First time player

Tipper

My wife’s friend wants to join our 40K group. They asked me what she should play. I decided to check out what codexes are out, to take that headache off the table, and found that Dark Eldar have 9th edition rules.

So the question is, would a new player (and I mean, brand new, absolutely no tabletop experience) have more trouble with this army, than with others? I know next to nothing about them, on the table, and have never seen them fight, so I figured I better go ask my pals. I was once advised, many years ago, not to try them because they get no model support and their rules are bad. I was playing 7th edition Chaos at the time and our rules were hella dumb, so it made an impression.

If they are accessible, as far as our hobby is concerned, are there any common pitfalls to avoid? For example, DG cultists are laughably bad, so I’d try to steer a new player away from them.

Cheers m8s!

I love my DE army. It has so many different ways to build. Its a glass cannon but when combo'd well can hit hard. The models are beautiful. The new book is beautiful. My main suggestion is look the dex over and see if she likes what it contains. The obsessions lend a good boost to certain units and weapons are good. Let us know what y'all decide.

After that and choosing preference more suggestions on play can be visited.

It's definitely a steeper learning curve than other factions, but not insane or anything.  But having three subfactions complicates list building a bit.  Even if all the mechanics make sense it just adds a lot to remember up front compared to other factions.  Movement can be a little more punishing also, since (as Dread pointed out) Drukhari are very much glass cannons.  It makes it a lot more important to move in a way that protects your more important assets.  Every game I have lost with Drukhari has involved me being too aggressive and leaving things exposed, or not aggressive enough and having things fail to engage until turn 3.

That said, it is a really fun army, with lots of options that "work" currently.  If you're just playing casually you could probably make any list out of the codex and have it do ok.  

Indeed, DE are not the easiest of armies to play but someone being new to the hobby is just that. Doesn't mean they can't quickly get up to speed with an army and the rules if so inclined. I'd say the important thing for any new player is to peruse the armies and find models they like, then filter by play styles etc - something you are well suited to guide on as a current player :smile.: There are lots of ways to play and rules change, but models are forever :wink:

As noted the DE range is great and the older kits still hold up well, but everything is subjective and of course it's a moot point if the army doesn't play how they want to. Having three armies in one is also a bonus or drawback depending, plus there is the lore of course as another factor :tongue.:

I said “think evil space elf pirates…”

She said, “I’ll buy them tomorrow!”

“Don’t you wanna know how they play?”

“Payday is tomorrow, send me links to what I need to buy!”

So I guess we got a Drukhari player now. Sent her the codex and the combat patrol box cause we play 500 point games. Only 2 of the 7 in the group had models before I put the group together. I honestly don’t think she understands what all the hobby entails, but she’s an adult. Now we have a DG, Sisters, Nids, Guard, Blood Angels, Orks, a DE. Definitely gonna be interesting! Wish us luck. And thanks for y’all’s feedback!