Looking for craters

Valkyrion

GW used to do a moonscape, which fits the bill perfectly, and I've seen a few relatively inexpensive bits of 3d printing online, but they are very liney? layery? I'm not a perfectionist but it's enough to put me off - so any good (dare I say it) non GW products that fit the bill? 

In regards to 3D prints and layer lines, since craters are just dirt and debris, you could just use the 3D print for the shape an apply basing sands / textures over it, completely removing the issue.

Alternatively, are you into building them yourself? Here's a tutorial by Miniature Scenery

3d printing can be casting quality if resin, or if it's done on a cheaper FDM (usually PLA plastic) there will be some layer lines; from very visible to barely depending upon the nozzle size. They are smothable using sanding or acetone for a bit of effort. It's a trade-off between quality and price, so look at the pics carefully. And as grotsmasha says, you can conceal a lot with a bit of added texture and/or good primer.

I've bought Tiny Worlds cast resin scenery in the past, they're good quality. They do have craters.

Why not die your own in the oldschool way with cardboard and woodglue?

You could easily do a whole table for the price of buying a handfull.

Yes, 3d printing is cool and the new kid but for cheap craters seems expensive.

Why not die your own in the oldschool way with cardboard and woodglue?

You could easily do a whole table for the price of buying a handfull.

Yes, 3d printing is cool and the new kid but for cheap craters seems expensive.

Cost itself is one thing, time constraints another. But I agree, craters are super easy to do. :)

Once upon a time the go-to option for craters was a foil pie-case. Small Mr kipling type ones for the small blast craters or destroyed vehicles like land speeders/attack bikes etc or step up to the 4 portion steak and ale job for an exploded land raider. Added bonus being, you also got a pie to eat while making your terrain!

Way back in the day I made a load using sand mixed with PVA and a few small stones for variation. Sprayed then dry brushed they looked good and were virtually indestructible but they were pretty heavy (similar to the old metal dread iirc)

You can still get Amera's vaccuum molded craters, towards the bottom of this page - http://www.amera.co.uk/search.php?query=Crater

I bought the Battlefield Crater Set, it's decent (though it probably needs to be put on it's own base to give it additional support).

If you do make your own make sure you don't go overboard with how bumpy you make it - remember that models will need to balance on it! A perennial problem for crater terrain :sweat: Whenever I set up a table and use craters I stand back and admire the theme and aesthetics of the battlefield I've created... and then curse myself whenever I have to move infantry through them :biggrin.: