BCC’s 8th Brotherhood - The Silver Blades

“Another one Mithrac, see here the scaled tattoo below the sternum?” Justicar Nedth rose to his feet, favouring his right leg as he used his halberd for support. Richly oxygenated crimson trickled from the wound in his thigh, staining the edge of his moon grey tabard.

Mithrac Tor knelt beside the corpse. Upon death, in this case a decapitating strike from Nedth, an inky blue & green electtoo had revealed itself. A snaking multi headed mythical creature twisting across the heretics blood spattered upper chest. Servos whined as Mithrac stood beside Nedth.

”Get the wound seen to Dain.” Sighed Mithrac gesturing with his sparking damaged left gauntlet. Alone the two would often lapse into their first names, a habit from their distant shared pasts. Brother-Captain Tor, 8th Brotherhood of the Grey Knights of distant Titan, wielder of the ancient Nemesis halberd “Sunshard”, sub commander of the Silver Blades…would always be Mithrac to Nedth. Hardly a concession mused Mithrac given the blood they had shed for Him on Terra for the last three centuries.

“Aye, when you see an Apothecary blink click me his location.” Gallows humour,  Nedth grunted. His helm distorting the sound to a deep cough. Apothecary Seddyian had fallen days ago. Mithrac had found the ancient warrior waist deep in fallen masonry. Dozens of sub human bodies lay shredded about him, his Nemesis falchion broken. Seddyian had resorted to tearing them apart with his bare hands at the end it seemed. A hard death.

Mithrac & Dain both heard the deep gong vox contact signal. Garbled & distorted through layers of sub strata and tombs came the calm voice of Pioneas. “Contact 2 clicks west of your locators brothers.” Barking storm bolters in the background twisted his words slightly.

Dain allowed azure witchfire to curl from his gauntlets, slowly creeping its way to the halberds blade. Flaring blue flames lit the corridor. “Brother-Captain Tor and I are engaging the threat brother. We are the hammer.”

”We are the mailed fist brother!” Pioneas closed the link.

….welcome fellow knights!

It’s been over a decade since I collected Grey Knights and with the new boxed set Hexfires release I have decided to change that! The Knights of Titan have always been firm favourites of mine since their stunning update in 5th edition. My collection from that time was a large one designed for the Badab War campaign weekend at Warhammer World. Painted in 2 weeks it was a nice tabletop standard for me. Sadly the collection is no longer in my possession but I like to think it’s out there somewhere…fighting and slaying daemons still! In all of their glory:

267295_210549262327391_173342406048077_536483_7702638_n.jpg

Spool forward to today. I’ve decided to turn my hand to the 8th Brotherhood, the Silver Blades. With the codex in hand and the interweb I’ve invested in some lovely tomb/mausoleum bases and even mini candles for them. The theme is that 8th have been cleansing the Red Fall worlds and found sub cults deeply hidden in the cemetery worlds therein.

44050E27 59C1 4510 B0C5 4936F25C2969

A5B537FE 4979 4634 AB0A 942168B610FA

C9C1F392 1D62 4D44 B155 6CCA42164A8E

3CFB813E EEC0 47DD 8B0C 5D7BC25A9A9E

3C54856B 60BD 465A A4B0 9CE2CDB8DD46

With Grey Knights stalking these mausoleum worlds daemons are sure to be found, with cultists performing horrific rituals with blood candles & sacrifices! 

That’s the hobby/project adventure seed anyway….

For we are Mankind’s divine blade!

BCC
Edited by battle captain corpus

Cheers everyone! 

Where did you get the bases and candles from they are so cool

The bases are from a wonderful little company called Dark Art Miniatures & the candles are from the equally lovely folks at Anvil Industries.

If anyone’s ever followed my other projects (such as my Black Legion etc) it’s kind of become a running joke that I like to double/triple the cost of a project by using 3rd party bits. :teehee:

But I’m always trying to do each project justice for sure!

BCC

Those bases are lovely and decorating them with candles will be the wax icing on the cake! :biggrin.: They fit your army theme very nicely too, I'm keen to see some of these painted up :tu:

Cheers, yeah me to! Had confirmation that the bases are on the way today so looking like it’s almost go time! Also the Sabre Silver spray arrived today from TT Combat and I’m really looking forward to trying that out!

The plan at the moment is to convert the Crowe mini into my Brother Captain Tor. Whilst most brothers of that rank wear terminator armour I’m feeling as though Tor is already a bit more fluid thinking, suiting the 8th style of warfare etc.

