Angels of Death Review Thread

At great personal risk I'm going to venture an alternative opinion... :)

Now, Blood Angels were my first 40k army, I am a Blood Angels fan, and I've never been in the military, buuuut...

What I'm seeing is transhuman arrogance and, to put it bluntly, imperially-mandated ignorance. The space marines don't believe they're in any danger because they're facing mortals - in fact, one of the things that makes one of the marines suspicious is that the humans aren't terrified of them. So they behave accordingly.

The ignorance comes in after the real threat is revealed. Kazarion is the only one who really knows what they're dealing with, and the rest of the squad respond to his knowledge with suspicion - like good Space Marines should, you're supposed to hate the alien, not understand them - whereas Kazarion has had to learn a different way in the Deathwatch. It's only reinforced by the way the rest of the squad make assumptions about what they see, but he looks deeper and corrects them, which leads to more suspicion, which finally causes him to lose his cool at the worst possible time.

That's just how I interpret what I'm seeing, but I'm loving it.

Totally fair interpretation!

I think that would make the sense if we take the animation as the romanticized storytelling that it is, instead of a gritty, realistic depiction - so more "the expendables" and less "saving private ryan"

If it was meant to be realistic then it would fall on its face, simply because standing around in the open "arrogantly" would quickly result in arrogant piles of scorched armor with dead meat inside

• 1 month later...

I enjoyed this episode a lot and want to see where the series ultimately ends up, although the magus was the first time I’ve gone “really? That’s the best you could do?” for the animation

Give us the dreadnought already!

I enjoyed this episode a lot and want to see where the series ultimately ends up, although the magus was the first time I’ve gone “really? That’s the best you could do?” for the animation

Give us the dreadnought already!

I have to agree, the magus was surprisingly poor, particularly compared to the other human/humanoid characters. I actually found it a bit jarring.

I really like the magOS, though. She's wonderfully creepy.

Ok, this was the first episode I felt "meh" about.

This might be due to some sloppy editing right at the start, just before the title card.

But there was also one sequence I thought wasn't very well done.

Can't do spoiler tags on my phone but maybe others will know what I mean.

There were some good bits - the tiny bridge sequence on Sword of Baal. Would have preferred more of that.

So yeah, I'm loving the series as a whole, and there were some good bits, but IMHO it was the weakest so far.

I hadn't watched any since they took the "mid season break", so it was nice to catch up on 3 episodes at once. 

I quite enjoyed all 3 of the latest episodes, although there have been some extremely jarring facial animations (especially the GSC priestess) and the usual "we'll stop mid-combat to have a chat" strangeness that seems to plague sections of most episodes.

The shot where the camera went from the bottom of the space elevator all the way up into orbit was great.

The tech marine is awesome and the dreadnought awakening sequence was pretty interesting. I think my biggest worry when it was evident where the tech marine was going, considering how meh the sound design has been the whole way through, was that they would mess up the dreadnought voice. They did not and it was a glorious way to end the episode.

Edited by Ldorte

For a climax episode, "Slaughter" felt rather weak to me, especially in the voice acting.

The punchlines were there, but the delivery was often unconvincing... 

On the positive side, the Black Rage scenes were pretty cool.

For a climax episode, "Slaughter" felt rather weak to me, especially in the voice acting.

The punchlines were there, but the delivery was often unconvincing... 

On the positive side, the Black Rage scenes were pretty cool.

Its not the climax episode though. As per Warcom this is the penultimate one.

Climax does not necessarily mean ending, though.

WARNING: HEAVY SPOILERS

I am aware that there is one episode left, but with most of the cast -Astartes and Genestealers alike- dead in this episode, "Slaughter"  definitely looks like our intended final battle.

We only have Livia, Ignis and Hadrael left alive, I think.

The Patriarch, as well as the cult leaders, are gone, as is every other marine.

Ep. 10's ending is probably going to have the resolution of the story/fallout, but we can safely assume this was the big final clash of the series.

On the other hand, we still have to hear from our favourite (?) Magos...

Edited by The_Bloody

I’ve finally been able to watch the episodes. They’re…well…the animation looks cool, but I feel it’s mainly bolter pr0n, also known as carnography. It’s mainly a display of gory violence with a very thin storyline added to it. Nothing wrong with that if that’s what you’re into. But at a certain point I got a bit bored. I’m having a really hard time caring about any of the characters here.

The sound design choices feel very weird to me, the use and absence of the music score really feels off to me.

"Slaughter" was not a great episode for me unfortunately. The last couple of episodes they seemed to have got things together a bit with the sounds and camera work, but this felt like it was back to square one. 

Ignis' rampage was pretty meh (although I did like his little speech before).

They also didn't seem to have any idea what to do for the broodlord fight, and as such it came off very clumsy.

Bit of a disappointment after the last few episodes.