Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cyber-/ Fenrisian Wolves for objectives?

tactics Space Wolves Army building strategy

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

ranulf the revenant

ranulf the revenant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 903 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves
Hello wolfy brothers,

I've been playing some more games and I'm kind of struggling to find a balance between capturing/holding objectives and dealing damage. Have you used cyberwolves or Fenrisian Wolves for this task? Do they work well?
I don't have those models yet, especially since the official ones look so derpy (was thinking about getting some wolves from Mierce Miniatures though...)
Your friendly neighbourhood murder husky happy.png.

My humble Space Wolves plog

sml_gallery_48988_16308_6255.png

Karhedron

Karhedron

++ RENASCITUR EX MORS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 5,292 posts
Cyberwolves are pretty handy. They are very cheap and can hold Objectives, move quickly and also score Secondaries like "Engage on All Fronts". They are fragile of course so avoid serious combat with them if at all possible. They are not worth saving slots for if you want dedicated Fast Attack units. But if you have any FA slots left and a few spare points they are a great use.

Fenrisian Wolves are not so good. They cost more than twice as many points and are much harder to hide as they have a larger footprint.
  • TiguriusX and ranulf the revenant like this
Sanguinius stood up, stretching his wings to their full extent. He flexed his hands. "I need no blade".
It was as though Sanguinius gleamed with pale light, his face white, eyes becoming blood-red, surrounded by the golden crown of flowing hair. Guilliman had witnessed glimpses of of his brother's wrath before, but had never seen the true Blood Angel unleashed. Sanguinius surged forward on alabaster wings, half a meter from the floor, whiteness streaming from him like flames.

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,991 posts
cyberwolves are must have

-holding safe objectives out of LOS so other units can fight
-advancing and charging to eat overwatch
-zoning out enemy deep strikers
-standing in front to eat smites
-sacrificing to earn engage points
-bait on an objective to initiate trades

Edited by TiguriusX, 24 August 2021 - 07:38 PM.

• Brainpsyk, Karhedron and ranulf the revenant like this

I recognize my failing and will be sure to correct it

I am a digital space wolf returning to the pack and emerging from the warp on the TT to try the hobby side.  I started with Vassal40K and currently enjoy TTS40K

Inglorious Drunkard Champion-Night 3 (2012)

ETL first time participant-2018

ETL-2019

gallery_48988_15465_42927.png

Tokugawa

Tokugawa

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,050 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars
There is tons of wolf models for replacement. If GW kits only, i would pick aos dire wolves.

ranulf the revenant

ranulf the revenant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 903 posts
Dire wolves are interesting but would need some sculpting work. What would be your tip outside GW?

ranulf the revenant

ranulf the revenant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 903 posts
Bought the Goblin Wolfriders from Beastgrave, will take a bit of conversion work to make them look "Cyber", but they're beautiful models...

Dark Shepherd

Dark Shepherd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,036 posts
Most people or stores or TOs would let you run Fenrisian Wolves as Cyberwolves once you didnt have any conflicting models, and thats before converting them in any way
Small sized units of Cyberwolves can be really useful not just singles
  • ranulf the revenant likes this

TiguriusX

TiguriusX

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,991 posts

I use GW goblin wolf riders (wolf only)

Found them on ebay long ago real cheap.  Had to make the tail from greenstuff though.

There is an armor plate on the head...cyber/armored wolf

Most people don't care...just have something close and the correct base size (40mm round)

med_gallery_49686_13890_333913.jpg

Edited by TiguriusX, 26 August 2021 - 04:11 PM.

• ranulf the revenant likes this

I recognize my failing and will be sure to correct it

I am a digital space wolf returning to the pack and emerging from the warp on the TT to try the hobby side.  I started with Vassal40K and currently enjoy TTS40K

Inglorious Drunkard Champion-Night 3 (2012)

ETL first time participant-2018

ETL-2019

gallery_48988_15465_42927.png

ranulf the revenant

ranulf the revenant

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 903 posts
Thanks, now that I have the Beastgrave models, I'm actually looking forward to converting them, as I like to get creative with stuff like this. My bitzbox is well ordered and I might use some guitar strings as well 🙂. Maybe three cyberwolves might be enough for now anyway. I just saw that there are affordable goblin wolf rider models from a company called Northstar miniatures -> https://www.northsta...&sub=877&page=1

Maybe they're worth a look as well at some point, but for now I'm sorted...

Most people don't care...just have something close and the correct base size (40mm round)

Thanks for pointing out they should be on 40 mm round bases Tigurius, I thought I could use the oval ones they came with... 😅

Edited by ranulf the revenant, 26 August 2021 - 05:37 PM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: tactics, Space Wolves, Army building, strategy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users