Exitium et Mortis. Accipiters 3rd Company

Primarch83

I have been wanting to build an Accipiters army since I first saw them years ago and have finally got down to it.

Since they have no official lore on them besides a profile of a marine, I have come up with my own.

Quick background(any advice on any of this would be appreciated. Trying to make it sound as close to official style lore as possible)

1.Raven Guard successor. When they were founded or a mystery of when, I have not decided on yet.

2.They were created as a chapter to hunt down traitor astartes. With Corax's hatred of the traitors, plus the fact they are named Accipiters which is the largest bird of prey family with many in it feeding on birds. It made sense for them to go after their own. Since they are loyalists that would mean killing traitor marines.

The chapter will of course fight other enemies of the Imperium but see it as almost a waste of time.

3. Fleet based chapter. This is so they can hunt down traitors at all times and work as a full chapter in almost all engagements.

4. The chapter was in protracted void conflict with chaos forces when the Cicatrix Maledictum split the Imperium in two. Unfortunately the entire chapter was close to the tear and 90% of the chapters ships were destroyed or vanished in an instant. (Maybe some of the chapter could exit the warp later on and this gives me modeling opportunities.)

5.After crossing paths with Guillimans Indomitus Crusade they were brought back to full strength with Primaris.

6. Highest ranking first born marine was Forgemaster Bryus who decided to cross the Rubicon Primaris and what was left of the firstborn did as well. Bryus is chapter master.

7.Highly aggressive chapter that prefers close range combat which is achieved through transport. They utilise Raven Guard style combat tactics still but not to such a high degree. Subtly, precision, aggression are the three combat tenets they follow for almost all situations. Use camouflage paint on units when it makes sense too.

Ok so thats the basics. I will add things as I go or change things if anyone has good ideas. I'm pondering what to do about apothecaries, techmarines, chaplains, etc color schemes. Maybe pick one dark color to paint them all like black and do shoulder pads accipiter blue? paint on the upper half that is normally blue the color that unit would be and do shoulder pad blue? paint them as normal?

I am also kicking around the idea of the companies being very specialized towards one type of combat after the 4th company. (5th company being a stealth based company, 6th be a strictly close combat based company, etc) Since they will almost always be fighting as a full chapter this could work well. 1st to 4th would be well rounded style companies. Or is that redundant because of how space marine companies are already designed?

Anyway here is some pics of what I've got done so far. The Accipiter blue shows up darker then it is in person. I changed backgrounds and light but it didn't seem to help. I think its my phone

I have not painted the company number in roman numeral on the left knee pad because I can not get it to look good through out. So instead I painted the company color. Maybe the chapter changed that way of doing things after the primaris inclusion.

The right knee pad is red with the symbol for 1st. This is 1st squad. The dust through out the models is gonna be toned down in areas when I get a chance.

gallery_32248_17137_1377365.jpg

gallery_32248_17137_951718.jpg

gallery_32248_17137_1561250.jpg

gallery_32248_17137_164523.jpg

Come up with markings for ranking, original firstborn status, unit type, etc. Will be Raven guard symbols from legion days. Sergeant has the symbol for tactical on his tilting shield and a veteran marking on the powerfist. All characters will have tilting shields with rankings on them.

gallery_32248_17137_330163.jpg

gallery_32248_17137_219940.jpg

Still working on the Gladiator. Need to lighten the turret and containers blue. Also weathering and base is not done.

gallery_32248_17137_1987.jpg

gallery_32248_17137_732074.jpg

gallery_32248_17137_505453.jpg

This was my test model for the chapter. Need to change the base to fit with the rest.

gallery_32248_17137_422670.jpg

gallery_32248_17137_197664.jpg

gallery_32248_17137_233687.jpg

More to come soon. Working on building a few characters and a Infiltrator unit that will be dust tan color similar to the bases with blacked out metals.

Cheers

Primarch83

Usually, a marine chapter's companies are divided as follows:

1. Veterans. If the chapter has terminators, they are here.

2.-5. Battle companies. Tacticals and their support squads, balanced for any resistance.

6.-9. Reserve companies of more singular fashion. 6th and 7th are purely linemen, while 8th is assault units (jump troops, bikes etc.) and 9th heavy support like Devastators.

10. Scout company, building up the recruits.

Usually it's the battle companies that go to war, drawing reinforcements from the reserve companies and support from the armour pool as necessary. If our crew fights mostly with the whole chapter present (supposing no major deviation from the above), they'd probably use the recon elements to prepare their targets in advance of unleashing the battle companies as a brutal finishing move. It could also be that they don't field reserve companies as such, so those more focused role groups could just be variations of the line companies for situations that call for more assault / stealth / speed / whatever focused efforts.

Nice scheme, too. The dusting looks good though maybe a bit overdone on some parts, like elbow joints.

If our crew fights mostly with the whole chapter present (supposing no major deviation from the above), they'd probably use the recon elements to prepare their targets in advance of unleashing the battle companies as a brutal finishing move. It could also be that they don't field reserve companies as such, so those more focused role groups could just be variations of the line companies for situations that call for more assault / stealth / speed / whatever focused efforts.

Nice scheme, too. The dusting looks good though maybe a bit overdone on some parts, like elbow joints.

This sounds like what I was thinking. Thank you for the input and I agree the dust is over done in spots and needs removing. Edited by Primarch83

Thank you for all the kind words and constructive criticism. It helps.

So now I'm working on Chaplain Zecharia and Apothecary Corvalus

Bare head or skull helm for Chaplain?

Techmarines, Librarians, Apothecaries and of course Chaplains will be black with accipiters blue on left shoulder, tilting shield and some gear items. Right shoulder and lower helm will be the color of office. Sometimes a stripe down helm instead. Right shoulder will also have symbol of office.

Apothecary was slapped together with bits I had and a assault intercessor body.

gallery_32248_17137_144678.jpg

gallery_32248_17137_714337.jpg

gallery_32248_17137_574814.jpg

gallery_32248_17137_649245.jpg

Cheers

Primarch

• 3 weeks later...

Been caught up painting WW2 tanks and what not for my father and haven't been able to Accipiters it up much lately.

But I was able to finish the Apoc.

gallery_32248_17137_538100.jpg

Building heavy intercessors at the moment and excited to put paint on them.

Cheers

Primarch83