk and comparitively slow movement, the heavily armored and armed Gravis-Suit of the Aggressor Squads is competently used to give heavy fire support wherever and whenever it is needed on the battlefield.
Sometimes their threatening presence is outright used as a distraction to trap enemies or alow other squads to withdraw. In these situations the Long Fangs use their wisdom and experience to draw as much attention onto themselves, without being overwhelmed or loosing control of the situation.

2VmbHf0.jpg

Reiver Squads are silent hunters, thanks to the blessing of the Mark X Phobos Armour variant. Alongside other Phobos units they are the perfect fit for scouting, guerilla operations, abductions or assassinations.

InI6I57.jpg

Where Reivers stalk at the front of the pack and embody the rush of the chase, Eliminators prey from afar, embodying the patience one needs on the hunt.
These formidable marksmen use cameleoline Camo-Cloaks to hide and wait for a perfect shot, using a variety of specialized ammunition for their Mk.III Shrike Pattern Bolt Sniper Rifles to eliminate their targest at optimal efficiency.

dAYWKsK.jpg

As expected Thanes [Captains] also take to the field in Phobos Armour when needed.
Subtlety and Stealth can be much wiser than outright confrontation after all.

zYhYDFc.jpg

Vanguard operations are often supported by one of the Rune Priests taking to the fields with them. To not break the stealth needed during such missions, they wear specially crafted robes, with protective runes and warding patterns sown into the inside of the fabric.

01iycCz.jpg

Intercessors are the backbone of every Primaris force, the mainline of every Indomitus Founding Chapter. Led into battle by a Huscarl [Wolf Guard/Sergeant] they dare to oppose any enemy they encounter.

jM2HX39.jpg

Huscarls are Veterans of the Chapter who have proven their heroism and talent time and again. Serving as Lieutenants and Sergeants, Bodyguards and Champions they are allowed more freedom in their choice of armament, to perfectly utilize their individual skills and proficiencies.

HhCKeoL.jpg

Relics of the past, like this ancient Chainfist, are obviously regarded with the highest respect among the Chapter. But they are still tools of war, so they belong on the battlefield, not in an Armoriums dusty corner or Museum halls of a Planetary Governor's Spire.

nvZU3p1.jpg

Like many other Chapters the Wolves of Skogr have many talented crafters, artisans and artificers among their rows, who are able to personalize weaponry, craft runic talismans or assemble trophies for themselves and their battle-brothers.

HomESPa.jpg

Depending on their own preferences and the needs of their Thanes, Huscarls can become highly specialized over time - in their weapon mastery and their tactical role, acting as aid and complement to their superior.

Xa7LBTP.jpg

Rune Priests of the Chapter act much like their kin among the Space Wolves.
While they are even more likely to use a personal Psyber Familiar, chosen from a variety of Skogr's species, the main difference is the use of written documents.
As an effort to prove their worth to the Lord-Commander and the Space Wolves Chapter, the Rune Priests are tasked with writing down sagas and deeds of the Chapter's warriors, so they will never be forgotten.

cEtT5mI.jpg

Wolf Priests are taking the role of both Apothecaries and Chaplains among the Wolves of Skogr - the only ones allowed to wear black and wear wolf masks.
Upholding morale and inspiring is just as much their mission, as is keeping the men in-line and on guard, for there's many unseen, treacherous dangers in the galaxy, be it the Warp, Misjudgement or the Ego of a Space Marine.
They see every great deed of heroism and every little mundane failure - and they will surely comment it, when there's time to do so.

zSQfhL6.jpg

Securing and guarding the gene-seed of fallen battle-brothers is their highest honor and main objective on the battlefield.
But unbeknownst to most, their secondary objective is to keep a look on all Wolves of Skogr and be wary of the Curse's influence, so it might be contained... For this reason every Wolf Priest carries atleast one Yimiria Class Stasis Bomb.

iDExLTN.jpg

Not every mission is a success, nor can every oath be honored, if the odds are against you.
...but in some cases there's the possibility of gaining a second chance at... 'life'.
The Iron Priests and Wolf Priests can save a dying Marine, allowing him to eternally serve the Chapter, the Imperium and the Allfather.
After all... duty is eternal.

JFgRk8p.jpg

Both the Indomitus Crusade and the Reclamation and Securing of the 'Emperor's Lance' Macro-Sector took heavy tolls on the Wolves of Skogr and their Brother Chapters.
Only rarely could a Marine with enough tenacity to hold on be saved and interred into a Redemptor Dreadnought. But those that successfully adapted to their new body would go on to wreck havoc among the enemies of the Imperium.

tO5geTx.jpg

Haywire Mines! ...or... how to blow up any Xenos, Heretic and Traitor!
Quite fun to do something tiny and small for once, especially when you can incorporate some "Simon says" buttons.

Apih0nf.jpg

LVypz72.jpg

Incursors of the Wolves of Skogr are the ideal counterpart to Reivers, supplying them with fire support, battle analytics and sensory data. In return Reivers distract and attack the enemy while the Incursors take out important targets, lay Haywire Mines or set up Meltabombs.

1tz4rwS.jpg

Every good Vanguard Force needs a Leader - and the Sons of Russ adapt really well to this role, jumping into the fray with speed, silence... and deadly skills.

sFheQ8M.jpg

LGCZsrP.jpg

As all Chapters of the Ultima Founding, the Wolves of Skogr have incorporated the role of Judiciar into their Forces. As part of the Wolf Priests, he keeps the runts in line, decides on punishments for failures and executes enemies of the Chapter right where they are found.

RjhqQxd.jpg

Grey Slayers are battle-brothers who are embracing the howl of Morkai in their hearts. It is an immense danger and they are carefully watched by the suspicious Wolf Priests, but their effectivity and talent for murder are without question.

cWHWoq6.jpg

To ward off the depravity of the Warp and it's dangers, the Grey Slayers mark themselves in blood before battle. Using ancient runes and patterns, tought to them by the Rune Priests of the Chapter, they try to channel the power of Morkai himself.
(Yes, I used THE Slayer Rune... it was too good not to do it.)

oQrbGtZ.jpg
meoQTHn.jpg
T4f5lAW.jpg
S234BlQ.jpg

Skogran Wolves are an integral part of the Chapter, even in battle they stay close to the Primaris, providing them with back-up ammunition and supplies of all sorts. Even more so, their instincts are invaluable on the hunt...

kPi7lLL.jpg

2CbMOhX.jpg

Exceptional Veterans of the Indomitus Crusade filled the Leadership roles of the Chapter, but only a select few where elevated to become Wolf Priests, Rune Priests or Iron Priests.
Uthar 'The Sunwolf' was bestowed with one of the highest honors achievable. He became the first Wolf High Priest of Skogr.

O009VcM.jpg

And now, some... support for the Iron Priests of my Chapter.
First up, a Servitor:

EZHJ5OB.jpg

Secondly, two heavy-support Ambots. Equipped with a more nuanced array of sensors and communication devices, they extend the view the Iron Priests have over the battlefield. With their servo-arms they can easily haul wrecks out of the way, get rid of debris or free battle-brothers out of wrecks. Last, but not least, they are quite mobile heavy-weapons platforms and can support any Marine operation with firepower, alongside their masters.

HxIeZwi.jpg

NDKcZy9.jpg

Also I made this little Holo-Table as a Mission Objective. Including a big fat red Exterminatus Button.

qARni0g.jpg