GK Dreadnoughts

L30n1d4s

With all the hype around the newly buffed NDKs (and rightfully so, I will say; they are awesome!), I think Grey Knight Dreadnoughts may have been forgotten a bit.

So, compared to a normal SM Dread, they cost +10 points, have +1A, have Psychic powers, and can access GK special rules (like Aegis, for a 5+++ vs MWs) and GK unique powers/Litanies.

In terms of durability, they get the normal -1 Dmg common to all Dreads, they can get free cover (Tide of Shadows), +1 Armor Save (Armoured Resilience power), and/or a 4++ (Sanctuary)... oh, and of course the already mentioned Aegis 5+++ vs MWs. All together, you can have a Dread with 1+/4++ saves against shooting, built in -1 Dmg and 5+++ vs MWs, all on an 8W T7 chassis.

Offensively, since they are Core, they can get all the rerolls auras and most of the Psychic power and Litany buffs. If they are Swordbearers, they can be buffed up with +1 to Hit and +1 to Wound for shooting against a single target (plus a second Dread can get a 4++ via their unique WL Trait). They do lack access to Doctrines, so that means less AP on their weapons than their SM counterparts.

Finally, between Dmg 3 Plasma Cannons and Lascannons, Dreads provide some of the only affordable long-range shooting available to Grey Knights outside of massed Razorbacks.

Overall, I think they may be an excellent "firebase" option for GKs that, with the right rules/Brotherhood, can rival the efficiency of Redemptors for normal Astartes.

What do you all think?

Edited by L30n1d4s

Yeah I love the dreads again in this edition. They're pretty tough, as you mentioned. Now that vehicles can shoot while locked in combat, and our Dreads can also smite in close combat, even a ranged loadout can still do decent damage when it is engaged in melee. With their reasonable toughness and non-degrading profile there's a decent chance of them surviving all but the biggest hardest hitters for at least a round.

I think either a multi-melta + CCW loadout to get in close or a twin-las + missile launcher loadout for some long distance punch are my favorites right now.

Offensively, since they are Core, they can get all the rerolls auras and most of the Psychic power and Litany buffs. If they are Swordbearers, they can be buffed up with +1 to Hit and +1 to Wound for shooting against a single target (plus a second Dread can get a 4++ via their unique WL Trait).

Do keep in mind that the Venerable Dreadnought is an Honoured Knight, so it can't benefit from any Brotherhood related buffs, like a Grandmaster's re-roll aura.

• 2 weeks later...

I still see the Ven Dread running with the Lascannon/ Missile Launcher in my army even though I have other options for it. My reg Dread Multi melta and ccw,.

Now I guess id only ever use one completely stock, running up the board.

Having tried the basic boxnaught, I can actually recommend it. They're a nice toolbox unit that only really lacks speed for its points.

I agree. I’ll have a basic dread with swappable arms in the backbone of my collection for sure. Lascannon/missiles is always a winner but even more so now for us I think!

BCC

I do think that GKs struggle from a lack of basic, high damage, weaponry. Other dreads (with -1 dmg), and certain other units with relics or odd rules, aren't too concerned with dmg 2 or even 3 weapons and even we can't reliably kill everything with mortal wounds, especially once the meta adapts to it. Just having the odd lascannon or multimelta will help against a host of targets that might be overly challenging to bring down otherwise. It even makes me reconsider taking an inquisitor with combi-melta.

I do think that GKs struggle from a lack of basic, high damage, weaponry. Other dreads (with -1 dmg), and certain other units with relics or odd rules, aren't too concerned with dmg 2 or even 3 weapons and even we can't reliably kill everything with mortal wounds, especially once the meta adapts to it. Just having the odd lascannon or multimelta will help against a host of targets that might be overly challenging to bring down otherwise. It even makes me reconsider taking an inquisitor with combi-melta.

Yes. We definitely don’t miss out in close combat as we dish out multi wound spam for sure. This is why I think we’ll start seeing a lot lists with Razorbacks popping up for sure. Personally I think armour is always a winner anyway but definitely for us in this edition.

BCC

Hmmm ..... A Venerable Dreadnought is one of the remaining models on my list to get. Thoughts on heavy plasma cannon vs lascannon?

So this is actually an interesting debate i find myself in alot. I obviously would vote melta because i love yeeting my dreadnaughts, but i think as backfield support plasma or lascannons is a coinflip. You can either get really unlucky on the d6 for damage with the cannons, or d3 for the number of shots on the plasma/ end up killing yourself with mortals. But now with the aegis i feel myself leaning towards the plasma. 36" range and flat 3 is very good in the current meta imo.