Unit of the Week: Centurion Devastator Squad

Jolemai

Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Centurion Devastator Squad

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use your Devastator Centurions?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples? MSU or full squads? Combat Squads?
  • How are you buffing this unit? Will it babysit anything?
  • What Wargear Options do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Stratagem synergy or note?

Over to you

Please note that the Centurion Assault Squad will be discussed elsewhere

Afraid not, My assumption is that because we only got access to them recently (I want to say after Primaris already came out?) not many players have bought them as new purchases have been mostly Primaris (I certainly don't have any Centurion models of either type for that reason).

If I was going to use them they'd need to be plugging a specific hole in my list, either Las and missile if I was short on anti tank or with one of the other options and hurricane bolters with a CP saved to let them overwatch if I needed a horde deterrent.

Not having any Centurions I have to theorise.
- Grav canons seem a no-brainer choice compared to HB - more shots, better AP with a slightly shorter range (which is almost mitigated by the fact they can move and still fire Heavy Weapons)
- Lascanons... I'm reluctant to take them at all currently (too little shots, that require buffs to work reliably, and Centurions are not CORE). 
- Hurricane bolters over missile launchers any day (unless you're certain to face multiple Vehicles/Monsters, but not dreads)
- walk until in range (preferably into cover to increase tankyness) and unleash fire repeatedly 

A distraction carnifex unit for me.
Definitely a good idea to keep SP/Apothecary around as they will have a huge "target" written all-over them.

• 2 weeks later...

I love the Blood Angels Commander YouTube channel, and his advice is that for BA, about 1/4 to 1/3 of our points should be spent on shooting units, the rest on melee or TAC/melee-leaning units. 

So with that in mind, I think for BA there are better shooting options than centurion devastators (dreadnoughts, eradicators or las-talon eliminators) for example). That said, as they are a heavy rather than elite slot, and are T5 with 4 wounds (a nice number in the era of D2 and D3 damage weapons) I could see some merit in sitting them with las cannons alongside a librarian dreadnought and/or a foot-slogging apothecary to give them a 5++ and 6+++ and have them sit at the back shooting away to free up some elite slots. They would have range, would be durable, annoying to remove etc.... still not sure they would be better than eradicators at the shooting side of things BUT if your opponent charged them, well, that S5 and base 3 attacks is great for Blood Angels :D

Good point on their S5 attacks!
However for precisely that point I would still prefer to have them closer to the front lines. Even more so if you want to have an Apothecary. Cause that Apothecary is Elite, so why not take a SP instead? And if I take a SP I would want him closer to my melee units either way. 

I've been recently contemplating the moving castle formation, with a SP on foot surrounded by Bladeguard and/or Terminators and Eradicators. Centurions could also fit there. Formation would move forward shooting and deploying units to specific tasks or objectives along the way. All the while benefitting from Priest's FnP and occasional healing&raising until I can charge something. After all, EVERY BA unit can be scary while in Assault Doctrine. 

I've done that with my RG successors. I use either terminators (with CML) or relic terminators with lightning claws with either eradicators or company veterans with storm shields and combi weapons. I combine them with an apothecary and Lt with storm shield. As a "pack" it does great work. I have used aggressors as well (instead of terminators) but find the lack of a ++ hurts them (as is the case for the eradicators), especially against sisters with melta (common in my meta). I tried running a librarian for the 5++, that works, but not reliably enough against other strong psychic armies. I have found BGV ok-ish, but I find terminators offer more shooting and equal or better melee overall.

What has worked really, really well for me recently is this: 5 company veterans with storm shields and combi-plasma, 5 regular terminators with CML, apothecary with armour for 5++ and Lt with Storm Shield. I've run that in two games a couple of months ago (damn lockdowns!) to great effect. In the first they just sat in the middle scoring oath points hurling bolter shots, krak missiles and plasma shots and daring my opponent (Death Guard) to charge me. In the second (against sisters) I moved them up a flank shooting, killing a wrecking most things.

Now I was running RG successors with bolter fusillades and whirlwind of rage, so re-rolling 1s on bolters and then 1s to wound, 6s to hit in melee generate additional hits was very optimal for that "pack". Also very, very tough as everything had either 4++ or 5++ and a 6+++ :smile.:I've also had success with Aggressors + an apothecary + Lt. Heaps of bolter shots, great melee threat, but not that to remove (sadly). Still, sooo much daka it's not funny!

I think for BA, a SP with terminators (regular or relic), company veterans with combi-meltas/plasma and storm shields or eradicators would give nice anti-horde and AT shooting whilst also presenting a genuine melee threat. BGV could work as well, as could Aggressors (but without a ++ they wilt like lettuce in the Australian summer).

I think for a genuine TAC-pack, relic terminators with lightning claws (+1 to wound and re-rolling all fails does wonders, especially in BA!) and company veterans with storm shields and choice of combi weapon would be very efficient and durable. Alternatively, BGV and Eradicators (but eradicators will get shot and die more easily). I suppose it is the balance between how much damage they can do before they die (win to eradicators) vs how long they can live doing damage (win to company veterans with storm shields). 

That said, if you just wanted the hardest "pack" to remove, then maybe BGV + company veterans with storm shields and combi weapons for 2+, 4++ and 6+++ all-round to make your opponents cry when they can't shoot them off the board and quiver in fear at the prospect of charging either the veterans and getting smashed by the BGV, or charging the BGV, failing to kill them, having them fall back, get shot at by the veterans and then sliced by the BGV :D 

Good point on their S5 attacks!
However for precisely that point I would still prefer to have them closer to the front lines. Even more so if you want to have an Apothecary. Cause that Apothecary is Elite, so why not take a SP instead? And if I take a SP I would want him closer to my melee units either way. 

I've been recently contemplating the moving castle formation, with a SP on foot surrounded by Bladeguard and/or Terminators and Eradicators. Centurions could also fit there. Formation would move forward shooting and deploying units to specific tasks or objectives along the way. All the while benefitting from Priest's FnP and occasional healing&raising until I can charge something. After all, EVERY BA unit can be scary while in Assault Doctrine. 

Edited by XeonDragon

• 2 weeks later...

Let’s see. My thoughts? Well I wouldn’t field either these guys or the Assault variant in a BA army as I feel that neither suit the fluff for the Sons of Sanguinius much at all, but probably will run some in the Salmanders 5th coy.. army I’m consider pulling the pin on. As for my thoughts on possible load-outs , I’d think which opponent you’re  up against makes all the difference. Against MEQ, I feel the Grav-Cannon is better because of the extra AP, coupled with the fact that when the model has a 3+ save the damage of weapon increase to D2. Against low armour save (basically anything with a 4+ save or worse), multi-wound models like Ogryns, Bullygryns and such, I definitely feel you get better mileage out of the heavy bolteras you gain an extra two shots and the Grav-Cannon’s extra damage doesn’t kick in. I’m torn between the two when it comes shoot GEQ, as the Heavy Bolter has more shots, but the extra damage is lost, where as the Grav-Cannon has less shots, but will completely negate their armor. As for Hurricane Bolters vs. Missile Launchers, I’m still undecided. I wouldn’t bother with Las-Cannons as there is better, more fluffy,  anti-tank available to us and would much rather take Eradicators, but I won’t say any more on the matter as the purpose of this discussion is talk about the DevastatornCenturions, and not other units. However, I wouldn’t equip them with Las-Cannons anyway even if I did think they were a good choice as aesthetically I find the weapon to not look very goodnon this particular unit. As with any unit your mileage will increase by magnetising the models, and such an expensive kit it is a prime candidate for such treatment.

Edited by Captain Smashy Pants