Battle Report - Death Guard vs. Imperial Fists

Wolf Lord Loki

Hi all

There has been a request for my most recent Battle Report so I will do my best to share anything I learnt from it

It was against Imperial Fists. Mostly Astartes with only a few Primaris

From memory he had:

Captain

Chaplain

Terminator chaplain

4*5man tactical squads

5man terminator squad

Ironclad Dreadnaught

2*5man assault squads

3 * landspeeder each with multimelta/ heavy flamer

Invictor scout walker

2* eradicator sniper squads

Lascannon predator tank

I had

Lord of Virulence

Plaguecaster

Blight bringer

Fowl blightspawn

5 blight lords

3* 10 plague marines

20 cultists

Greater blight drone

Drone with flesh mower

Defiler

We are playing for objectives as primary and I cant remember what the secondarys were. He took all his from the codex.

Think I took despoiled ground, spread sickness and kingslayer

Set up along long edges with 4 objectives available. If it could Deep Strike we both kept it in reserve. His eliminators set up by both flanks objectives with the invictor on my right hand side, his predator annihilator was on the left of his deployment zone and the centre anchored by the ironclad Dreadnaught and captain. The regular chaplain was over by the Predator and tactical squad s scattered to advance on objectives as needed.

I went with a much more central deployment with plasma plague squad, cultists and defiler on my right, and the drones on the left with everything else between.

More to follow if people are interested

I would like a batrep, but I don’t think you can take two DG secondaries in the same game.

Yes you can, they just cant be from the same catagory.

The only reason you dont see many people taking 2 DG secondaries is because they are pants

Sorry, but that's not true. Page 39, in bold for emphasis:

If every model in your army (excluding UNALIGNED units) had the Death Guard keyword, and your Warlord has the Death Guard keyword, you can, if you are playing a matched play battle that instructs you to select secondary objectives (e.g. a mission from the Eternal War mission pack in the Warhammer 40,000 Core Book), select one of them to be from the Death Guard secondary objectives listed below.
Edited by Marshal Loss

@marshal loss - only our second game of ninth ed so we might have made a few mistakes

He won the first turn and layed into the greater plague drone and the defiler (he'd had a bad experience with it last game). Krak missiles hurt but didn't kill either. Tacticals pushed forward to support the Eliminators. The cultists also got a pounding but held firm in the sight of their diseased masters and covered one of the objective

In my turn I mostly advanced to better place me for objectives next turn. The Greater Blight Drone and Defiler fired at something (either tactical or eliminators) but didn't do anything of note

Turn 2/3

The Imperial Fists mostly pounded me. They had a good round of shooting the GBD and Defiler died, the Invictor advanced and laid waste to the Cultists. They all died. It then shot up and assaulted the plague marines with the great plague cleaver who were able to provide some credible resistance and finally chopped it to bits after softening it up with a bit of plasma fire!

One plague marine squad diverted from the central line to support the flesh mower and at the end of turn 3 they assaulted the tactical squad and the Eliminators on the left flank. The flesh mower made a mess of the tactical squad but the Sargent survived to punch it into oblivion

Eliminators weren't able to stand up to a mostly full strength plague marine squad. This left the Predator, a chaplain and the surviving Sargent.

Starting to get worried as I was savingy terminators to counter some of the deep strikers but they had not arrived yet

Edit:

At some point the Contemptor went down too probably to las-fire from the Predator. My opponent was not willing to let me get off

Too many turns shooting after the last time I played him (where I damn near whipped a squad out of existence with a good round of shooting)

Edited by Wolf Lord Loki

As a CSM player, never be reactive with our deep strikers + fast movers, you set the pace and leave the opponent reactive. We don't have the tool box to counter counter that's for loyalist SM. We bully and exploit an opponents error and weather the counter blow. If you are super clever, you have piece traded your deep strikers + fast movers for advantage while possibly setup the enemy counter units for a beating later on or they are out of your way for a while. 

Edited by MegaVolt87

As a CSM player, never be reactive with our deep strikers + fast movers, you set the pace and leave the opponent reactive. We don't have the tool box to counter counter that's for loyalist SM. We bully and exploit an opponents error and weather the counter blow. If you are super clever, you have piece traded your deep strikers + fast movers for advantage while possibly setup the enemy counter units for a beating later on or they are out of your way for a while.

My plan was to bring them down centrally but given that I could have been countered by up to 16 other deep strikers. I didn't really want to give him something to focus on.

Turns 4-5

In the end he kinda split up the deep strikers with one 5 man squad attempting to counter the plague marines coming up the centre and the others (terminators and 5 assualt) reinforced the right objective.

I scored some spread the sickness points on the central objectives and pulled the plague marines back on the right hand central objective rather than advancing on that flank objective.

I did deep strike the Blightlords into the table quarter that that particular objective was hiding in so I could claim the table quarter at this point I had 3 table quarters.

In the middle the plague marines chewed through the assault marines. The ironclad had been chipped down wound wise previously and fluffed it's attacks. This left me with a clear run at the Captain/ Warlord which I attacked for the 'kingslayer' objective

On the left flank the chaplain and Sargent threw themselves into combat Vs the rest of the plague marines to give the Predator time to relocate and continue to zap at the Blightlords.

Final tally was 58: 61.

I lost but only by a very small margin. In old money we would have called that a Draw!

Edited the previous part to include the Contemptors death

Edited by Wolf Lord Loki