Review of WH+ It's current state and it's potential

Orange Knight

I was actually really impressed by the 40k battle report.  It was well paced, I thought, and I was happy to see kitbashes and modified models in the armies.  The terrain was amazing, and it sounded like Jonathan Keeble did the intro which was nice.  

I like it so far... but I wanted one of the models. What I'd like to see in the future is an option for a voucher if I don't like one of the minis. I don't think there will be enough value for me otherwise

I'm pretty sure that once they start arriving, those models that end up on eBay and the like will sell high enough to cover 50-100% of your annual subscription....
Especially the early ones from the yearly subscriptions

That's a fair point, I don't tend to consider resale value. That said it does add in a bit or work and the return is uncertain.

I'd prefer the convenience of just getting something I want.

Funny, but I can't even link my warhammer account to warcom and thus can't subscrobe to warhammer +.

All i get is "nurgling infestation"

I got that. It went away when I turned off my Ad Blocker for the site. I also can't access it on Vivaldi, I have to use Chrome. I wouldn't be surprised if a VPN or even an Antivirus could have a negative effect too. Maybe there's something among that lot that can help you.

Sadly nothing helps - I still can't link accounts, no matter what settings I change.

This release reeks of amateurism...

I thought it wasn't available in Poland yet??

Has anyone else in the US had a problem with subscribing? I keep trying to, but it redirects me right back to the same page I’m trying to subscribe from.

I am having this issue; was trying to upgrade my 40K app to the + app. I’m not that into the idea though to devote much time to resolving it. I give GW enough money for models and books, I don’t need old articles and cartoons and I get my painting tips for free on YouTube and from a Duncan subscription. I’m also leery of anything GW has attempted from a subscription perspective; their track record of supporting it beyond a year is murky at best. Army builder, paint app, AoS app, black library app, visions, white dwarf weekly, etc etc.

If this thing is still a thing in 3 years I’ll be first on the line to receive told you so’s.

I haven't subscribed yet but I plan on it but I have a few questions for those that have subbed

1. Is the app chromecast compatible because watching on TV is better

2. What does it actually unlock in the 40k app? Codices? Army builder? Faction Rules?

I haven't subscribed yet but I plan on it but I have a few questions for those that have subbed

1. Is the app chromecast compatible because watching on TV is better

2. What does it actually unlock in the 40k app? Codices? Army builder? Faction Rules?

I can’t answer your chrome cast question but for the App:

The subscription unlocks the following features in the app:

1) The full core rules for the game and FAQs

2) The Codexes for all armies that do NOT have a 9th edition codex released (you can still view the datasheets for armies that do have a 9th edition codex but that is all, you can’t see things like relics, warlord traits or anything else that isn’t a unit datasheet).

3) The army builder. This lets you completely build armies for any faction that does NOT have a 9th edition codex. You can add warlord traits, relics etc. For factions that DO have a 9th edition codex, you can still build basic lists using unit datasheets but you can’t do things like add relics/warlord traits, psychic powers or view information on certain options.

If you wish to use the app to view codexes or build lists for any faction that has had a book published in 9th edition you must still purchase that book and enter the code into the app to unlock that information, the subscription does not unlock it for you.

I have quite enjoyed my first week of subscription to WH+.

While I'm not sold on Angels of Death (mainly due to the sound compartment; I completely agree with cretacianborn's post in the BL section review thread) Hammer and Bolter has entertained me way more than I expected. Bound for Greatness is a remarkable episode, as I was not expecting for them to dwelve in the more dystopian aspects of the Imperium straigh away, in the second episode. Also, putting marines in the background for a minute and focusing on different aspects of the 40k universe helps broadening the scope of the setting. These are two things that I felt the narrative was losing in the recent years.

The two Masterclass episode have been really good, aswell. They are well presented and quick to the point. I am not blind to the fact that you can probably find the same for free on Youtube, but they are very nice to have in the subscription.

The next week looks kind of bare to me, to be honest. Are they planning to drip-feed the different series by alternating a weekly release of only one out of the two we currently have? If so, I can't say I'm a fan of that.

Once they start building a decent catalogue, though, I can see this becoming a real must have for a fan. Their start was good enough for me on the first week- I hope they aren't slowing down already. 

Edited by The_Bloody

So far I'm also quite happy with it. First of all, signing up for 54 Euros, but getting a mini and a (presumably) 10 Euro voucher in return lowers the actual subscription cost for me significantly. 

Sign up worked without a hike, I have installed the app on my iPad and without any trouble on my Fire TV stick as well. I downloaded the 40k app, unlocked the sub there and again: no problems. 

Now to the content: I've watched Old Bale Eye and the inquisitor-assassin-short of Hammer & bolter. Old Bale Eye I considered meh, because I knew the lore and being told by Orks was not much of a twist for me. The inquisitor story was good though. Bit heavy on the gore maybe, but nicely written. Haven't watched the last one yet, but I am looking forward to it.

