What to expect from 9e CSM

*Looks at newly built unit of havocs with 4 chaincannons*

Hello, Dreadclaw turn 1, and a prescience sorc to chaperone. Mark of Slaanesh for double shootin’ (if that is even possible any more). Edit: unmodified so nm. Chaos lord for reroll 1’s, there.

That sounds like a fun alpha strike.

Assuming Havocs don't move to limited loadouts.

That is a great point. Oof… we shall see.

Some rumours around reddit/fb regarding new doctrine and NL legion rules. Can't speak for their actual veracity, but seem mostly believable stuff - still, word of mouth being what it is, who knows.

krqunqcz48c81.jpg

If it's genuine can't say I'm too thrilled with the doctrine ability - arguably a worse buff than the loyalist -1ap, and with the same turn scaling which I would say doesn't fit, given that overall we are geared more towards getting in combat early on with shooting being secondary.

The NL stuff looks nice however, assuming that they mean -1 for Combat attrition tests (making 1-2 or 1-3 a failure), with the nice bonus condition when trying to finish off low strength units or units that are debuffed by the aura enough.

To quote from someone on reddit concerning the strat however - 'The stratagem is weird and is less likely than the rest: the "no deep-strike turn 1" is only in Matched play rules not in the core rules. (They never made a stratagem for Matched play only).'

I know someone in the know, and these are legit. Also I mathed out the doctrine and it is better in most cases when compared to the SM doctrine.

AP0.jpgAP1.jpgAP2.jpg

AP3.jpg

AP4.jpg

As always, more dakka is more better. Curious to see what ends up happening to the Icon of Excess (and the others), though. It's already the best icon on non-World Eaters and I doubt it would break the game to leave it as-is even if the others get brought up to par, but also it seems like the kind of interaction that would get moved to a stratagem.

I wonder if Icon of Vengeance stacks with the night lords rules... that would be nasty - I've had moment that I lost a few blightlords to unlucky rolls, I can't imagine  a big terminator unit  getting +2 to CA rolls and potentially losing a LOT to morale...

And raptors might actually be decent as a late game objective grabberunit - full squad with icon of Khorne and exploding 6s wont be bad, especially as nightlords...

The bight lords one is +1 to ca for the ennemies roll. The vengeance one is +1 for your unit makong them more resilient to CA.

Got any other legion rules handy? :biggrin.:

Another cool thing is that chosen are 3w. So we effectively hace BGV equivalents now

What about their loadout? What are the limitations? The storm shields and master crafted swords are the things that matter and I don't foresee we'll get either of those options. :-/

Edited by Khornestar

The bight lords one is +1 to ca for the ennemies roll. The vengeance one is +1 for your unit makong them more resilient to CA.

To clarify, with the night lords do you actually mean +1 for the enemies roll, or mean -1? +1 would kinda kneecap aiming for morale casualties, and I didn't think the NL were scheduled to be the csm punching bags this edition round :P

Also thanks for the tables, saw ya post them on the Reddit sub so glad to see them here as well (welcome to the forum ;) ), can see I might've been too dismissive considering the strength of the extra hits, even if it is more swingy

To clarify, with the night lords do you actually mean +1 for the enemies roll, or mean -1? +1 would kinda kneecap aiming for morale casualties, and I didn't think the NL were scheduled to be the csm punching bags this edition round :P

Also thanks for the tables, saw ya post them on the Reddit sub so glad to see them here as well (welcome to the forum ;) ), can see I might've been too dismissive considering the strength of the extra hits, even if it is more swingy

Haha your right, -1 ca for NL and +1 to vengeance.

I know quite a few details about the new codex, but i dont want to get my source in trouble. I will drop some more hints later on, but from what i was told, hold on to your butts. Litterally everything I was told gave me a :cuss eating grin, and the things already discussed above are just the beginning.

Vengeance +1 CA

Khorne +1ap melee

Flame +1ap shooting

Excess +1 to hit melee

Despair 6s to hit autowound

Those...actually seem decent.

Does the Icon of Despair work in both shooting and melee?

What i wrote is what I know, my guess is yes to both. Mathematically its good on low strenght high volume shots (bolters/chainswords) but also good on anti tank.

At a guess, I'd expect it to emulate the Death Guard's Sigil of Decay, which does the following:

Each time an attack is made with a bolt weapon by a model in the bearer’s unit, an unmodified hit roll of 6 automatically wounds the target.

It's not an effective upgrade. Hopefully the CSM one is not a carbon copy of the above.

Bit of a weird situation where the Icon of Despair does a different thing in the DG codex to what it does in the CSM codex (+the CSM IoD acts similarly to the sigil), and the Icon of Flame does a different thing in the TS codex to what it does in the CSM codex, but I'd been expecting this given the interaction the latter has with cabal points in the TS book.

Lots to like here if true! 3W Chosen would be interesting; I'm surprised they aren't (don't appear to be, anyway) on 40mm bases if they have a 3W profile though. 3W isn't enough to make the current iteration good on its own as they'll still get mowed down like chaff without an invul but who knows what 9th ed Chosen will have in their favour. Would love it if they all received an Aura of Dark Glory for a 5++ to reflect their status as champions-in-waiting. Either way I'd be happy to see Chosen get a niche all these years after their "coolest unit entry in the game" status was taken away from them.