Pronunciations

Valkyrion

I thought the Wyrd was Word, like Wyrm is Worm.

Librarian - library - books - words - wyrds....Wyrdmake is just a Librarian....no?

It was the Ohthere I was stuck on, like oh there ay rather than oh there.

The BL audiobooks use the weird (as in strange) pronunciation whenever space Wolves use it to talk about supernatural powers/fate etc. I haven’t listened to the audiobook with that particular character in though so can’t be 100% on the rest of his name.

Whilst on the subject, Tyranids...

They herald from the planet Tyran, pronounced "tie-ran", yet people call them "Teeranids"? Seems off to me.

Tyr

Týr (/tɪər/;[1] Old Norse: Týr, pronounced [tyːz̠])

EDIT: this isn't so much a normative statement, as much as a guess to a source of where and why I think most people say x

Edited by Reinhard

Originally named after the planet Tyran (Tie-ran), Tyranids were pronounced similar to Tie-ran-o-saurus.

But people look at it and see Tir-a-nid, so that has become prevalent, even among the Studio, although there is scope for the previous pronunciation.

I say Tir-a-nid.

Originally named after the planet Tyran (Tie-ran), Tyranids were pronounced similar to Tie-ran-o-saurus.

Valkyrions comment above though is that despite it being Tie-ran, it's tih-run-ids, in the same manner that Tyrant and Tyranny are tie-rant and tih-run-knee.

I pronouce Sike-NEW-IN, but I can see it being Sike-noy-in, also Oather-weird-make. Wolves are amazingly literal, so just bang two words together, like calling killing "murder-make". So wyrdmake is someone that makes wyrd (psychic powers). 

Funnily enough both pronunciations sought have been covered by BL audio. There it was indeed sike-new-in and Oh-ther Weird-make. 

Still, BL audio pronunciation isn't wholly set in stone. There have been several narrators pronouncing Roboute Guilliman differently. The predominant form seems to be Row-bootay Gilly-man.

I thought the Wyrd was Word, like Wyrm is Worm. 

Librarian - library - books - words - wyrds....Wyrdmake is just a Librarian....no?

It was the Ohthere I was stuck on, like oh there ay rather than oh there.

Wyrd is an old spelling of weird.

https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/weird#English

Though Urd would be the more norse form.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

Still, BL audio pronunciation isn't wholly set in stone. There have been several narrators pronouncing Roboute Guilliman differently. The predominant form seems to be Row-bootay Gilly-man.

I always thought it was ro-BOOT, the French form of Robert.

I always thought it was ro-BOOT, the French form of Robert.

It's the other pronunciation I feel is fitting. You'll also hear it a lot in BLs audio outings.