grey knight list 2k new book

yowsaman

after some reading online and in the book and looking for the best combo's to put together a comp. list i came up with the following. 

the only thing i'm not really sure of are the amount of CP (6) i have left to use to pull of certain combo gimmick's.

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Grey Knights) 

+ Configuration +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)

Brotherhood: Rapiers

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems +

Armoury of Titan [-1CP]: 1 Additional Relic

+ HQ +

Brotherhood Chaplain : 1. Words of Power, 3: Sanctuary, Gem of Inoktu

Brotherhood Librarian : 4: Vortex of Doom, 5: Armoured Resilience, 6: Psychich Epitome, Artisan Nullifier Matrix, Shield of Humanity
. Nemesis Force Sword

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight : 2: Empyric Amplification, 4: First to the Fray, Dreadfist, Dreadknight teleporter, Exemplar of the Silver Host, Gatling Psilencer, Heavy Psycannon, Inescapable Wrath, Nemesis Greatsword, Servant of the Throne, Sigil of Exigence, Warlord

+ Troops +

Strike Squad 
. 4x Grey Knight (Sword): 4x Nemesis Force Sword, 4x Storm Bolter
. Grey Knight Justicar
. . Nemesis Force Sword

Strike Squad 
. 4x Grey Knight (Halberd): 4x Nemesis Force Halberd, 4x Storm Bolter
. Grey Knight Justicar
. . Nemesis Force Halberd

Strike Squad 
. Grey Knight Justicar
. . Nemesis Force Sword

+ Fast Attack +

Interceptor Squad 
. 9x Interceptor (Falchions): 18x Nemesis Falchion, 9x Storm Bolter
. Interceptor Justicar
. . Nemesis Falchions

Interceptor Squad 
. Interceptor Justicar
. . Nemesis Falchions

++ Patrol Detachment -2CP (Imperium - Grey Knights)

+ Configuration +

Brotherhood: Swordbearers

Detachment Command Cost [-2CP]

+ HQ +

Brotherhood Techmarine : 1: Gate of Infinity, 3: Unyielding Anvil, Boltgun, Power axe, Shield of Humanity
. Servo Arms

Lord Kaldor Draigo [: 1: Gate of Infinity, 2: Empyric Amplification, 5: Warp Shaping

+ Troops +

Strike Squad 
. Grey Knight Justicar
. . Nemesis Force Halberd

+ Heavy Support +

Nemesis Dreadknight: Dreadfist, Dreadknight teleporter, Gatling Psilencer, Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis Greatsword

Nemesis Dreadknight: Dreadfist, Gatling Psilencer, Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis Greatsword

++ Total: [114 PL, 6CP, 2,000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe (https://battlescribe.net)

like stated, i only have 6 CP left with this list and makes me kind of unsure if that would be enough to let the list work optimal. Not sure about the techpriest included if he would be a +. but the tactic here is that he stay's with the two dreadknights and make them obsec and repairs them. 

edit: the libby has the them of inoktu and not the chaplain. apparently battlescibe wont let you take it on the libby. but the book say's nothing about it that you can not do it. 

the librarian is made so that he can support with casting but also that you can throw him around the bord late or mid game to MW a unit to smithereens. 

let me know what you guy's think.  

I like this list a lot! It does seem to have a lot of Characters, I wonder if you could forgo a couple and get more for the points? The Dreadknights are bound to move up the board a lot quicker than the Techmarine... I doubt you'll get much oppurtunity to heal or give the +1 to hit... plus between Swordbearers strats, deep striking strats and re-rolls they might not really need it. The Chaplain I'm having an inner debate about myself. The main reason I'd take him is for Invocation of Focus for a +1 to cast on those key Blessings (though this list doesn't really lean on Sanctuary going off, could be nice on one of the Interceptor bricks though), and having Words of Power as a backup with the stratagem. Still, Litanies only go off on a 3+, and seeing as you're pretty strapped for CP paying the 2CP is gonna be steep. For those points, you could get a fully kitted DK. I might re-arrange the detachments as well, putting the GMDK, 2 (or 3!) DKs in the Batallion as Swordbearers, with your Patrol holding your Interceptors for all those attacks on the Falchions. I'm unsure what your second Trait is on the GMDK, but by removing the Tech you'd basically free up a CP/could give Anvil to the big dude, his large footprint gives you additionnal coverage. I think you'd still have all your key powers covered (you could even go full ham on the Libby with Vortex/Flame), with Draigo knowing three and the GMDK knowing 2. I know that with my recommendations we're going down the route of what seems to be the "netlist" take on GK at the moment, and I dunno if that's where you want to head, but seeing as you want this to be competitive, that's how I'd change it. 

