New Ultramarines Praetors! 40K usage

Captain Idaho

As we are all no doubt aware, there are new Praetors (finally!) being released for Ultramarines in the Horus Heresy, but as we can see from the models they would look great in a 40K army too!

You can find them here

So tell me what you think of these models and what you're planning on doing with them!

Myself... I intend to buy 2 of each. An original version of each then a weapon swap for the Terminator Praetor (I think magnets on tiny resin hands are too much for me), which will perhaps be a Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield.

The power armoured version I'm think would make a good conversion to a Chapter Champion. I have one currently and he's great but this dude as a base... blimey he'll stellar.

And a marvellous version he'll make too.

We don't yet know what he's armed with yet, do we?

Stock version of this model is formidable though. Relic Blade and Combi-melta is a killer combination. We can give him the Tarentian Cloak for D3 wounds returned a turn, or Mastercrafted Relic Blade, or Censured Helm alongside Imperium's Sword for very efficient killing power. In fact the later will wound Marine Vehicles on a 2+ and get rerolls to hit and wound against everything, which is nice with a Melta gun.

Yeah we can assume that axe is either a Legatine Axe or a Axe of Ultramar... Relic blade for 40k makes sense too.

There is a the temptation to make Invictus too, Plasma Blaster and Hurons power claw would make a sweet Invictus.

The PA version as Mad Mark suggests is a great Cato replacement or give him a Plasma Pistol for a Captain Fabian of the 3rd.

Blimey I never considered Invictus or Sicarius replacements. More good ideas.

I actually can't wait to see what folk do with the models going forward. Reckon the Terminator in particular will be spectacular.

The real question is should he hold a Storm Shield in his left, or his right hand...

I'm thinking of making a champion out of the power armored one for some Novamarines. I've only done a few primaris models so far, but I'm really digging the idea of making some more Scouring-era themed Novamarines, especially if they go into that era.

Definetly getting the terminator straight away and not planning to change his loadout. The PA one I'm less sure about. I have no 40k conversion ideas as I've already converted a chapter champion out of the command squad captain model, and I've got a few firstborn captain already. I may leave him for now.

I might attach a boarding shield to replace the combi melta on the Terminator and count it as a storm shield for 40K, though I might keep the combi melta since it’s at 4++ anyways.

I already have my power armour praetor though he might get replaced now that this guy is out and the praetor becomes a champion or maybe a LT.

Just excited UM wasn’t forgotten, hopefully we will see our Termies, Jump Marines and Leviathan!

• 2 weeks later...

Preordered my Ultramarines Praetors today. Yummies.

I really want these guys.

I've been playing the Heresy Card game on my phone once in a while, and it wets the appetite for that 'wholesome' era of carnage. 

I would really love to use these guys. The company champion is a good call. I want to use that Termie guy though as efficiently as possible for the modern game. 

Any ideas?

(Also as a side note: thinking of buying some of those breacher shields for my Vanguard Vets with claws)

How good are you at magnetising?

A Terminator Captain can take advantage of the aura provided by a Chaplain, as we all know, to get very good odds on a teleport charge.

Turn 1 is about making space for them with your army so they can't be easily screened out.

Turn 2 your units come down and begin the attack.

Weapons:

A Relic Blade and Combi-melta are still powerful options for a jack of all trades kind of Captain in 40K, but you won't have that edge of danger a Thunder Hammer might exude.

On that note, whilst blasting something with a Melta gun is fun and handy at times, but he is generally going to be much more difficult to remove with a Storm Shield.

Which brings us nicely to Relics. I consider the following builds decent with an Ultramarines Captain:

i) Meltagun, Relic Blade and Sanctic Halo - this gives utility, moderate killing capacity and survivability. It also helps us with an extra deny against certain new peddlers of cheese Codex books recently released. Command Rerolls on a 3+ save are fun with this combination. Iron Resolve seems to stack well with a 3+ Invulnerable save.

ii) Thunder hammer and Storm Shield - come on now, this guy is the no brainer! For Relic I'd go with the Censured Helm as the rerolls will be crucial whilst against power armoured foes you'll be getting +1 to hit and wound as well! All other opposition will still find his rerolls to hit and wound makes him a dangerous proposition. Imperium's Sword jumps out at me thanks to the reroll to charges and another attack is always welcome.

iii) Meltagun and Relic Blade/Thunder Hammer - Another Censured Helm combination here, as you can net wounding on a 2+ with a S7 Relic Blade and increased damage output with melee in general. Another nice aspect to this is the Censured Helm works in shooting, so you can get high chances of hitting and wounding with that Meltagun and potentially even getting wounds on a 2+ against Marine vehicles of <T8, 3+ otherwise.

iv) Any melee weapon and Storm Shield, along with the Tarentian Cloak. A 1+ armour save and 4+ Invulnerable along with 6 wounds should see him through most damage and you can stack with Iron Resolve (+1 wound) for a very high chance of surviving the turn to use the healing effect from the Relic. Couple this with an Apothecary and you could be getting 6 wounds back a turn!

v) Any melee weapon, Storm Shield, the Angel Artiface and Iron Resolve - 1+ save, toughness 5, 8 wounds and still a killy character. Very difficult to take down in most circumstances and if you get an Apothecary nearby there's even less of a chance of him dying.

Other possibilities include a Mastercrafted Relic Blade, but really you'll miss an alternative Relic plus a Thunder Hammer against tough and large targets. Likewise, the Shield Eternal doesn't quite strike me as something particularly high over other Relics since you can get a reduced version of that effect with Iron Resolve, but it's not terrible either.

Lastly, I'd usually go for a Chapter Champion over a Company Champion upgraded to Chapter Champion. The difference is subtle but the Chapter Champion gets to reroll all failed hits and wounds against a Character whereas a Compang Champion just gets the wounds rerolls.

That is often crucial especially if a model has a -1 to hit or you just want to maximise your damage (with the Blade of Triumph I presume).

Edited by Captain Idaho

Ordered both today and added some UM heads to add to the growing stockpile of UM bitz to use alongside the rumoured big box of heresy.

I’m going to paint the terminator first as he can be used in 40K without changing his load out. The PA one will wait a wee bit.