Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

IA: Prædicators

Minigiant Algonquin Fleet Based Silver Skulls Adeptus Astartes Successor Ultramarines Lovecraft Cthulhu Navigators

• Please log in to reply
89 replies to this topic

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,744 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
Good job on The Mad King. May I ask who's narrating the story?

Centuries passed as the Prædicators wandered lonely through the dust clouds and nebulae, with the tendrils of their madness forever worming its way into their hearts and their minds[,] but[ ]a sense of security and complacency had set in, as they began to believe that if you could steel yourself from your initial haunting nightmares the madness would eventually never come.

<Snip.>

The enforced slumber drove his hellish nightmares beyond anything you can contemplate.

Emphasis mine. If you don't intend to cite a source, e.g., add something like "Testament of Techmarine Gustaf Johansen, given in confidence to Inquisitor John Raymond Legrasse of the Ordo Astartes, regarding the reason the Chapter does not operate Dreadnoughts," then you should replace "you" with "one", to tell the story from a more neutral point-of-view and eliminate the need for a narrator.
Spoiler

Possible typo:
Spoiler

Previous projects: Wolves of Catachan (the Wolfbrothers Chapter reborn), Steel Crusaders (Codex: Iron Hands), Iron-hearted Angels (Codex: Blood Angels supplement).

Current projects: Knights of Renaissance (Star Wars: The Force Awakens Marines), Grim Knights of Grimm Nights (Red vs. Blue Marines).

Minigiant

Minigiant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 840 posts
  • Faction: Prædicators

Good job on The Mad King. May I ask who's narrating the story

Do you mean something like this

TO: Inquisitor-Lord Hargarrk Mostalah

RE: Report on on-going Investigation of Adeptus Astartes Chapter “Prædicators”

• Field observation of Adeptus Astartes Chapter ‘Prædicators' found no data to suggest any deployment of the ancient war machines hereby referred to as Dreadnoughts. Records do confirm however receival of Dreadnought frames upon founding. Further investigation was conducted. Find enclosed an extract of Techmarine Cildil Shuli’s testament, given in confidence regarding the reason Adeptus Astartes Chapter ‘Prædicators’ do not operate Dreadnoughts

To this I set my Hand and Sigil, in this year 40,917, day 127.

I remain His servant, Inquisitor Verticer von Hal

The Machine spirits story is that we had been wandering lonely through the dust clouds and nebulae, with the tendrils of our madness worming its way into our hearts and minds but, a sense of security and complacency had set in. We started to believe that if you could steel yourself from the initial onslaught of haunting nightmares the madness would eventually never come.

It was a fallacy that would create a most fateful night upon our former flagship, Vorpalsun. Captain Trali Bhaohas of the 7th Company, at nearly two centuries old was mortally wounded at the Eternity Bridge and was subsequently entombed within the ancient sarcophagi of a venerable Dreadnought.

The enforced slumber drove his hellish nightmares beyond anything you or I can contemplate. His Sarcophagi became a prison, and he became isolated, void of all physical sensation and left with only his thoughts. No mental fortitude could endure that amount of anguish and eventually the emotional turmoil, and mental fatigue became too much to bear and he succumbed into a darkness and madness not before seen.

His force of will awoke the machine spirit he was within, and a pulsating aura of madness that engulfed and surrounded him, activated his entombed Brothers mind impulse units, awakening them, for them to succumb to insanity in an instant. These Dreadnoughts buckled corridors with their enormous mass, assault cannon fire, flayed armour, vital conduits along the ships hull, and their power fists crumpled bulkhead doors with ease. It was a wave of destruction spewed throughout the bow of the ship. It caused innumerous amounts of damage and slayed many Brothers who attempted to halt the chaos, and end Bhaohas’ suffering. The destruction was only halted when Bhaohas and his fellow madness induced incarcerated Brothers were jettisoned out of an airlock and into the cold vacuum of space where the ships point defense systems could put them out of their misery.

We recovered their bodies and the Dreadnought armour. The bodies were recovered by the Apothecaries, and it was instructed not to repair those three suits but instead stand them in our flagships halls as a reminder that it could all become too much to bear for any of us.

