Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Cloudflare issues?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

Evil Eye

Evil Eye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,384 posts
  • Faction: Chaos and Tyranids.

I've been seeing this error pop up a lot when clicking on topics with no real pattern:

TqkFAS4.png

Any idea what's going on here? It usually goes away but it's a bit worrying...

• Oxydo likes this

ztbmByp.png

I come here to discuss and find out about Warhammer 40,000 with people of every ethnicity, sexuality, country and yes, as sickening as it is, even Eldar players.

I have an Instagram too, if you like that sort of thing!

(Formerly known as Squigsquasher)

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,982 posts
  • Faction: VIIth Legion

We're looking into it. There are some things going on in the background that might slow things down a bit every now and then, but these cloudflare problems don't appear to be related.

• walter h and Evil Eye like this

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_6764_14592.pnggallery_26_6764_3621.png

Dosjetka

Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 13,743 posts
I was getting 520's on the regular over a period of about a week earlier this month. Seems to have calmed down since. There also didn't seem to be a pattern in my case.
  • walter h likes this

gallery_45765_15430_13020.pnggallery_45765_15430_13241.pnggallery_45765_15430_20687.pnggallery_45765_15430_11578.pnggallery_45765_15430_1287.pnggallery_45765_15430_34763.pnggallery_45765_15430_18580.pnggallery_45765_15430_18989.png

Aqui

Aqui

++ ARQUUS PRAELIA ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 7,591 posts
  • Faction: Order of the Dauntless Spirit

Have had the 520 happen a number of times the last ten minutes or so. Resolves after pressing F5, but might be worth keeping an eye on.

In the darkness between the stars, the weak and the faithless find no deliverance. We are raised to believe that the God-Emperor watches over us all. And so we are charged to cleanse the mutant, the heretic and the alien. We must not falter. We are His sword. We are His wrath. Even in the face of death, we shall not submit. Suffering is our prayer. Faith is our armour. In Battle He offers us redemption. And for those who proves their worth, the Emperor sends sends forth His Angels!

Watch this space...

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,982 posts
None of the things that would typically slow the site down were happening at that time (as far as I know), so we definitely need to look into this.

For what it's worth, these are some of the things (admin actions) that affect site performance:
  • Site backup - This is done on a weekly basis, typically late Saturday or early Sunday my time. One backup is kept on the server, one is kept on my hard drive, and one is kept on an external drive. This takes about 30 or so minutes.
  • Deleting spambots - One of the first things I do each day is take care of validating members (members that have recently registered). Those members that are clearly bots are deleted. Email changes are approved. Those that clearly look legitimate are approved. The rest remain in a validating status for a few days before being deleted (hopefully those new members contact the admins so that we can approve them, the rest are assumed to be bots). Approval of new members outside of this early morning ritual takes place whenever those new members send emails (or when Kurgan the Lurker forwards their emails to me).
  • Mass unarchival of topics - As part of our forum cleanup, we are evaluating old topics that have been archived (automatic process that takes place 36 months after the last post). The archival process preserves such topics, but prevents further participation within (i.e., no replies can be posted). As part of our ongoing forum cleanup in preparation for the upgrade/migration, we are [slowly] evaluating old topics. Some are found to be worthy of retention and being unarchived so that members can continue to participate in them. At other times we receive requests from members to unarchive their old topics so that they can update them (you can do that). On rare occasions, we will unarchive a large quantity of such topics at the same time.
  • Mass deletion of old topics - As with unarchival above, but archived topics that are no longer relevant (e.g., army lists from previous editions) are deleted. This is a much more common occurrence, but depends upon when the admins have the time to do this work.
  • Mass movement of topics - As with the above, but we may be moving old topics from a forum that is scheduled for deletion into a forum that will be kept. This is another of those very rare occurrences.
  • Moving albums in the galleries - Most members (and this includes moderators and administrators) don't assign their albums into the appropriate categories, leaving them in the default "Miscellaneous" category. Every now and then (I try to do this daily, but it depends upon what other stuff I have going on) I go in and move one hundred or so into the appropriate categories. Other than slowing the site down this is transparent to you, but it helps people to find albums with relevant content.
  • Deleting/merging members - As part of our database cleanup, we've been going through the members. When our registration process was automated, many spambots made it through and were subsequently banned when they posted their spam. In addition, we've had multiple members, especially those that violated the forum rules enough to be banned, creating sockpuppet accounts, and those accounts were banned when we caught them. So lately I've been deleting the spambots and merging the sockpuppets in with their original accounts. Again, this is something that takes place on the infrequent occasions on which I have time. A few years ago I went through all of the old accounts that had zero posts and which had not logged on other than to register, deleting all of those accounts (there were several thousand of them). I'll probably repeat that task soon (I don't do this with any account that is less than 5 years old).
There are other actions that slow things down, but those are the most common ones that I perform. The other admins are also doing work in the background, especially as we move into the software upgrade and server migration (which will have a definite impact on site performance as that work is done, but we'll provide info on that when the time comes).

I wasn't performing any of those tasks at the time that Aqui describes and it doesn't look like the other admins were doing anything, either, so we'll have to look into what else may have been going on to cause these problems.

gallery_26_548_13550.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_548_4494.pnggallery_26_6416_0.gifgallery_26_6764_14592.pnggallery_26_6764_3621.png

Dark Legionnare

Dark Legionnare

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 470 posts

FYI lads, I'm getting tons of certificate errors from the site on anything HTTPS related.  Seems like this may be part of your problem.

A lot of page elements in my more secure testing browser (doesn't allow any HTTP, only HTTPS) get absolutely annihilated; pictured below. Never had this issue in said browser before today.

Not knowing the B&C backend, I'm assuming this cert reason is likely the culprit here too.

xJkbnvJ.png

9th Ed. "Star Phantoms" (SM, Primaris Units Only) - Record: W|1 D|0 L|0

9th Ed. "The Inexorable Demise" (DG) - Record: W|5 D|0 L|0
9th Ed. "The Dark Legion" (DKoK) - Record: W|2 D|0 L|0

9th Ed. "Adeptus Custodes" - Record: W|1 D|0 L|0
9th Ed. "Orkz" (Warboss Metul-'ead's Waaagh!) - Record: W|2 D|0 L|1

9th Ed. "Vlka Fenryka" (SM) - Record: W|3 D|0 L|0
9th Ed. "Crimson Fists" (SM, First-born Only) - Record: W|2 D|0 L|0

9th Ed. "Farsight Forward Scouting Force" (Farsight Enclaves, Tau) - Record: W|1 D|1 L|1

9th Ed. "Luna Wolves" - Record: W|1 D|0 L|1 (WIP, force mustering)  

30k.     "Luna Wolves" - Record: W|2 D|0 L|0 (WIP, force mustering)

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,118 posts

FYI lads, I'm getting tons of certificate errors from the site on anything HTTPS related.  Seems like this may be part of your problem.

A lot of page elements in my more secure testing browser (doesn't allow any HTTP, only HTTPS) get absolutely annihilated; pictured below. Never had this issue in said browser before today.

Not knowing the B&C backend, I'm assuming this cert reason is likely the culprit here too.

[image snipped]

That's probably because B&C isn't on an HTTPS certificate, but an HTTP? I'm using Firefox and after one update it automatically put B&C to HTTPS which broke everything. However I manually turned off the "secure connection" feature and it all worked again so....

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 22,982 posts
The http/https issue will be resolved with the software upgrade/server migration.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users