Angels of Death I loved quite a bit. I like the voice actors Black Library uses, liked the style of writing and enjoyed the first episode being a build up and introduction to the characters. Style-wise, I think, it looks great and I was surprised at how menacing the marines felt when they all showed up on the bridge. The idea of superhuman dread came across quite well, at least for me. 

I also watched the necron vs marines battlereport. Now, I usually don't care for that kind of stuff, I'd rather play myself. But I loved the presentation: two great-looking armies on a great looking battlefield - that's kinda my jam. I scratched my head at the layout of the terrain though (fire corridors everywhere), but in the end it wasn't that different to my own games. Friendly, very relaxed, I don't know...that was the way I like to play the game, both players complimenting each other or sharing the pain over dice rolls. Well played, Nick and Patrick.

And then there's the painting tutorials. I like Luise a lot, she's a charm on social media already. But she works well as a presenter, too. Both techniques were aptly shown and explained, the way it was shot was also great. I still think, I prefer Darren Latham as a presenter though, something about his way of explaining things was so relaxing, I don't know.

Haven't looked at the vault yet, might do that some time later this week.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to more content (keenly awaiting Loremasters) and do enjoy my sub very much. And that is even though I was skeptical before.

The lack of subtitles / closed captions for the painting tutorials and batreps is pretty annoying for me and my rubbish hearing. They help me pick out the bits of speech I miss-hear or miss out on. I’ve emailed the apps team and I’m hoping it’s addressed soon. Edited by VanDutch

Funny you say that. I had a look at the "Learn to play 40k" video and was surprised that there were captions on screen...which I couldn't turn off. I found them quite distracting. It also made me wonder why the player UI is a bit bare bones - no adjusting playback speed and no captions option, at least that's what it seemed like to me. It's still just a minor nitpick. I'm looking way more forward to the 2nd episode of Angels of Death. :)

So far I'm also quite happy with it. First of all, signing up for 54 Euros, but getting a mini and a (presumably) 10 Euro voucher in return lowers the actual subscription cost for me significantly. 

Sign up worked without a hike, I have installed the app on my iPad and without any trouble on my Fire TV stick as well. I downloaded the 40k app, unlocked the sub there and again: no problems. 

Now to the content: I've watched Old Bale Eye and the inquisitor-assassin-short of Hammer & bolter. Old Bale Eye I considered meh, because I knew the lore and being told by Orks was not much of a twist for me. The inquisitor story was good though. Bit heavy on the gore maybe, but nicely written. Haven't watched the last one yet, but I am looking forward to it.

Angels of Death I loved quite a bit. I like the voice actors Black Library uses, liked the style of writing and enjoyed the first episode being a build up and introduction to the characters. Style-wise, I think, it looks great and I was surprised at how menacing the marines felt when they all showed up on the bridge. The idea of superhuman dread came across quite well, at least for me. 

I also watched the necron vs marines battlereport. Now, I usually don't care for that kind of stuff, I'd rather play myself. But I loved the presentation: two great-looking armies on a great looking battlefield - that's kinda my jam. I scratched my head at the layout of the terrain though (fire corridors everywhere), but in the end it wasn't that different to my own games. Friendly, very relaxed, I don't know...that was the way I like to play the game, both players complimenting each other or sharing the pain over dice rolls. Well played, Nick and Patrick.

And then there's the painting tutorials. I like Luise a lot, she's a charm on social media already. But she works well as a presenter, too. Both techniques were aptly shown and explained, the way it was shot was also great. I still think, I prefer Darren Latham as a presenter though, something about his way of explaining things was so relaxing, I don't know.

Haven't looked at the vault yet, might do that some time later this week.

Anyways, I'm looking forward to more content (keenly awaiting Loremasters) and do enjoy my sub very much. And that is even though I was skeptical before.

There is an app?  Can’t see one in the App Store.

I love that the battle report with the orks uses Louise's actual orks - really nice and characterful conversions. Will be great to see more of the studio staff's own armies over time :smile.:

Not sure about the Necrons, but the Ultramarine's in the first 40k batrep were Nick Bayton's personal army too.

Yup, must have been Nick's Ultras, because of the back banners. Looking forward to watching the new batrep. Watched the power armour masterclass yesterday - techincally it was good, but I didn't like the painting style this time around. It was too turqouise-y for me and the highlights a bit too bright. Still, a good masterclass, tho.

Pleasantly surprised there's a dedicated app for Apple TV, so I can watch it all on my TV without having to mirror / cast anything. 

Sort-of enjoying Angels of Death having watched both episode so far - however, with most animations or audiobooks I still suffer "sounds better in my own head" with regards to how characters speak and objects sound. 

The intro music for the Masterclass sounds awfully familiar. Isn't it the same as Duncan Rhodes' YouTube channel?

The Black armor tutorial video was very much a streamlined verison of the tutorial Darren Latham had done a ways back. I very much appreciated the streamlined version, as it was easy to follow, and I'm still not a glaze master to the level that I can fully utilize Darren's aproach, but I appreciate very much having had access to both.