Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Eruption of Filth

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

DreamIsCollapsing

DreamIsCollapsing

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 450 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

Hello all, 

I've got a quick question, in a French forum we have a discussion about the Death guard stratagem Eruption of Filth :

Use this Stratagem in any phase, when a DEATH GUARD CHARACTER model from your army is destroyed instead of using any other rules that are triggered when a model is destroyed (e.g. the Putrid Explosion ability). Before removing that model from play, roll one D6 for each other unit within 3" (excluding NURGLE units): on a 2-5, that unit suffers 1 mortal wound; on a 6, that unit suffers D3 mortal wounds.

In my opinion, every DG character can use this at death door. BUT if this character is Mortarion or a Biologicus, he will not explode with the Putrid Explosion on top of that. 

Other believe that Mortarion and the Biologus are the only character who can be affected by this Strategem (because of the "instead of using any other rules that are triggered when a model is destroyed"). And you cannot use Eruption of Filth on a Lord of Virulence/contagion, Daemon prince or any other DG character. 

So I'm asking the English native speaker : who is right ? 

I looked down the sights of my rifle, my target looked back. It's eyes were all the eyes I'd ever loved. They promised everything I could ever want. Love, comfort, safety. An end to this nightmare. I felt my will draining out of me, entranced by those eyes.

Profil pic by Qsy draw a lot

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,089 posts

This needs an FAQ, because it can be argued either way. Overall though I agree with your opinion. It doesn't say that you must select a DEATH GUARD CHARACTER model with rules that trigger when it is destroyed, only that this effect is triggered instead of any explosion abilities they possess. The intent seems clear to me. Similar stratagems like "Release the Toxins" are much more specific in their requirements.

"All I wish to hear from your imperfect world is the silence of its dead."

Dr_Ruminahui

Dr_Ruminahui

++ CONSULTUS OPERARI ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 2,006 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's 2nd cousins

Yeah, I can't read it as anything other than the first interpretation - there is no requirement that the model has a "when it dies" rule, but if it does, then you can't use it.

• Oxydo and Metzombie like this

DreamIsCollapsing

DreamIsCollapsing

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 450 posts

Ok, thanks for the answers :) 

I looked down the sights of my rifle, my target looked back. It's eyes were all the eyes I'd ever loved. They promised everything I could ever want. Love, comfort, safety. An end to this nightmare. I felt my will draining out of me, entranced by those eyes.

Profil pic by Qsy draw a lot

Xenith

Xenith

++ NETATOR FEROCIS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 14,022 posts

Coming back to this one as I'm fighting Death Guard later:

Yeah, I can't read it as anything other than the first interpretation - there is no requirement that the model has a "when it dies" rule, but if it does, then you can't use it.

It specifically says you can use eruption of filth instead of any other 'on death' abilities the unit has.

To me it's pretty clear you need to sacrifice something to get it - same as Putrid detonation.

In other words, you can use it on a character, but if there's nothing you can do instead of it, the strat has no effect. 

gallery_58096_11725_17801.pnggallery_58096_14832_1433.gifgallery_58096_14832_1808.gifgallery_58096_11725_17950.pnggallery_29004_9303_844.pnggallery_58096_13272_607.pnggallery_48988_17207_10696.pnggallery_48988_17425_25905.png

Xenos XX\

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users