Otherwise, the list has everything it needs to be good, good firepower, strong psychic utility and MW output, MSU and fast options for grabbing objectives/maxing Purifying Ritual (if that's where you want to go), good beatsticks. Let us know how it goes when you try it out!

I like this list a lot! It does seem to have a lot of Characters, I wonder if you could forgo a couple and get more for the points? The Dreadknights are bound to move up the board a lot quicker than the Techmarine... I doubt you'll get much oppurtunity to heal or give the +1 to hit... plus between Swordbearers strats, deep striking strats and re-rolls they might not really need it. The Chaplain I'm having an inner debate about myself. The main reason I'd take him is for Invocation of Focus for a +1 to cast on those key Blessings (though this list doesn't really lean on Sanctuary going off, could be nice on one of the Interceptor bricks though), and having Words of Power as a backup with the stratagem. Still, Litanies only go off on a 3+, and seeing as you're pretty strapped for CP paying the 2CP is gonna be steep. For those points, you could get a fully kitted DK. I might re-arrange the detachments as well, putting the GMDK, 2 (or 3!) DKs in the Batallion as Swordbearers, with your Patrol holding your Interceptors for all those attacks on the Falchions. I'm unsure what your second Trait is on the GMDK, but by removing the Tech you'd basically free up a CP/could give Anvil to the big dude, his large footprint gives you additionnal coverage. I think you'd still have all your key powers covered (you could even go full ham on the Libby with Vortex/Flame), with Draigo knowing three and the GMDK knowing 2. I know that with my recommendations we're going down the route of what seems to be the "netlist" take on GK at the moment, and I dunno if that's where you want to head, but seeing as you want this to be competitive, that's how I'd change it. 

Otherwise, the list has everything it needs to be good, good firepower, strong psychic utility and MW output, MSU and fast options for grabbing objectives/maxing Purifying Ritual (if that's where you want to go), good beatsticks. Let us know how it goes when you try it out!

about the techmarine: indeed he is slower then the dreadknights. but that's wy he has Gate. to keep up with them. only problem...if you miscast...well he is just standing there. maybe better remove him and put those points somewhere else. 

About moving the GMND to the patrol or switching the patrol to rapiers and the battalion to swordbearers: altough it give the GM the option of the psychic power of the Swordbearers. it makes my strike squads (3) lose the rapier psychic powers and Strategems. in my eyes more of a loss. i allready have two dreadknights with the Swordbearer power. 

the chaplain is just to good to give up. word of power is so good when it gets off. send a interceptor squad at an enemy with buffs from driago and chaplain en they will decimate everything. (still with a nerf maybe comming up in the FAQ: its better to remove him then from the list, but for now it's a to powerfull combo)

i changed the list to the following: 

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Grey Knights)  ++

+ Configuration [12CP] +

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)  [7CP]

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems [-1CP] +

Armoury of Titan [-1CP]: 1 Additional Relic [-1CP]

+ HQ [26 PL, -2CP, 500pts] +

Brotherhood Chaplain: 1. Words of Power, 3: Sanctuary, Brotherhood Psyker Power, Crozius Arcanum, Foretelling of Locus [2 PL, 30pts], Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade, Storm Bolter

Brotherhood Librarian : 4: Purifying Flame, 4: Vortex of Doom, 6: Psychich Epitome, Artisan Nullifier Matrix, Brotherhood Psyker Power, Crux Terminatus, Frag & Krak grenades, Gem of Inoktu , Psyk-out Grenade, Shield of Humanity [-1CP]

