Chimera in Angels of Death

KingYertle

As a Long Time Guard player I just need to thank the Angels of Death animators for making the Multi-laser, arguably the worse heavy weapon in the game, look so Bad Ass!!!  

I recommend every guard player check out Angels of Death episode 2.  While yes its GSC manning the Chimera, it was still are great moment. 

It brings me hope that our warp lost 9th edition codex might not suck.

Perhaps some spoiler tags which is generally the norm in the BL section when discussing lore that is newly released and others haven't had a chance to catch up yet.

Let's not spoil the surprise for others by accident.

Perhaps some spoiler tags which is generally the norm in the BL section when discussing lore that is newly released and others haven't had a chance to catch up yet.

Let's not spoil the surprise for others by accident.

Very valid point.  My humble apologies if in my excitement I inadvertently spoiled the surprise for others.

Hello everyone,

first time posting here. :)

I agree that the multi-laser currently is one of the worst heavy weapons in the game. This bothers me especially because the multi-laser feels very iconic and unique to the guard (yes there are techmarines that can operate rapier multi-lasers but you don't see them that often ;-) ).

But I also feel like it is misrepresented somewhat. The multi-laser is supposed to be a las-cannon that is fired in short bursts and split onto multiple targets, while still retaining some of the las-cannons punch. Giving the multi-laser some AP would be justifiable, no?

Looking back at 3rd edition it's funny to see how the assault cannon and multi-laser were very similar. Over the editions the assault cannon got buffed while the multi-laser stayed the same.

Coming back to the topic: Doesn't the Astartes short animation feature a scene with a twin-linked multi-laser operated by some kind of rebel guardsmen? (You should find it on youtube if you search for "Astartes")

I agree that the multi-laser currently is one of the worst heavy weapons in the game. This bothers me especially because the multi-laser feels very iconic and unique to the guard (yes there are techmarines that can operate rapier multi-lasers but you don't see them that often ;-) ).

But I also feel like it is misrepresented somewhat. The multi-laser is supposed to be a las-cannon that is fired in short bursts and split onto multiple targets, while still retaining some of the las-cannons punch. Giving the multi-laser some AP would be justifiable, no?

They should just give it AP-2 like hotshot weapons, maybe even give it heavy 4. Basically a bigger hotshot volley gun.

In 2nd ed when the Chimera was introduced:

Heavy bolter: 20" (short) 40" (long) S5 d4 damage -2 save Sustained Fire 2

Multi laser: 20" +1 to hit (short) 60" (long) S6 d4 damage -1 save Sustained Fire 3

Assault Cannon: 12" +1 to hit (short) 32" (long) S8 d10 damage -3 save Sustained Fire 3

Sentinels had assault cannons which were basically autocannons with three times the sustained fire dice but half the range. Multi-lasers were worse against armour than a heavy bolter but had an extra sustained fire die and the range of a lascannon.

3rd ed just changed 1 sustained fire die into 2 shots and then capped every weapon at 3 shots. Assault cannons then got massively nerfed into +1 strength heavy bolters.

3rd ed just changed 1 sustained fire die into 2 shots and then capped every weapon at 3 shots. Assault cannons then got massively nerfed into +1 strength heavy bolters.

... Until they got ye olde 'Rend' when GW came to their senses somewhat about purely binary armour vs save states. Anyone remember 'rending ponies'?

I agree with the OP in general. One point of AP seems eminently reasonable, but it'd be even cooler if there were 1-3 settings to throw it on which basically equate to scaling S/AP with number of shots / range / both.

So something like

(Pulse) Heavy 3 0-18" S6 AP-2 D2;

(Burst) Heavy 4 0-30" S6 AP-1 D1;

(Sustained) Heavy 5 0-36" S5 AP- D1

Highly unlikely to ever happen... Although missile launchers have two stat-lines I guess, and so do things like Fire Prisms (unfortunately, mostly only 1 is useful in each game and lance is rarely if ever used).

Love to see something like this as long as Scatter Lasers are also improved / fixed in comparison to the starcannon ; )

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.

Heavy 6 48” s6 ap- d1?

Longer range but no ap compared to the assault cannon

Double the shots but half the damage of the heavy bolter

Less strength damage and ap than the auto cannon but triple the shots

Is it different enough from its 3 main counterparts? Could mow down t5 Orks pretty well?

Longer range but no ap compared to the assault cannon

Double the shots but half the damage of the heavy bolter

Less strength damage and ap than the auto cannon but triple the shots

Not bad, but assault cannons and Autocannons are both pretty anemic at present. I think give them ALL a point of AP and call it a day. Assault cannon suffers plenty from range and dmg; autocannon is almost great, but... not quite. I think autocannon would be more rounded with another shot though, most likely.

Cheers,

The Good Doctor.