Synergies our 9th edition codex supplement is built around?

Helias_Tancred

I read this on another chapter forum here .... "The entire codex is built around synergies ..."

And it begged me to ask this question: What synergies is our 9th edition codex supplement built around?

They were definitely talking about C:BA?

Yea, there's synergies in there...they're just not particularly powerful, or easily replicated by other chapters. 

We get +1 to wound in combat, which synergises with +1 to charge, making combat more likely...but not as likely as for White Scars.

We're a mobile, fast chapter, that hits hard...though not as fast mobile or hard hitting as White Scars. 

With our built-in buff to wound in melee, we are free to focus on buffs that boost our to-Hit rolls instead. Captains, Litany of Hate and Heirs of Azkellon are our bread-and-butter when stacked on good melee units.

We also have the only Jump Pack Apothecary in the form of the Sanguinary Priest. He works well with Sanguinary Guard as he can trigger both Heirs of Azkellon and also heal/res fallen models. Plasma Inceptors are good in any army but work particularly well for us as we are quite likely to be packing a Jump Captain anyway so you can keep those overheats in check. Stack with the Descent of Angels Stratagem and you be hitting on a rerollable 2+ with a lot of overcharged plasma shots.

Phobos units are fun and allow some sneaky tricks but are a bit lacking in punch. This is where Jump Death Company come in handy along with Forlorn Fury. Take a Phobos Character with Lord of Deceit (I favour the Phobos Librarian with Armour Indomitus) and deploy a screen of Incursors aggressively in the mid-field. Deploy your DC on the edge of your Deployment Zone. If you get first turn, use Forlorn Fury to jump the DC up and hit your enemy with them while the Incursors tie up their support units. If you don't get T1, use Lord of Deceit to pull the Phobos units back a bit if it looks like they are in danger of being charged/shot by the enemy.

Terminator Assault Units are great for us. Support them with a Chaplain with Icon of the Angel and both Litany of Hate and Canticle of Hate. Best version is a Biker Chaplain as he can move 14" meaning he can chant both litanties when the Termies arrive from Reserve. Then you have just a 7" reollable charge to lay the hurt on the enemy (83% chance of success). Alternatively use a Jump/terminator chaplain to arrive with the Termies from Reserve and use the stratagem to auto-chant Canticle of Hate outside the Command Phase.

I read this on another chapter forum here .... "The entire codex is built around synergies ..."

And it begged me to ask this question: What synergies is our 9th edition codex supplement built around?

They were definitely talking about C:BA?

Yea, there's synergies in there...they're just not particularly powerful, or easily replicated by other chapters. 

We get +1 to wound in combat, which synergises with +1 to charge, making combat more likely...but not as likely as for White Scars.

We're a mobile, fast chapter, that hits hard...though not as fast mobile or hard hitting as White Scars. 

No, it was from a thread on the Grey Knights sub forum where they were talking about their new codex.

I agree that our synergies are sorta so-so at the moment. Several of our critical chapter specific stratagems should have moved from 8th to 9th verbatim. Three specifically. That would have made a difference.

• 2 weeks later...

With Grey Knights it can get complicated as you have the usual Marine mix of warlord traits, litanies, psychic powers, and strats but then you also have the individual unit powers and now the brotherhoods ... so finding those cascade effects of "this brotherhood + this warlord trait on Draigo standing next to a strike squad in the tide of x " etc etc. has been a big discussion since the codex released a week or two back. 

There are similar conversations to be had for the BAs but since the book has been out for a while I think a lot of that has been settled for now or at least talked through to the point there are some standard things people will do such as what Karhedron mentions above.