. Nemesis Force Sword: Nemesis Force Sword

. Storm Bolter : Storm Bolter

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight : 2: Empyric Amplification, 3: Unyielding Anvil, 4: First to the Fray, Brotherhood Psyker Power, Dreadfist, Dreadknight teleporter, Exemplar of the Silver Host [-1CP], Gatling Psilencer , Grand Master Chapter, Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis Greatsword, Servant of the Throne, Sigil of Exigence, Warlord

+ Troops  +

Strike Squad : Brotherhood Psyker Power, Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade

. Grey Knight Justicar: Storm Bolter

. . Nemesis Force Sword: Nemesis Force Sword

Strike Squad: Brotherhood Psyker Power, Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade

. . Nemesis Force Halberd: Nemesis Force Halberd

Strike Squad: Brotherhood Psyker Power, Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade

+ Fast Attack +

Interceptor Squad: Brotherhood Psyker Power, Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade

. Interceptor Justicar: Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade, Storm Bolter

. . Nemesis Falchions: 2x Nemesis Falchion

Interceptor Squad : Brotherhood Psyker Power, Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade

. 9x Interceptor (Falchion): 18x Nemesis Falchion, 9x Storm Bolter

. Interceptor Justicar: Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade, Storm Bolter

++ Patrol Detachment -2CP (Imperium - Grey Knights) ++

+ Configuration [-2CP] +

Brotherhood: Swordbearers

Detachment Command Cost [-2CP]

+ HQ  +

Lord Kaldor Draigo : 1: Gate of Infinity, 2: Empyric Amplification, 5: Warp Shaping, Frag & Krak grenades, Master-crafted storm bolter, Psyk-out Grenade, The Titansword

+ Troops  +

. 4x Grey Knight (Halberd) : 4x Nemesis Force Halberd, 4x Storm Bolter

. Grey Knight (Psycannon) : Psycannon [5pts]

. Grey Knight Justicar : Storm Bolter

. . Nemesis Force Halberd: Nemesis Force Halberd

+ Heavy Support  +

Nemesis Dreadknight : Dreadfist, Dreadknight teleporter , Gatling Psilencer , Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis Greatsword 

Nemesis Dreadknight : Dreadfist, Dreadknight teleporter , Gatling Psilencer , Heavy Psycannon, Nemesis Greatsword 

- removed the techmarine

- gave the GMND unyielding anvil and removed the warlord thrait from the rapiers

- gave the chaplain foretelling of locus for that 3 unit redeploy

- have 7 CP now

- fave the libby puryfing flame: as the armoured reselience is selfcast and wont to much if he stay's behind and only shunt when necessary. he's now more of a kamikaza libby :happy.:

The main reason I suggested putting the GMDK in Swordbearers is so that he himself can benefit from the Swordbearers power and more importantly the Stratagem, both only work for Sworbearers vehicles/units. At that point if you want to keep your Strikes as Rapiers I get it, bear in mind though you'll probably be using the Stratagem/power on the Interceptors in most scenarios, but like I said, I get it. Words of Power is good, although in my opinion not auto-take good. I love a Chaplain as much (maybe even more!) than the next guy, and like I said I'd use him to increase my casting potential, but the truth is that those prayers only go off on a 3+, which you can't re-roll or improve by any means. Sure the Stratagem is good too, but costs 2 CP in a very CP-strapped list. On paper it's cool, but I think in practice by the time the Chaplain gets into combat/enough of the army is in combat and in range of his aura, you might be starting to run out of CP and want to keep them for other stuff. Fortelling is cool though. At the end of the day, you do you! But competitively speaking, I think there are better options. For the points, a Brother-Captain for re-roll 1s to Wound and a potential +1 to Cast aura might serve you better than a potential 6" extra wound/MW on 6s to Wound aura. Again, looks great on paper, but you could well get the buff off and roll very little sixes on said attack. Ok so just saw it is pick a unit within 6", so there is some flexibility there. I just adhere to the adage that more killy will get you further than more buffs. Still, the list is cool, and definitely has teeth. I think there is an argument for trying to merge into a single Batallion, either Rapiers or Swordbearers. The CP cost means you're going to be hard pressed to pull all of your Stratagems off, but I do see the destructive potential/duality of combining both Brotherhoods.

