"Warhammer TV is unavailable in your location"?!

Kastor Krieg

The lessening of the value of the subscription is based on how long it takes them to warhammer tv up and running in the other countries, if its a week, then you don't really have much to complain about as the content is fully available retroactively. if it takes 6 months or longer, or if some law prevents from even happening then yes, GW really needs to offer a lower price version

Yep. And I have zero faith that this is a few weeks or even a month or two only. 

I haven’t checked everything but maybe it’s the model? I did a monthly subscription though because I wasn’t going to chance it not working on a year.

Could be a bug too but will only know later

I've risked my 25 PLN and I cannot even sign into Warhammer TV, there's a loop. Despite my being "not signed in", both shows (Angels of Death and Hammer and Bolter), as well as Masterclass, show up as options to watch, but once I click, they're not interactive and request a sign in which results in a loop that throws me to a blank page and I need to click back on Home.

It's a mess.

I mean, what, you expect GW to now lobby in Poland so that legislation changes and they can offer the full WHTV+ service? This most likely isn't a thing GW *can* work out for the full service.

I mean companies do actually do that world-wide… heck, governments do that with other governments, oftentimes on behalf of some company or industry within their country.  It’s not unreasonable to expect a company or industry to lobby for legislative change in a country.

Not to mention, Poland is part of the EU and most of the legislation is shared. Are we sure there's a law blocking them from distributing in France or Poland or Italy? Edited by Reclusiarch Krieg

Companies don’t need to have coffers that deep to lobby in that way - plenty of smaller industries figure out how to do it for international trade purposes.  Farming does it, and they get innovative about how they manage to get new markets opened throughout the world, most people wouldn’t describe anything outside big agribusiness as having deep coffers, and a lot of times it isn’t the big agribusinesses that are reliant on opening new markets, as they do plenty of sales at home.

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

My point is also “GW may not be able to lobby directly in all countries, but if there’s really a need, they may be able to be creative to find a way” - other industries and companies can do it, so can they.  It may not be a traditional direct lobbying route though, which means it could take longer, involve more groups to convince, etc.  They might even have to band together with other similar providers or something to get things done.

Edited by Brother Lunkhead

Something else to look at: we actually don’t know why this particular segment of content is being stated to be “unavailable” - it may have nothing to do with legislation.

ArielRSA has indicated that at least some of the content does appear to be accessible in a place where the warning indicates that it wouldn’t.  My guess is that it instead has something to do with the way it’s worded, but it might not (seeming like legal-speak for “if you do this, we warned you not to” instead of “it won’t be available”).  I think we are all speculating on what it would take to resolve the problem, because at the end of the day, I assume that everyone here would at least like the fair chance for everyone that wants to be able to have the chance to enjoy the full amount of material offered in the subscription.

I get the discontent but this isnt new, all streaming services do some sort of limitation of their content due to international laws or rights. It is more apparent in a service as small as warhammer+ and only one company producing the content but they will still need to abide to international laws.

I get the discontent but this isnt new, all streaming services do some sort of limitation of their content due to international laws or rights. It is more apparent in a service as small as warhammer+ and only one company producing the content but they will still need to abide to international laws.

Yup an example of this is US Netflix vs UK Netflix, I feel robbed with the UK version.

Mate, if a service tells you "Hey, seems like you're in a location where the full service isn't available yet" - not put it in the fineprint, but outright tells you - and you *still* subscribe without any research then, yeah, the onus of guilt is on you.

I don't disagree, but this isn't a moral or legal analysis, it's an observation about their business practice. It's stupid for GW to offer up W+ to an audience that can't access most of the service's content. It provides them very little return besides customer service time and complaints. They have enough to deal with even if everything else goes right.

Yup an example of this is US Netflix vs UK Netflix, I feel robbed with the UK version.

I don't think this has anything to do with domestic or international law. As far as i know, most streaming services put geographical limits due to license costs. They buy license to stream a movie in a given region from the owners (studios etc.). Sometimes the company thinks that there won't be enough viewers in a given region to get the money back. At least this is the issue with Netlix, Disney+ etc.

Could it be a lack of language options thing? Whether legally or self-imposed? Not having close-captioned translations or simply not offering the interface in other languages?

Obligatory Not a Lawyer, but...

For France this could very well be the issue. I know that the use of French in quite a few circumstances is a legal requirement (Toubon Law).

I'm in Finland and upon subscribing I was warned by the yellow box that the Warhammer TV service wouldn't be available in my country.

Subscibed anyway (the deal was still good in my opinion) and you know what? The service works both in browser and the official Warhammer TV app. I've already watched a battlereport and about to watch the Death's Hand episode of Hammer and Bolter just now :teehee: :teehee: No VPNs or other gimmicks needed.

I'm in Italy, I had the same message when I was choosing my subscription and it was very weird.

But I can see everything with no problem, warhammer tv and all the rest. 

I'm happy but this is not a great launch... so many bugs and confusion. I get it, it's a new thing but...

Edited by Jaipii

Could it be a lack of language options thing?  Whether legally or self-imposed?  Not having close-captioned translations or simply not offering the interface in other languages?

Not an issue in Poland as far as I'm aware.

Does it use chrome cast and / or have an actual downloadable app or just via browser?

Yes, there's a Warhammer TV app available on Android and iOS (along with Apple TV, Fire TV and Roku).

I haven't used Chromecast, but many people on reddit have been saying they are using it.

I said on Facebook that I was in France and got that message and asked clarification whether animations where the same as Warhammer TV. Warcom replied to me:

You will not be able to access video content without Warhammer TV but you will be able to access all the other content such as the Vault, the Warhammer 40,000 app, and you'll be able to pick your free miniature. You'll also receive the voucher offer by signing up by the end of August.

I guess the free miniature and apps may be the reasons why they aren't limiting subscriptions. As other frater who got the warning message are apparently managing to view the content anyway I may take the risk and subscribe anyway...

Does it use chrome cast and / or have an actual downloadable app or just via browser?

Yes, there's a Warhammer TV app available on Android and iOS (along with Apple TV, Fire TV and Roku).

I haven't used Chromecast, but many people on reddit have been saying they are using it.

Thanks for that

=][=

Well, this is all very lively:yes: ......and going very well:ermm: .....:no: 

I've hidden some posts and edited others for inflammatory, unconstructive, political, and off topic content (you know, stuff that the rules of the B&C prohibit) in an attempt to give this thread some resemblance to a constructive conversation.

Please note that I've left some quotes from hidden posts intact to provide context in more constructive posts. Also note that as this is more of an opinion piece concerning a new release and not really news, I will shortly move this thread to the AMICUS forum.

Please, please, PLEASE keep your posts friendly and focused before or I lay down the closehammer down.

As always, send me a PM if you have questions or concerns. I'll get back to you ASAP. As usual, I am here to serve:yes: 

=][=

=][=

This didn't take long now did it?

Some fraters seem to misunderstand the intent of this thread. Let me state what it is NOT about. It is NOT about frater(s) inability to read or understand Terms and Conditions, and it is NEVER about sniping:no: 

I'm locking this thread down for a 48 hour cool down period. Please note what I've stated above. If after this thread is  unlocked and you still feel the need to continue in this manner, please feel free not to post here at all. This will mean that I don't have to hide your post(s) and you don't have to receive an official caution from me.

My apologies for inconveniencing  those of you who have participated in this conversation with good will.

=][=