Senior command then ordered life support to be turned off on those Brothers who did not stir from their slumber that night and allow them to drift off quietly in their sleep and end their torment. The lumbering frames are now sealed away to never be seen or used again.

Edited by Minigiant, 15 August 2021 - 09:01 AM.

• Brother Lunkhead and Bjorn Firewalker like this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,744 posts
Yes, like that.
Previous projects: Wolves of Catachan (the Wolfbrothers Chapter reborn), Steel Crusaders (Codex: Iron Hands), Iron-hearted Angels (Codex: Blood Angels supplement).

Current projects: Knights of Renaissance (Star Wars: The Force Awakens Marines), Grim Knights of Grimm Nights (Red vs. Blue Marines).

Minigiant

Minigiant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 840 posts

Origins

T
he history of the Inanis Prædicators can be traced back to the terrifying times around the Year of the Ghosts. The High Lords of Terra ordered a Chapter be founded from the Gene-legacy of the Silver Skulls, the line of Guilliman. Thadru Hucno, ‘The Void Herald’, was appointed as the Chapter’s first Lord Commander. Hucno was known for his superstitions, near-ritualistically talking into the void about his Prognosticators’ divinations, and it is from this practice which the Chapter’s High Gothic name derives.

This nascent Chapter and those which were founded alongside them were created from the most stable of gene-stock; how many chapters were founded alongside the Praedicators is unclear as a great many records have been lost within the labyrinth of the Administratum. All that is known is that at least half a dozen were founded, with the Howling Griffons being the most well-known. A majority of the Chapters from this founding follow the strict organisational and tactical guidelines of the Codex Astartes. Like most of the approximately one thousand chapters in existence, the Prædicators follow the doctrines of the Codex to an extent, but are also known for occasionally deviating from some of the less stringent requirements.

A small detail/mistake/oversight I have noticed, and I don't know if it needs editing.

The Year of the Ghosts - M33.831
Howling Griffons Founding M33.220

There are 600 years between the two. I consider Year of the Ghost to be more important than name dropping Howling Griffons. Do you know any chapters founded in the late 34th Millennium? (That would make an easy name change)

Or would a founding spread over that amount of time?

Edited by Minigiant, 15 August 2021 - 11:49 PM.

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,744 posts

A small detail/mistake/oversight I have noticed, and I don't know if it needs editing.

The Year of the Ghosts - M33.831
Howling Griffons Founding M33.220

There are 600 years between the two. I consider Year of the Ghost to be more important than name dropping Howling Griffons. Do you know any chapters founded in the late 34th Millennium? (That would make an easy name change)

From the article you linked:

860.M33

To end the eight-decade long War of the False Primarch, the High Lords of Terra convene the Pentarchy of Blood. They charge five Space Marine Chapters (the Red Talons, Death Eagles, Carcharodons, Flesh Eaters, and Charnel Guard) with destroying eleven others declared Traitoris Perdita.

You can easily claim the Prædicators were Founded alongside others, to relieve the Second (and later) Founding Chapters charged with the duties of the Pentarchy of Blood. As the Lexicanum article on Founding doesn't name these Chapters, you have the freedom to make them up.

Minigiant

Minigiant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 840 posts

You can easily claim the Prædicators were Founded alongside others, to relieve the Second (and later) Founding Chapters charged with the duties of the Pentarchy of Blood. As the Lexicanum article on Founding doesn't name these Chapters, you have the freedom to make them up.

Good idea, Something like this:

Origins

T
he history of the Inanis Prædicators can be traced back to the terrifying times around the Year of the Ghosts. The High Lords of Terra ordered a Chapter be founded from the Gene-legacy of the Silver Skulls, the line of Guilliman. Thadru Hucno, ‘The Void Herald’, was appointed as the Chapter’s first Lord Commander. Hucno was known for his superstitions, near-ritualistically talking into the void about his Prognosticators’ divinations, and it is from this practice which the Chapter’s High Gothic name derives.