The main reason I suggested putting the GMDK in Swordbearers is so that he himself can benefit from the Swordbearers power and more importantly the Stratagem, both only work for Sworbearers vehicles/units. At that point if you want to keep your Strikes as Rapiers I get it, bear in mind though you'll probably be using the Stratagem/power on the Interceptors in most scenarios, but like I said, I get it. Words of Power is good, although in my opinion not auto-take good. I love a Chaplain as much (maybe even more!) than the next guy, and like I said I'd use him to increase my casting potential, but the truth is that those prayers only go off on a 3+, which you can't re-roll or improve by any means. Sure the Stratagem is good too, but costs 2 CP in a very CP-strapped list. On paper it's cool, but I think in practice by the time the Chaplain gets into combat/enough of the army is in combat and in range of his aura, you might be starting to run out of CP and want to keep them for other stuff. Fortelling is cool though. At the end of the day, you do you! But competitively speaking, I think there are better options. For the points, a Brother-Captain for re-roll 1s to Wound and a potential +1 to Cast aura might serve you better than a potential 6" extra wound/MW on 6s to Wound aura. Again, looks great on paper, but you could well get the buff off and roll very little sixes on said attack. Ok so just saw it is pick a unit within 6", so there is some flexibility there. I just adhere to the adage that more killy will get you further than more buffs. Still, the list is cool, and definitely has teeth. I think there is an argument for trying to merge into a single Batallion, either Rapiers or Swordbearers. The CP cost means you're going to be hard pressed to pull all of your Stratagems off, but I do see the destructive potential/duality of combining both Brotherhoods.

yeah i see what you mean with the chaplain and it is situational. in my opinion it will geth faq'ed also cause the way you can read it now the 2MW and exploding 6's seem a bit overkill. even without the chaplain the interceptors should do more then enough damage on there own with there strategem, weapons and psychic buffs.

The one brotherhood does ineed save me alot of CP's and free's up some more points to invest in other stuff. maybe i should look into that. if i choose to stick with one brotherhood i would say rapiers is the best choice especially when you are taken interceptors. seen some battles with other mono brotherhoods lists and they just dont have that punch. Sword bearers is a strong competetive but better if you go 4 dreadknights.

so for a single brotherhood i was thinking something in the line of this then:

++ Battalion Detachment 0CP (Imperium - Grey Knights) [109 PL, 9CP, 2,000pts] ++

Battle Size [12CP]: 3. Strike Force (101-200 Total PL / 1001-2000 Points)  

Detachment Command Cost

+ Stratagems [-1CP] +

Armoury of Titan [-1CP]: 1 Additional Relic [-1CP]

+ HQ +

Brotherhood Librarian : 4: Purifying Flame, 4: Vortex of Doom, 6: Psychich Epitome, Artisan Nullifier Matrix, Brotherhood Psyker Power, Crux Terminatus, Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade, Shield of Humanity [-1CP]

. Nemesis Force Sword: Nemesis Force Sword

Grand Master in Nemesis Dreadknight : 2: Empyric Amplification, 3: Unyielding Anvil, 4: First to the Fray, Brotherhood Psyker Power, Dreadfist, Dreadknight teleporter , Exemplar of the Silver Host [-1CP], Gatling Psilencer , Grand Master Chapter, Heavy Psycannon , Nemesis Greatsword , , Sigil of Exigence, Warlord

Lord Kaldor Draigo : 1: Gate of Infinity, 3: Sanctuary, 5: Warp Shaping, Frag & Krak grenades, Master-crafted storm bolter, Psyk-out Grenade, The Titansword

+ Troops  +

Strike Squad  Brotherhood Psyker Power, Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade

. 4x Grey Knight (Sword) : 4x Nemesis Force Sword, 4x Storm Bolter

+ Elites +

Purifier Squad : Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade

. Knight of the Flame : Storm Bolter

. 9x Purifier (Sword) : 9x Nemesis Force Sword, 9x Storm Bolter

+ Fast Attack +

Interceptor Squad : Brotherhood Psyker Power, Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade

