No CSM codex in 2021

Bulwyf

Yeah, well said PJ.

At this point we should just be happy our codex artwork will FINALLY be updated, anything else is gravy on top.

LOL they've been using that same (awesome, the way) art for our codex covers since 6th Edition. what makes you think they'll change it now?

The simple answer to this is nobody needs to be last, GW could develop all the factions before release and update the game in one release. Other tabletop games do this, GW did this to a limited extent when 8th released. This is a deliberate policy decision by GW.

The issue is 'new' GW is committed to milking as much cash as possible from fans and players with no concern for the way this impacts on the game or the community. GW is not your friend no matter how invested in the hobby you are, GW is a money making concern first and always, gaming and its development are minor concerns for them. They would pay games developers much more than virtual minimum wage and employ more than two people in the rules departments of both their major games if the game was a high priority to their sales plan.

If your army is not updated early in a new edition GW would prefer it if you bought another army that is now the new hotness it's that simple.

Preaching truth frater!

100% truth. Hard facts many people don't want to acknowledge or think about.

The simple answer to this is nobody needs to be last, GW could develop all the factions before release and update the game in one release. Other tabletop games do this, GW did this to a limited extent when 8th released. This is a deliberate policy decision by GW.

I don't disagree with any of what you said, and absolutely would prefer all factions to get their new edition updates at the same time.

But that ship has long since sailed for 9th Edition so it is really not relevant for this particular conversation which is specifically complaining about being later in the release sequence; we already know there is a staggered release for factions this edition so wishing for it to be otherwise serves no purpose. Somebody was first, somebody will be last.

Can it change for 10th? Sure, but frankly while GW keep raking it in, it won't.

True Haladaar

it is just so frustrating that GW believe we should be grateful that they turned their gaze towards a faction we are wanting to play on a level with other armies that have already seen an update. I hope the rumours are true that CSM will get 2 new factions in this edition my concern is over how long the later 9th edition armies will get to play before 10th throws everyone back in the mixer.

Then top that off with the 2W CSM that we know 100% are on their way which could easily have been FAQ'd without breaking the game and its not a great place to be in. Maybe some factions simply will not get an update before 10th arrives, its not the first time that would have happened.

Anyway I hope we receive a worthwhile update once it arrives, ideally as broken as Ad Mech but then again maybe not that horrid

There was nothing suggesting we'd get a new codex any time soon, especially with GW's sporadic and weird Covid release schedule. I was certainly not expecting a codex until 2022. I'd rather know now that there's no releases planned for the rest of the year than not know at all. It's refreshing that they communicate this at all! It also gives us a certain predictability and way forward.

I'm encouraged by the fact that they said 2022 will be a "bumper year" for Chaos. I'm taking the rumour specifics with a tequila-addicted Dreadclaw's worth of salt, but hoping for Possessed and Chosen!

There is a common Chaos problem here.

Compare us to Eldar or Guard or Sisters or Orks. Not SMs. We're cock-of-the-walk in terms of support (frequency)

Edit: In answer to your question, he's half right. There's now enough precedent (recent codex trends) for optimism, but also (longterm) for pessimism.

Exactly. We're antagonists, not the protagonists. Compare us to Eldar - they're still partially working off early 90s Jes Goodwin sculpts. 

There was nothing suggesting we'd get a new codex any time soon, especially with GW's sporadic and weird Covid release schedule. I was certainly not expecting a codex until 2022. I'd rather know now that there's no releases planned for the rest of the year than not know at all. It's refreshing that they communicate this at all! It also gives us a certain predictability and way forward.

I'm encouraged by the fact that they said 2022 will be a "bumper year" for Chaos. I'm taking the rumour specifics with a tequila-addicted Dreadclaw's worth of salt, but hoping for Possessed and Chosen!

There is a common Chaos problem here.

Compare us to Eldar or Guard or Sisters or Orks. Not SMs. We're cock-of-the-walk in terms of support (frequency)

Edit: In answer to your question, he's half right. There's now enough precedent (recent codex trends) for optimism, but also (longterm) for pessimism.

Exactly. We're antagonists, not the protagonists. Compare us to Eldar - they're still partially working off early 90s Jes Goodwin sculpts.

Hey, leave Skalthrix out of this. They're going to rehab....again....for the 6th time...

I mean, GW doesn't hate chaos.  Sure, we don't get as many releases or as reliable codeces as loyalists, but the loyalist marines are the poster child for the entire setting, and we get more releases, more codeces, and more love in general than literally any faction other than loyalist marines.  Especially since people seem to be comparing chaos marines to 'all loyalist marines' and not just 'generic space marines'.  If you're going to take that wider view of loyalists then you should take the same wider view of chaos marines, and by that standard we've seen two new codeces in 9e already with the DG and TS.  Honestly, I wouldn't even want the full marine treatment, since that means so many new units all the time that your entire army is basically obsolted ever other edition practically.  That's way too much to keep up with.

And lets not forget that the last generic CSM wave wasn't ~that~ long ago, especially when you consider covid delays, and the release wave we saw was fantastic.  Not just great new kits, but great new kits for existing staple units - basic chaos marines, havoks, & terminators were all welcome updates and they look great.  And new models for outdated kits are absolutely a show of love from GW, their accountants would much rather have them release entirely new units under the theory that a certain percentage of existing faction players will opt not to upgrade to new units if they already have the old ones.  Do you know what loyalist players would do for actual new tacticals, terminators, and devastators, instead of yet another random new primaris unit?  What nid players would do for new gaunts and warriors?  How long Eldar players have been begging for new guardians and aspects?

A delayed CSM codex could also be giving GW the space to spin out one or both of the remaining cult legions into their own books, which would be amazing to see.  Not just because it would mean new models for 'zerks and noise marines - both sorely needed - and new daemon primarchs - which would no doubt be jaw dropping - but also because removing the remaining cult legions from the generic CSM book would clear some clutter, potentially making room for more detailed rules for the non-cult legions actually in the book instead of expecting us to lug a codex and 2 to 3 expansion or campaign supplements to every game.  IF we see one or more new spin off cult books (admittedly a big IF, since afaik there's no confirmation on that front yet), then I'd say the delay to our main book is absolutely worth it, even if it means sitting out virtually the entirety of 9e.

I mean, I get the frustration in the mean time.  Yeah, they absolutely could and should have just FAQd in the extra wound - though that wouldn't necessarily make the faction stronger.  More wounds means more points investment into defense, which in turn means less points efficient offense).  I personally haven't played a single game of 9e, nor even purchased the rules, and I have exactly zero motivation to do so /until/ there's a new CSM book.  My fancy new chaos marines, terminators, and havocs from the previous release remain assembled but unpainted, gathering dust on storage shelves.  In the mean time, there are other hobbies, or other games within this hobby, or other factions within this game.

He's only heard of Chosen and a new Warpsmith from the list below. I honestly don't think that list is real. I'll believe we're getting Renegades and Heretics when I see it.

Those were the ones I was most interested in anyways (well those 2 and bikes). Time will tell I suppose.

Bikes could be mistaken for legion Hussars, they don't have models yet for HH. Its plausible IMO