Fleshtearer Bike Captain

Montuhotep

Straight-forward enough question, I suppose, but I'm in need of advice from those who actually play 'Tearers instead of my own thoughts.

If you take a FT captain on a bike with a storm shield, there is some adequate shooting from the twin bolters and some good protection. He comes with a standard chainsword, of course, but would you upgrade to Severer or the generic Teeth of Terra?

I realise this is the old question of attacks v damage but I'm cut down the middle, so would appreciate some advice.

P.S: I think it's daft you can't put a Primaris Captain on a bike, but you can do a Prime Chappy biker....

Edited by Paladin7221

P.S: I think it's daft you can't put a Primaris Captain on a bike, but you can do a Prime Chappy biker....

It's annoying but just what models they have produced I guess. Mind you, the Outrider sergeant makes a nice basis for a Captain on Bike conversion.

gallery_82363_13858_174505.jpg

Back to the OP, I favour Teeth of Terra. Quantity has a quality all of its own! :biggrin.:

I think the storm shield can be ditched. A captain already gets a 4++, so really all you are losing is an effective 2+. Unless you think you are regularly going to be targeted by AP 0 or 1 shots en masse, then I think you can drop it. If you do, this then opens up the ability to have two melee weapons.... so you could take the Severer or Teeth of Terra, then a power fist or thunder hammer. Or take a power fist or thunder hammer and a lightning claw... you get the idea.

You then have a fast, mobile, tough and very versatile melee missile that can shred hordes as well as smash tanks, monsters or knights. 

Teeth of terra, no question. You're looking at +3A vs a mortal on a 5+ to wound, so realistically you're looking at 1-2 mortals versus 3x D2 attacks. The additional S is moot as FT's get +1 to wound anyway, so both weapons wound MEQ on a 2+. Severer has the advantage vs Gravis, as you might be able to do a few D2 hits then plink off any leftover wounds with mortals. Against T3 I think more attacks is better overall.