. 9x Interceptor (Falchions) : 18x Nemesis Falchion, 9x Storm Bolter

. Interceptor Justicar : Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade, Storm Bolter

Interceptor Squad  Brotherhood Psyker Power, Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade

. 5x Interceptor (Halberd) : 5x Nemesis Force Halberd, 5x Storm Bolter

. 4x Interceptor (Sword) : 4x Nemesis Force Sword, 4x Storm Bolter

. Interceptor Justicar : Frag & Krak grenades, Psyk-out Grenade, Storm Bolter

+ Heavy Support +

Nemesis Dreadknight : Dreadfist, Dreadknight teleporter , Gatling Psilencer , Heavy Psycannon , Nemesis Greatsword 

Nemesis Dreadknight : Dreadfist, Gatling Psilencer , Heavy Psycannon , Nemesis Greatsword 

+ Dedicated Transport +

Rhino  Storm bolter

++ Total: [109 PL, 9CP, 2,000pts] ++

gives me:

- 9 CP

- lost the gem of inoktu on the libby (realized that it was dominus only, so works only on the vortex, and points wasted if he is kamikaza libby)

- lost the chaplain

- inserted 10 purifiers with a rhino

- 3 troops instead of 4 but the unyielding anvil of the warlord should give me extra obsec

Yeah I like it. To be fair Swordbearers is cool and really good if you're going for lots of DKs/vehicles, but the DKs should do well even as another brotherhood. I like the Purifiers in the list, it adds Mortal Wound output to the Libby's, you can really nuke a target. Plus, with Deep Strike and 3CP spent, you can have those Purifiers deep strike in and in range for Flame, get a -1 to Hit against them and a -1 damage when shot at, which can be a headache for your opponent. That Rhino can easily transport some Strikes or just sit on/contest objectives too. Let me know how it goes!

i was also thinking of just 5 purifiers and a rhino (for strikes or purifiers) and just take an ancient for that + 1 A bubble.

let him deepstrike where ever you want and need him in game to give that extra punch to clear a target (give him vortex for MW splash damage).

you could also give him the banner of refining flame, but that would cost me an extra CP and another CP to increase the range for the MW damage combo.

Hmm, I like the 10-man Squad, you can Combat Squad it for more Flame, or keep it as one blob for defensive strats. With Rapiers you've got so much potential for attacks anyways. 3 Characters and only 3 DKs really shuts down Assassination and Bring it Down for Secondary picks, with 4 Characters starting to be interesting at 12VP. Considering the top armies right now, notably AdMech and Drukhari, don't use psykers Abhor is going to be a thing (look out for incoming BTs too) so the less VPs you can give on kills is going to be important. As much as tooling up characters with WL Traits and Relics is cool, I feel going ham on it is kind of a trap, you do want those CP for the key strats we have. I think you've got plenty of MW output from the Libby and Purifiers (especially if you Combat Squad) that you don't need the Banner. 

Hmm, I like the 10-man Squad, you can Combat Squad it for more Flame, or keep it as one blob for defensive strats. With Rapiers you've got so much potential for attacks anyways. 3 Characters and only 3 DKs really shuts down Assassination and Bring it Down for Secondary picks, with 4 Characters starting to be interesting at 12VP. Considering the top armies right now, notably AdMech and Drukhari, don't use psykers Abhor is going to be a thing (look out for incoming BTs too) so the less VPs you can give on kills is going to be important. As much as tooling up characters with WL Traits and Relics is cool, I feel going ham on it is kind of a trap, you do want those CP for the key strats we have. I think you've got plenty of MW output from the Libby and Purifiers (especially if you Combat Squad) that you don't need the Banner. 

yes so true. 

the 10 man squad seems better indeed. i just realized that 4 psylencers or psycannons in a purifier squad is the same point cost as having just a nemesis and storm bolter weapon. 

that would make that 10 man squad even more versatile when combat squading them. 

so taking 4 psycannons in that squad and one stave seems like a good option.