So it’ll be Crowes mini as a base, with halberd and no cape. The Antwyr sword and banner will also go so in time I can convert another Crowe from these parts.

BCC

The first miniature for this project….and it’s a tank! :biggrin.:

07A9026A 21B7 4832 BDCC 47492EBFDF64

F8A27A1F C54C 411D B513 FDD472D434E4

Obviously I have left the cupola plate separate so that it can be used as a Rhino but with 5 man Strike Squads planned it may see far more use as a Razorback let’s face it! Plus a couple of extra lascannons freeeeming around never hurt anyone. :wink: 

BCC

Hey not bad choice for first kit for this project. I glued my top hatches down because I only run 5 man squads, except for my big Paladin mob and purifiers, but even then the purifiers got a land raider

The final bases arrived today and I’m a very happy battle captain now for sure! The columns also came in the post! I’m probably going to leave the candles in their casting sprues for ease of painting.

The bases and columns will get a hearty soak and scrub in soapy water then left to dry overnight I think.

73591C1F 0DD4 4716 A99F AB788A1108C8

51914A5A 907F 4A79 ABCE BEA1DD97B3B1

1110461D 3E1F 4EBE B486 1F746A89A973

BEF52D6B 5A08 41EE 95E7 0E0174902E73

9B98E378 7175 4A5C 9915 E140E231CA09

3A8D0525 FB1B 435F 82FD 5A4FB90BAE47

All in all I’m very happy and cannot wait to get some paint on these!

BCC

More villains to be removed by my Chaos it seems... the Sons of Magnus will prove their dominion over the warp! :P You're off to a good start with the extras, I might need to look into some myself. A bit of masonry and candles here and there would add much to my Chaos bases and perhaps elsewhere too :)

More villains to be removed by my Chaos it seems... the Sons of Magnus will prove their dominion over the warp! :tongue.: You're off to a good start with the extras, I might need to look into some myself. A bit of masonry and candles here and there would add much to my Chaos bases and perhaps elsewhere too :smile.:

*hisses, runes of the aegis lighting up* Daemon.. *powers up nemesis force halberd*

Edited by Skywrath

Cheers guys!

Had a nice hobby vid-link evening tonight and managed to knock up the first two Brothers of a Strike squad. I’ve always been a fan of the “classic” Grey Knights with either Halberds or Force Swords and as such the majority of my marines will wield these.

7589AB35 50AE 41A9 A7D5 50C0847CDE17

Also I had forgotten just how unique each Grey Knight is, with their personalised armour and poses etc. Just getting these assembled felt like a real treat after all of the kitbashing I’ve done for other projects!

BCC

Breaking open the TT Combat spray today was a wise choice on my part! It’s coverage is really grand and with a wash of Drakenhof Nightshade, dry brush of Necron Compound then a pin wash of Nuln Oil that’s the armour finished!

Probably clocks in at maybe 30 mins a mini at the moment which is fine by me. By far the brightest armour I’ve ever painted that’s for sure. 

53E71EFD FB34 4573 959F 03973BB55EC6

B091D57E C36B 416C B593 AF415B49F5C4

D2F55998 A354 4134 A2F3 FCA62D840F7E

I have made some progress on the bases but that’s just dry brushing and washes so nothing overly fancy. 

BCC

That looks great BCC!

Thanks bud! Yeah I’m really chuffed with it! Also it’s really crisp and cleaner in real life, the pics aren’t great.

I also knocked out one of the bases today so I can get a feel for them. As with most resin products I gave it a good scrub with warm soapy water then broke the brushes out. I feel it might need one last lighter dry brush just to make it pop and make it look crisper?

F6661244 021A 4AF8 9E62 301936C841E0

BCC

The test mini is pretty much finished! Came out more or less how I wanted!

It’s been a while since I painted a blade this way and I’m glad I fell back into the swing of it. 

BADF3D60 DE16 42F4 AD36 28B469DEDD67

BCC

I’m a bit of a traditionalist and with the first Strike squad almost finished I needed a classic Justicar.

I was torn here as Halberds are always going to win rule of cool but in the end the gamer in me couldn’t resist the Daemon Hammer for him!

4E2CCC3B BC94 4C41 9A76 1D86A5D8B5F9

The two handed weapon stances on Grey Knights are second to none and with the right twist of the waist etc you can really get a sense of how powerful that weapon can be!

With the first squad assembled now it’ll be onto more painting I think. With some games coming up in November I’ll need a second squad ready by then to though!

BCC