the 4 specialized units of the Einherjar

Jarl Caldersson

Not the greatest writer, but here is an attempt to write about the 4 specialized units of the Allfathers Einherjar. It is written from the perspective of a young Syster of Battle, during deployment preperation for combat. Give my critcism, I would love to improve my writing.

Bergljot=a young Syster of Battle

Grom= A eldar Gothi (chaplain) of the Einherjar.

Bergljot couldn't help but feel giddy, she attempted to restrain herself. Goth Grom could see right through the act, noticing even the slight movement of her body movement. He smiled slightly, but pretended not to notice. It had been many years since he felt that same emotion. Once the elevator doors opened there was a roar of industrial sounds. She stepped out and approached a rail guard, looking out across the Thunderhawk hangar. Chaos and organization blended into the perfect ballad of logistics. Disorganized groups formed into briefing groups. Then dismissed and spread out to carry out their individual tasks. Einherjar and Systers carried out as varied duties as the human crew that scurried about. Some loaded cargo into the Thunderhawks, received blessing, while others sparred. They all awaited their chalks to be called out.

Four distinct Einherjar groups stood out from the rest. The first she noticed was armor painted in a matte black with trinkets strapped to them. They wore wolf skull helmets, with bright red glowing lenses. They also maintained pelts about them. She figured these were the Úlfhéðnar she heard about. The Úlfhéðnar kneeled near a Gothi while he chanted prayers and blessings. They then stood up and performed rattle checks. Jumping up and down to make sure they made no sound and securing any loose ends. Stalking around the outskirts, they moved. Their predatory red gaze scanned around, at one point one looked at Bergjlot. A wave of his hatred washed over her, before a primitive feeling of fear struck her core. She shrank for a moment, like a rabbit gazed upon by a wolf. He then looked away, as he approached the air shield that divided the ship's atmosphere from the void. His squad lined up with him before nodding to one another, and jumping off toward the planet.

As the feeling of fear began to fade Gorm spoke up making her jump, "Looking at the witch killers, eh? Scary lot, the Úlfhéðnar are... their hatred for the witch knows no limits. It is said that sorcery does not affect them and will bounce off their armor. Whether that is due to their hatred or something else, I do not know...". She simply nodded, still attempting to regain her constitution.

Overhead sirens blared, as the vox called out "Chalk One prepare to load, again Chalk One prepare to load". Mass chaos ensued as every combatant began to form ranks. First the thanes, then Systers, next the Einherjar. Slowly moving behind the rest, heavy plated Einherjar moved up the ramp. Their helmets were made to look like that of a boar, with tusks that came out and a flat nose. She remembered her tutoring that these were the "Jöfurr" or "Svinfylking". Their duty was to be at the front of a charge, or disembarkment from vehicles. Then move into formation to protect the lighter armored troops behind them. They were the most armored of any unit, carrying storm shields to help in the defenses. Rumors in her younger days at the Schola Progenium said that they were tougher than any tank. Able to take a shot from an orbital cannon. Everyone knew it was a lie, but took glee in the fantasy. Looking upon them now she wasn't sure it was far from the truth. As they sat down a new set of lights and sirens blared, people scrambling away as the ramp closed.

There was only a single thing louder than the klaxons and sirens. That was a group of Einherjar that sparred upon the floor. Not in single combat, but a group of all versus all. They seemed to not care of any damages they caused. Evident by deep dents in the deck of the ship. From them crashing, punching, kicking one another. They wore no helmets as their head butts made cracking sounds like 2 rocks hitting one another. Everyone kept a 5-meter distance from this group, even as it roamed its way around the deck. She thought to herself. "These brutes must be the Berserkers, they look so undisciplined. They are nothing more than animals". She continued to watch in wild disbelief. These were the ferocious warriors that were held so high? The Úlfhéðnar and Jöfurr had a sense of ferocity but still disciplined.

As the fighting progressed it made it to a platform. On it stood several decorated Marines overlooking a holo-view of the soon-to-be battlefield. One Marine stepped off, grabbing the nearest Berserker. Before he could react, the Marine slammed his gauntlet into the Berserker's face. This stunned the man-animal as it stumbled back. The Marine kept grabbing at more, breaking up the scuffle. They all stood in a row, battered from the beating they had received. The Marine started yelling, Berljot could only hear muffled words though.

Nearby door opened up, from them came the behemoth that was Jarl Caldersson. He was accompanied by an even more incredible, but slightly smaller sight. A Custodes. She looked on with wonder at the Emperor's own bodyguard. Even though Jarl Caldersson presence alone would have demanded notice. He vanished near the Custode. The Custode carried himself like a noble among peasants. She whispered prayers to herself upon seeing such a sight, and could not look away. They approached the platform, Jarl Caldersson giving the right of way to the Custode. It all made sense now. The decorated Marines were the most respected and pinnacle of the Allfather Einherjar. They were the Huskarls, house guards of the chapter and only below the Jarls themselves. Caldersson then stepped on the platform and began battle plans. An empty area was near reserved for another.

Not the greatest writer, but here is an attempt to write about the 4 specialized units of the Allfathers Einherjar.

I love the Allfathers Einherjar, especially L J Koh's artwork for them. I will be coming back to read this!

Thank you for the kind words, and yes L J Kohl did a wonderful job on the artwork. The Allfathers Einherjar were a dream to make a unique chapter that felt different, but still fit into the 40k universe. In my own greed I can only hope it gets traction and more recognition as that would be one of the greatest honors, to be recognized by the community. However work must be done to earn it.

