"Warhammer TV is unavailable in your location"?!

Kastor Krieg

What the hell is the point of selling the subscription to WH+ to people and at the same time denying them the animations, the Louise Sudgen Masterclass tutorials and the battle reports, etc - the main bloody draws of the purchase - and still charging the premium price, for just the app and some White Dwarf reprints plus the occasional bonus?

GW, why do you discriminate me for living in one of EU countries (Poland)?!

How many other countries are so affected? Buyers beware, don't get conned into WH+ subscription, read the fine print. You might find yourselves cheated into a subpar purchase if you miss the notification.

QfqCUHq.png

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

I understand that it can be frustrating, but how is it being 'cheated' if it's upfront shown to you in a really large notification before you register?

As to why, it could be a law in your country preventing them from providing the service, or some other interference there. I have no clue, as I'd have to do research into the circumstances of Poland on the matter.

Somebody on DakkaDakka posted this (no idea as to the origin..) :

GeeDubs- wrote:Will Warhammer TV be available where I live? 
Warhammer TV has been officially launched in the following territories: UK, USA, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, Belgium, The Netherlands, Denmark, Sweden, Germany, and Italy. 

However, we’re adding new countries to this list all the time, so check for updates regularly, or sign up for our Warhammer+ newsletter to get all the latest information delivered directly to your inbox.

This seems to be the relevant clause in the terms and conditions:

2. Warhammer TV

2.1. Please note that the Warhammer TV element of the Services is only currently available in the following territories: Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Sweden, UK, US. You must not attempt to access or use the Warhammer TV element of the Service outside of these territories.

It does seem incredibly silly that they’re even allowing subscriptions in places that, for whatever reason, they’re unable to deliver the majority of the service’s content. This is bound to be the reaction, T’s & C’s be damned.

How a company if their size manages to be so consistently incompetent in the digital space is astounding.

There would also be people that similarly complained if they were unable to access the rest of it when the video content is only available in those countries.

A strong notification as shown prior to allowing a subscription, possibly bundled with another acceptance/acknowledgment page is the right way to handle it, so I don't see an issue there.

I agree with Lexington - it seems incompetent for them to even offer full subscriptions in places where you can’t get full content.  GW does stuff like that a lot with their pricing though, so just don’t pay them if you can’t get what you want - I will say “At least they warned you” rather than requiring reading the T&Cs.  I personally wouldn’t click the Subscribe button, but I wasn’t likely to do that, even being in one of the full offering areas.

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

Thats a big yellow box telling you you cant access everything before you click submit. You dont even have to read the fineprint.

What more do you expect them to do? Stop people in Australia, Belgium, Canada, Denmark, Germany, Ireland, Italy, Netherlands, New Zealand, Sweden, UK, US accessing the video content?

QfqCUHq.png

What more do you expect them to do?

Not charge full price for partial benefits - that’s what a reasonable person would expect them to do.

A reasonable person would read the massive yellow box, quickly do a google search or read the T&Cs before just pressing YES *particularly when the box is telling them that the service may not be fully available in their region* - that's what a reasonable person would do.

Not charge full price for partial benefits - that’s what a reasonable person would expect them to do.

Having partial offers is not typically what the company wants to do in this scenario. Really, until the video content is set up for those locations, they're just going to discourage you from purchasing it rather than dealing with multiple tiers and other stuff like that. It kind of sucks if you're not in one of those countries, but working in the software field where we've done a lot of research on that, I completely understand what and why they're doing what they're doing.

A reasonable person would read the massive yellow box, quickly do a google search or read the T&Cs before just pressing YES *particularly when the box is telling them that the service may not be fully available in their region* - that's what a reasonable person would do.

Yes, I get that “not subscribing” as I’ve already said is what a reason person would do - the warning is reasonable, and you should choose not to pay full price for getting less.

The question wasn’t “What would you do as a reasonable person in this situation?” - the question was “What more do you expect them to do?”

So given that more was then in play and was referencing them (GW in this case), not you (as the user/purchaser), the reasonable more option would then be “Don’t charge me full price for partial content” - that’s what any reasonable person would want, to be charged for what they get in comparison to others…

Does that mean the business model works?  Doesn’t matter, that wasn’t the question (note that the qualification of “that works for the business” was not a caveat stated in the question) that was written.

Eh, "reasonable" has very little to do with this.

GW seems to be able to get by with a very lackadaisical attitude when it comes to their main product lines, but this isn't that. This is a new service that's doubtlessly cost them quite a lot to create, and that their intended audience seems at least a bit skeptical of. They don't want a repeat of the 40K App's utter disaster of a launch. Having stuff like this hang over the day (along with the other technical issues I'm hearing about) is just not good.

If they can't make it work in a region, it shouldn't be available. If they can gate content by region, they can just keep the gates closed until they can offer the service properly. Dangling the ability to subscribe without a useful service is just a good way to make potential customers mad.

Edited by Lexington

What's to prevent people from using a VPN to subscribe a full year for cheap as though they were in Poland and then disable said VPN to access the full content?

What's to prevent people from using a VPN to subscribe a full year for cheap as though they were in Poland and then disable said VPN to access the full content?

What's to prevent myself from using a VPN to subscribe as if I was in UK? This is not the point.

They took away excellent Darren Latham's tutorials from YT when they hired him

He hasn't posted anything new since, but no, they haven't taken his videos down...

He hasn't posted because he's not allowed to. And he already said he will be forced to take the old ones down with time, I haven't followed if that happened already.

Again, not the point - the point is I miss out on both Masterclass vid sources.

Back-end data management?

What’s preventing the access to the content now in the excluded countries…?

(ArielRSA’s information makes this pretty funny overall though - I’m thinking it’s got something to do with the legality regarding how the material is provided or some such that they put the “Don’t attempt to access or use” clause to get around right now - legally would put the onus on you as the user if you are breaking the law)

I live in South Africa and got the not available in your country box message too. I Signed up anyway to see what happens and at the moment it all seems to be working fine (I’ve tried angels of death and the masterclass).

I can’t vouch for any other countries though

Hold on, so what's missing then? If "Warhammer TV" is not animations and Masterclass? Or do you think it's a bug and you somehow got access to the content that's supposed to be locked out?

The fact that they're not clearly specifying what they're locking out for the countries with the diminished content is annoying as well. Not even sure if it's legal in EU.

Edited by Reclusiarch Krieg

I haven’t checked everything but maybe it’s the model? I did a monthly subscription though because I wasn’t going to chance it not working on a year.

Could be a bug too but will only know later

The lessening of the value of the subscription is based on how long it takes them to warhammer tv up and running in the other countries, if its a week, then you don't really have much to complain about as the content is fully available retroactively. if it takes 6 months or longer, or if some law prevents from even happening then yes, GW really needs to offer a lower price version

I mean, what, you expect GW to now lobby in Poland so that legislation changes and they can offer the full WHTV+ service? This most likely isn't a thing GW *can* work out for the full service.

I mean companies do actually do that world-wide… heck, governments do that with other governments, oftentimes on behalf of some company or industry within their country.  It’s not unreasonable to expect a company or industry to lobby for legislative change in a country so they can offer an expanded market.