Got Lots of Models, Now I need to Build an Army

Montford

As I mentioned in Nusphigor’s thread I am starting my first heretic 40K army and I am making it Alpha Legion. I have played against CSMs: mostly Death Guard, but never before as CSMs :smile.: so I'm  just looking for some advice for a new CSM player.

This army is being started with second hand miniatures (all GW or FW- no 3rd party) and have kept the budget down so far per direction of the Wife :wink:  That explains the abundance of heavy weapons models!

I am going to list what I have.

What I could really use is some guidance about what might work for an Alpha Legion army with what I have. I can also use some direction on what Units to pick up to better hone the army.

Roster by model: (Mark III denotes a Horus Heresy space marine in Mark III armor which I will be using for Alpha Legion in 40K)

Chaos Space Marine Mark III w/ Boltguns 11
Chaos Space Marine   Unassembled 9
Chaos Space Marine   w/ Boltguns 6
Chaos Space Marine   Chainsword & Bolt Pistol 4
Chaos Space Marine   Plasma Gun 1

Chaos Marine Sergeant Mk III 1
Chaos Marine Sergeant  Unassembled 1
Chaos Marine Sergeant  Power Axe & Plasma Pistol 1
Havoc Mark III Missile Launcher 9
Havoc Mark III Lascannon 8
Havoc   Autocannon 1

Chaos Lord Unassembled 1
Terminator Chaos Lord  1
Terminator SGT Combi Melta 1
Terminator Combi Flamer 3
Terminator Heavy Flamer 1

Greater Possessed Unassembled 2

Obliterators Unassembled 2

Raptors Needs stripping 1

Venom Crawler Unassembled 1

Forgeworld Weapon Kits (Early variants):

Combi Melta 5
Combi Flamer 5
Combi Plasma 5
Lascannon 1
Plasma Cannon 1
Heavy Bolter 1
Multi Melta 1

What do you think works best for Alpha Legion with what I have? What Units or Characters/ HQs do you think would work best with what I've got?

Thanks in advance :smile.:

Edited by Montford

Alpha Legion Using Units Listed Above

HQ

• 1 Chaos Lord with jumppack and Shadeblade

• 1 Chaos Sorcerer in Terminator Armor, Hydra's Wail, Prescience, Warptime, Mark of Tzeench

TROOPS

• 10 Chaos Marines, 2 lascannons

• 10 Chaos Marines, Aspiring Champion with powerfist, 2 plasmaguns

• 10 Chaos Marines, Aspiring Champion with powerfist, 2 plasmaguns

ELITES

• 5 magnetized Chaos Terminators (twin lightning claws today, some other combo tomorrow)

• 2 Greater Possessed

• 10 Fallen, various meltaguns or plasmaguns

HEAVY SUPPORT

• 5 Havocs, 4 lascannons

• Venomcrawler

• 2 Oblits

Montgord, there are many lists you could develop these models into. And frankly any of the Chaos HQs could work with this list. This would run you 1,700 points and could work well in casual games.

You can gain early board control by plopping a plasma CSM Squad onto a midfield objective using "Forward Operatives." Your lascannon Havocs and CSM hold backfield objectives while everyone else rushes to the midfield. On Turn 2 you plug gaps in your line by deep-striking your Termie Sorcerer, Terminators, and Oblits. Also move infantry Squads like your CSM around as needed using "Renascent Infiltration."

You have about 300 points left over to add in other units. I'd focus on melee units like Daemon Engines, a Daemon Prince, Bezerkers, Warp Talons, Disco Lords, etc.

This is, of course, just one list. There are infinite others.

Good luck!

Montford, there are many lists you could develop these models into. And frankly any of the Chaos HQs could work with this list. This would run you 1,700 points and could work well in casual games.

You can gain early board control by plopping a plasma CSM Squad onto a midfield objective using "Forward Operatives." Your lascannon Havocs and CSM hold backfield objectives while everyone else rushes to the midfield. On Turn 2 you plug gaps in your line by deep-striking your Termie Sorcerer, Terminators, and Oblits. Also move infantry Squads like your CSM around as needed using "Renascent Infiltration."

You have about 300 points left over to add in other units. I'd focus on melee units like Daemon Engines, a Daemon Prince, Bezerkers, Warp Talons, Disco Lords, etc.

This is, of course, just one list. There are infinite others.

Good luck!

Thank you! This is the kind of direction I was looking for.

What would you consider a good melee unit in this Legion?

Question on Chosen:

If I read this correctly every Chosen may be equipped with a melee weapon in addition to his Boltgun and Bolt Pistol? Therefore, for example, each Chosen model may have a chainsword, boltgun and bolt pistol?

From what I can see in the Codex entry it looks like any Chosen can just take one weapon from the melee weapons list. Doesn't say they need to give up pistol or boltgun. Just wanted to verify I'd read that right. :)

post pics!!!

i'd love to see updates in your army mate, i'm still stuck so looking at other brother's armies is always nice :wink:

This is the paint scheme I am doing (not touched up yet to cover where I painted outside the lines)

Jim, the Chaos Space Marine

Jim

Edited by Montford

post pics!!!

i'd love to see updates in your army mate, i'm still stuck so looking at other brother's armies is always nice :wink:

This is the paint scheme I am doing (not touched up yet to cover where I painted outside the lines)

That's a cool Jim.

Which colours did you use?

post pics!!!

That's a cool Jim.

Which colours did you use?

I followed this 'How I Paint Things' tutorial from Sonic Sledgehammer Studios.

It went fairly quickly and came out looking pretty good. I also tried the greener option on another model but I prefer the bluer one, which is the one in the photo and the one he painted in the video. The only difference is, as my FLGS was out of McCragge Blue I used Ultramarine Blue from Army Painter.

The other main colors are:

-Sotek Green

-Skink Blue

-Drakenhof Nightshade