This nascent Chapter and those which were founded alongside them were created to replace the eleven chapters that plunged the Segmentum Pacificus into anarchy and were declared Traitoris Perdita during the War of the False Primarch. To prevent the events that led to an eight decade long war from ever occuring again, only the most stable gene-stock was selected. How many chapters were founded alongside the Praedicators is unclear as a great many records have been purged or lost within the labyrinth of the Administratum. A majority of the Chapters from this founding follow the strict organisational and tactical guidelines of the Codex Astartes. Like most of the approximately one thousand chapters in existence, the Prædicators follow the doctrines of the Codex to an extent, but are also known for occasionally deviating from some of the less stringent requirements.

Believe it or not I actually think I am nearly done. I still want to add a paragraph about the allowance of Primaris Redemptor Dreadnoughts, as well as a brief sentence somewhere to explain that those who have served with the Navigators or Deathwatch tend to go on to be used as Emissaries where necessary given their experiences with dealing with people, and then starts the process of proof-reading again, and then I am done just in time for my new models to arrive

Edit: I have now found discrepancies in my Navigator lore (What do you expect given there's no homelore written about them) so there is that to do too. Basically I wish I had read this article first.

Edited by Minigiant, 16 August 2021 - 01:55 AM.

Gamiel

Gamiel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 481 posts

This nascent Chapter and those which were founded alongside them were created to replace the eleven chapters that plunged the Segmentum Pacificus into anarchy and were declared Traitoris Perdita during the War of the False Primarch. To prevent the events that led to an eight decade long war from ever occurring again, only the most stable gene-stock was selected. How many chapters were founded alongside the Praedicators is unclear as a great many records were purged during that time or have been lost within the labyrinth of the Administratum. A majority of the Chapters from this founding follow the strict organisational and tactical guidelines of the Codex Astartes. Like most of the approximately one thousand chapters in existence, the Prædicators follow the doctrines of the Codex to an extent, but are also known for occasionally deviating from some of the less stringent requirements.

Do you know about this: + Some Things Are Best Left Forgotten + ? If not, maybe you can find something of interest/use from that prodject

Minigiant

Minigiant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 840 posts

This nascent Chapter and those which were founded alongside them were created to replace the eleven chapters that plunged the Segmentum Pacificus into anarchy and were declared Traitoris Perdita during the War of the False Primarch. To prevent the events that led to an eight decade long war from ever occurring again, only the most stable gene-stock was selected. How many chapters were founded alongside the Praedicators is unclear as a great many records were purged during that time or have been lost within the labyrinth of the Administratum. A majority of the Chapters from this founding follow the strict organisational and tactical guidelines of the Codex Astartes. Like most of the approximately one thousand chapters in existence, the Prædicators follow the doctrines of the Codex to an extent, but are also known for occasionally deviating from some of the less stringent requirements.

Do you know about this: + Some Things Are Best Left Forgotten + ? If not, maybe you can find something of interest/use from that prodject

I had not but that is cool.I don't know if anymore info than just the name drop is needed though. Thanks for sharing though

Minigiant

Minigiant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 840 posts
I just watched Color Out of Space and now need to paraphrase this into something an Inquisitor might say

"West of Arkham the hills rise wild, and there are valleys with deep woods that no axe has ever cut. There are dark narrow glens where the trees slope fantastically, and where thin brooklets trickle without ever having caught the glint of sunlight.

When I went into the hills and vales to survey for them to new reservoir. They told me the place was evil. They told me this in Arkham, and because that is a very old town full of Witch legends. I thought the evil must be something that grans whispered down to children for centuries. Then I saw the dark, westward tangle of glens and slopes for myself and ceased to wonder at anything besides its own elder mystery"

Side note: Any ideas/concepts about a flooding exterminatus weapon?

Edited by Minigiant, 16 August 2021 - 02:54 PM.

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,744 posts

Side note: Any ideas/concepts about a flooding exterminatus weapon?

One obvious possibility: Have orbiting warships fire their lances upon the planet's polar ice caps. For more localized effects, fire upon nearby dams.

Alternatively, use virus bombs, which reduce biological matter into a flammable sludge.

The Gaunt's Ghosts novel Traitor General (republished in the Gaunt's Ghosts: The Lost anthology) also mentions a Warp creature (whose name I don't remember) that can open portals between two worlds. In the novel, Chaos forces occupying the agri-world Gereon, use it to drain the planet's oceans and supply water to armies fighting on other worlds. If the creature can be scaled up...

For non-canon ideas, how about mobile weather control devices to start rainstorms that can then start flashfloods? Or having kilometers-long freighters gather comets (made of ice) and then dumping them on a planet?

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,744 posts

I just watched Color Out of Space and now need to paraphrase this into something an Inquisitor might say

The Wikipedia article on Lovecraft's short story The Colour Out of Space, states he took inspiration from The Book of the Damned, Charles Fort's nonfiction book on UFOs, which had the following opening lines:

A procession of the damned.

By the damned, I mean the excluded.

We shall have a procession of data that Science has excluded.

Sounds like something from a Librarian seeking forbidden knowledge, or a Techmarine willing to reverse-engineer xeno technology or otherwise become a Heretek, doesn't it?

Minigiant

Minigiant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 840 posts

This is my first attempt

"Orbiting Ashen the moon gleams wild, and there are craters with stone that no drill has ever cut. There are dark seas where the water advecting fantastically, and where thin streams trickle without ever having caught the glint of sunlight.

When I went to the moon, craters, and maars to investigate a new outpost. They told me the place was evil. They told me this on Ashen, and because that is a very old planet full of unsubstantiatable myths. I thought the evil must be something that was whispered down to children for centuries. Then I saw the dark, orbiting tangle of caldera and basins for myself and ceased to wonder at anything besides its own elder mystery"

Inquisitor Verticer von Hal

Edited by Minigiant, 17 August 2021 - 03:06 AM.

• Bjorn Firewalker likes this

Minigiant

Minigiant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 840 posts

Fortress Monastery - Cetus

Cetus
f3d641356bb8218112357f344a01f79674dc95df

Ostracised by their forebears, the Prædicators were never afforded the luxury of being gifted a mighty relic of the Imperium. A momentary change in their fortune sometime in 35th millennium however afforded the Chapter their first, most powerful, and most prized possession; a pre-Imperial battlestation of unknown origins found floating abandoned around a neutron star, its organic crew long turned to dust by aeons of inimical radiation which had somehow left the vessel’s hardened Machine Spirit intact. Upon sanctification by the Adeptus Mechanicus this gigantic warship would go on to become the Chapter's space bound fortress monastery, flagship, and foremost warship. In form and scale, it is nearer a planetoid than a conventional vessel. Its foredeck can dock a dozen Imperial Navy Cruisers around its circumference. The vessel is a hive city in space, with its great spires reaching towards the stars. It bears a striking resemblance to the trident shaped Furious Abyss-class Super Battleships of the Great Crusade, the last known example of which was slaved to the Word Bearers legion and long thought lost to the Warp. Its potential rivals that of the more famous Phalanx, and if it were fully operational the Praedicators could boast of wielding firepower equivalent to a formidable fleet. For now the Cetus’ power is untested, yet as more and more of its mysteries are explored the Mechanicus swear they are coming ever closer to bringing its weapon systems fully online. For now it remains more of a figurehead, deterring any would-be attackers with its studded surface packed with arched gun batteries, the squat shape of its singular plasma lance, and arrays of Psionic charges - alongside other more esoteric defences which have yet to be fully revealed. Restoring the Cetus has already been the labour of millennia, and it may yet be centuries more before it leads the Chapter into action once more - a prophesied return which has taken on greater significance with each new divination scryed by the Prognosticators

I am thinking about cutting this entirely, it is nice to have but I do not think it adds to anything.

Battlefield Doctrine

The tactical orthodoxy is dictated to a degree by the fact that they are a Fleet Based Chapter of the Adeptus Astartes -

They are codex so nothing special but I think it needs rewritten to focus more upon fleet combat, and boarding actions

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,744 posts
I think the Praedicators (and you) can keep the Cetus, though you need a better story regarding how they got it. Say the mobile star fort was part of a space hulk, which the Marines explored and which they liberated when they started its engines in a desperate attempt to destroy the hulk?

The Cetus not only gives the Chapter a base of operations, it allows them to maintain good relations with the AdMech, whose Tech-priests will pay any price for even a glimpse of such a technological marvel. The mysteries it holds can further justify the Marines' attitudes, e.g., interpreting electronic sounds in its halls as the laughter of dead children whose ghosts haunt the star fort.

