Captain and Lieutenant helmet colors?

JeffJedi

I go with gold because it looks cool. Technically the description above implies Terminators should have gold helmets too but I almost never see this done. But it does give you wiggle room if you want. Here are my 2 Captains.

gallery_82363_13858_64520.jpg

gallery_82363_13858_174505.jpg

Gold, to go with the rest of their armour!

gallery_58096_11797_719058.jpg

But seriously, the codex is more a set of guidelines than hard and fast rules. The codex even advocates mixing up rank insignia once in a while to keep the enemies of the emperor guessing - go with whatever you think is coolest, and works best for the composition of the model you're working on.

I 'm also in favor of old-school red.

You have to consider that veterans need gold to differentiate from normal troops, just like many codex chapters use white. The 1st company veterans (in power armour) also have the 1st co badge to signify their status. Personally I keep the codex white on pieces of cloth they might have on them.

Officers on the other hand, captains and lieutenants, don't really need a gold helmet, as they carry their barge of office on their right shoulder. Instead of the colored drop of their company, they have the banner design of their company. That alone is enough. As with sergeants, I paint the left shoulder black. Black is the color of command. In addition I paint black instead of white any pieces of cloth they may have.

I can only justify gold helmet on an officer if it's a death mask.

In the distant past veteran assault squads had yellow helmets and the skull of the 1st company on their right shoulder. Honour/command squads did not exist and only Dante's personal bodyguard have gold helmets. Later they added gold helmets on command squads to stand out. Then GW just messed the lore and gave gold helmets to everyone...

The fact remains, that last few codexes define gold helmets for "Command", with additional note that it's a "strategic role".

We may very well, now discuss the definition of "Command" :wink:

1. In Chapter's ordering we have Chapter Command, which consists only of one member, that being Dante. He has Golden helmet, and as such fulfils the requirement of Command having golden helmets. And we are imo free to stop there and say that the only "Command" a Blood Angels truly recognises in all situations is his Chapter Liege.
Obviously we have the case of Captain Tycho and his golden armour, but we can blame his ego (documented).

2. On the other side of the spectrum, we can assume that any form of command that exists on a battlefield is privileged to have a golden helmet. Which opens possibilities to give golden helmets to Sergeants (holding command over their squads), Captains, Lieutenants, Librarians, Sanguinary Priests and even Chaplains or Techmarines if we decide that they have command over our forces. 

Edit: obviously Strategic- or Battlefield Role has no dependency with the Rooster organisation.

Edited by Majkhel

I must admit, I always read that 'Command' as Command squads rather than the actual Captain commanding the company.

My Personal view is 'Terminators red, ornate sculpted armour gold, anyone else go with what looks right on the model.;