From here I may start discussing what happened before this event as I will be taking some of my personal experience from combat and injecting it into the story. noticeable the effect long term combat has upon the body. I only hope I can convey the experience to words well enough so that others can taste that experience.

Not the greatest writer, but here is an attempt to write about the 4 specialized units of the Allfathers Einherjar.

I love the Allfathers Einherjar, especially L J Koh's artwork for them. I will be coming back to read this!

Thank you for the kind words, and yes L J Kohl did a wonderful job on the artwork. The Allfathers Einherjar were a dream to make a unique chapter that felt different, but still fit into the 40k universe. In my own greed I can only hope it gets traction and more recognition as that would be one of the greatest honors, to be recognized by the community. However work must be done to earn it.

From here I may start discussing what happened before this event as I will be taking some of my personal experience from combat and injecting it into the story. noticeable the effect long term combat has upon the body. I only hope I can convey the experience to words well enough so that others can taste that experience.

Are you planning on writing an Index Astartes style article (3rd ed or Imperial Armour style) or stick with just fragments of law?

Are you planning on writing an Index Astartes style article (3rd ed or Imperial Armour style) or stick with just fragments of law?

I will attempt to do so. I would need to find a good template.

I will attempt to do so. I would need to find a good template.

Awesome I look forward to following along.

Here is a good place to start; a selection of the best IA. The Castigators are the most held up example to try an emulate but in terms of pure layout on B&C I do believe my Praedicators are up there (If you want a pdf style template check here)

Bergljot=a young Syster of Battle

Are you going for a Valykrie type thing with the Systers? Is it a close alliance or are they one combined force?

Four distinct Einherjar groups stood out from the rest. The first she noticed was armor painted in a matte black with trinkets strapped to them. They wore wolf skull helmets, with bright red glowing lenses. They also maintained pelts about them. She figured these were the Úlfhéðnar she heard about. The Úlfhéðnar kneeled near a Gothi while he chanted prayers and blessings. They then stood up and performed rattle checks. Jumping up and down to make sure they made no sound and securing any loose ends. Stalking around the outskirts, they moved. Their predatory red gaze scanned around, at one point one looked at Bergjlot. A wave of his hatred washed over her, before a primitive feeling of fear struck her core. She shrank for a moment, like a rabbit gazed upon by a wolf. He then looked away, as he approached the air shield that divided the ship's atmosphere from the void. His squad lined up with him before nodding to one another, and jumping off toward the planet.

So these are the Wolf Scouts? I know you said they are Space Wolf Successors before but I also remember reading that they don't really feel that closely related. A 2nd Founding (Or are they all Primaris) could be the best solution to give lots of time for divergence.

I think the chapter would be similar to the Sons of Orar:

This Chapter reveres Orar, an Ultramarines Legion captain who won great renown in the wake of the Horus Heresy. The Sons of Orar seek to follow that magnificent example, and they have carved out a truly impressive honour roll over the millennia in pursuit of that goal.

Overhead sirens blared, as the vox called out "Chalk One prepare to load, again Chalk One prepare to load". Mass chaos ensued as every combatant began to form ranks. First the thanes, then Systers, next the Einherjar. Slowly moving behind the rest, heavy plated Einherjar moved up the ramp. Their helmets were made to look like that of a boar, with tusks that came out and a flat nose. She remembered her tutoring that these were the "Jöfurr" or "Svinfylking". Their duty was to be at the front of a charge, or disembarkment from vehicles. Then move into formation to protect the lighter armored troops behind them. They were the most armored of any unit, carrying storm shields to help in the defenses. Rumors in her younger days at the Schola Progenium said that they were tougher than any tank. Able to take a shot from an orbital cannon. Everyone knew it was a lie, but took glee in the fantasy. Looking upon them now she wasn't sure it was far from the truth. As they sat down a new set of lights and sirens blared, people scrambling away as the ramp closed.

These sound cool, and very intimidating. Are the Jöfurr a seperate squad (Lore wise) or are they a selected member within the squads?

There was only a single thing louder than the klaxons and sirens. That was a group of Einherjar that sparred upon the floor. Not in single combat, but a group of all versus all. They seemed to not care of any damages they caused. Evident by deep dents in the deck of the ship. From them crashing, punching, kicking one another. They wore no helmets as their head butts made cracking sounds like 2 rocks hitting one another. Everyone kept a 5-meter distance from this group, even as it roamed its way around the deck. She thought to herself. "These brutes must be the Berserkers, they look so undisciplined. They are nothing more than animals". She continued to watch in wild disbelief. These were the ferocious warriors that were held so high? The Úlfhéðnar and Jöfurr had a sense of ferocity but still disciplined.

And these are the Blood Claws?

Nearby door opened up, from them came the behemoth that was Jarl Caldersson. He was accompanied by an even more incredible, but slightly smaller sight. A Custodes. She looked on with wonder at the Emperor's own bodyguard. Even though Jarl Caldersson presence alone would have demanded notice. He vanished near the Custode. The Custode carried himself like a noble among peasants. She whispered prayers to herself upon seeing such a sight, and could not look away. They approached the platform, Jarl Caldersson giving the right of way to the Custode. It all made sense now. The decorated Marines were the most respected and pinnacle of the Allfather Einherjar. They were the Huskarls, house guards of the chapter and only below the Jarls themselves. Caldersson then stepped on the platform and began battle plans. An empty area was near reserved for another.

This bit confuses me a little. Is the Custodes part of the chapter? or is it "honor guards" that look a lot like a Custodes?

Edited by Minigiant