Minigiant

Minigiant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 840 posts

The Cetus not only gives the Chapter a base of operations, it allows them to maintain good relations with the AdMech, whose Tech-priests will pay any price for even a glimpse of such a technological marvel. The mysteries it holds can further justify the Marines' attitudes, e.g., interpreting electronic sounds in its halls as the laughter of dead children whose ghosts haunt the star fort.

It is a little bit too Mary-Sue for me right now whereas a Battle Barge or a Ramilles Class Star-fort is far more within Astartes Lore and likelihood.

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,744 posts

It is a little bit too Mary-Sue for me right now whereas a Battle Barge or a Ramilles Class Star-fort is far more within Astartes Lore and likelihood.

Fair enough. Will the battle barge or star fort seem haunted, its crew interpreting engine noises as ghosts moaning, and believe weeping angels become visible when the lights flicker?

Minigiant

Minigiant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 840 posts

Fair enough. Will the battle barge or star fort seem haunted, its crew interpreting engine noises as ghosts moaning, and believe weeping angels become visible when the lights flicker?

It is going to be left unsaid I think

Minigiant

Minigiant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 840 posts

I made a Google Drive Link for people to offer suggestions and ideas etc

https://docs.google....dit?usp=sharing

Minigiant

Minigiant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 840 posts

I need name suggestions for vehicle names

Prædicator Predator 'Chalice of Fire' (Name shamelessly stolen from Badab War Book 1 but a good example nonetheless)

Minigiant

Minigiant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 840 posts

A big THANK YOU to Algrim Whitefang for making these (I am too excited to wait to share them all at once)

gallery_4536_17143_49098.png

gallery_4536_17143_1046107.png

gallery_4536_17143_1164582.png

Edited by Minigiant, 03 September 2021 - 09:20 AM.

• Gamiel, Bjorn Firewalker and gripschi like this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,744 posts

How about using epithets for Cthulhu Mythos deities, e.g., "Devourer in the Mist" (Abholos), "Devourer of Stars" (Ammutseba), "Cold Flame" (Aphoom-Zhah), "Widowmaker in the Woods" (adapted from Aylith's epithet "Widow in the Woods"), "Soul-Chilling Ice-God" (B'gnu-Thun), etc.?

Prædicator Predator 'Chalice of Fire' (Name shamelessly stolen from Badab War Book 1 but a good example nonetheless)

Can't help but be reminded of the Goblet of Fire.

Minigiant

Minigiant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 840 posts

How about using epithets for Cthulhu Mythos deities, e.g., "Devourer in the Mist" (Abholos), "Devourer of Stars" (Ammutseba), "Cold Flame" (Aphoom-Zhah), "Widowmaker in the Woods" (adapted from Aylith's epithet "Widow in the Woods"), "Soul-Chilling Ice-God" (B'gnu-Thun), etc.?

Those are all great to work with, thank you

Algrim Whitefang

Algrim Whitefang

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 178 posts
  • Faction: Sable Lions & Death Templars

Some more artwork to share with everyone. Enjoy! 

gallery_4536_17143_315881.png

Prædicators Chapter colour scheme (updated). Example of a Tactical Marine of the 5th Company. 

• Bjorn Firewalker and Minigiant like this
gallery_4536_17144_15506.png

gallery_92945_11930_15891.jpeg
Humble adept for the Brotherhood of the Lost Wiki

Algrim Whitefang

Algrim Whitefang

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 178 posts

Some additional images: 

gallery_4536_17143_1774127.png

Veteran Sergeant Zhelkul (Updated)

gallery_4536_17143_1728365.png

The rest of Tactical Squad Zhelkul, 2nd Squad, 5th Battle Company. 

Edited by Algrim Whitefang, 04 September 2021 - 09:07 PM.

Algrim Whitefang

Algrim Whitefang

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 178 posts

How about some vehicles for the Prædicators?

gallery_4536_17143_1903952.png

gallery_4536_17143_416969.png

Edited by Algrim Whitefang, 04 September 2021 - 09:10 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Minigiant, Algonquin, Fleet Based, Silver Skulls, Adeptus Astartes, Successor, Ultramarines, Lovecraft, Cthulhu, Navigators

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users