Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

League, early point lists

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Galron

Galron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,204 posts
  • Faction: Necrons

Ni Hao! Greetings from the Jade Dynasty. I feel like its time to raise my legions from their sleep and go cause hunting for new riches amongst the younger races again. I am part of an escalation league and am thinking of going in a different direction than your typical terminator warrior spam. I am looking at something faster. Last week was my first low point game of 9th and I used Emperors Children vs Death Guard and in both games(one league and one for fun) and I was pretty much wiped turn 2 with cleanup on turn 3 and he only used 350 of his points. The power difference between old dexes and new dexes was just impossible to overcome at 500 points so the org is allowing me to switch up. So I think I have decided to go with a concept I was working on a while back, a very fast glass hammer style army although its a little less glassy than my EC.

500p Mephrit outrider

Technomancer cloak, voltaic staff, enduring will

6 tombblades with shield vanes and particle beamers

3 or 4 scarabs

Idea here is to be able to cruise around the small board(wow 500 point boards are tiny) bringing 72 s6 shots and a few mortal wounds. Scarabs do the objective thing while the cryptek moves forward to reanimate blade models. He was the cheapest leader I could get that could actually contribute. I am considering the Veil instead of the staff so he can bounce out last minute and take an objective. Probably be more advantageous.

750p Mephrit outrider

Technomancer cloak, voltaic staff, enduring will

3  scarabs

3 Wraiths

Tesseract Ark

I wanted to continue with my speed concept and added the wraiths and a tanky AT vehicle. This one is still 2 weeks off so I have time to change it. I know I do not have objective secured but feel the fire power I do have should be able to clear the small numbers of troops present. Here is where things are really up to debate.

Yes, I am here all the time because this is the last 40k forum I can access from work. You would think they wanted me to do work or something....

Lord Raven 19

Lord Raven 19

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 574 posts

RAW, in a combat patrol (500-999pt) game, each player may only use a single patrol detatchment. This requires a troops unit. If the organisers and your opponents are fine with what you are doing, ignore this, but I think it would be wise to check with them if you haven't already that running a different detacent is fine.

Lord Raven19

Lord of Deliverence; Scion of Albion; Baron of Camelot; Champion of Mortarion; Lord under Abaddon; Emissary of Szarekh.

Victorus aut Mortis

Galron

Galron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,204 posts

I have not seen this nor has it been mentioned in the league rules. The only rule I can see is that its 500 points this week and then 750 for the next 2. Must be battleforged, FW allowed, legends not allowed and no 100% 3D printed models. I have changed my 750 plan though so coincidently it will fit a combat patrol.

Both tomb blades, technomancer, royal warden and 20 reaper warriors.

The warriors act as a big regenerating distraction carnifex up the middle of the table while the blades drop 72 shots a round hopefully deleting a unit a turn and kiting close combat.

If there is a force selection big book rule I am missing that limits detachments like this then I can simply run a patrol with

technomancer and cloak + veil

5 immortals

6 tomblades w/ particle casters and shield vanes

6 tomblades w/ particle casters + 5 shield vanes and make the unshielded one the last to go or the first, I havent gamed it to see which would be more efficient. 

Edited by Galron, 13 September 2021 - 05:22 PM.

Yes, I am here all the time because this is the last 40k forum I can access from work. You would think they wanted me to do work or something....

Galron

Galron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,204 posts

PLayed my second 500 point game using the patrol version of this list. Annihilated a grey knights list 57-19. He mostly had foot sloggers and a couple termies and I was able to move where I needed and single out squads and wipe them using Solar pulse every turn since he took tide of shadows. His dice didnt help him though. Aside from mostly negating my Talent for Annihilations with his agis, he couldnt make armor saves despite usually needing 1s to fail. I played it very much a float like a butterfly sting like a bee kiting out of his charge range taking advantage of the mephrit range extension on the particle casters.

I think aside from not having a very maneuverable force, he didnt play it bad. Having -1 to hit my main guys didnt help and he only had a single S7 weapon so all of his guns were wounding on 5s the whole game. His most effective offense was his librarian's vortex of doom or something like that that hit one of my tomb blade squads for 4 mortals and the technomancer for 1 which he living metaled the next turn. You cant beat your own dice though and he managed to double 6 twice and lost 2w on his libby to that. The Aegis'd my inflicted mortals from talent 95% of the time, but then rolled 5 1s on armor saves. His terminators were just as bad at saving and just took one turn of dedicated firing from a squad of blades and the immortals to take them down.

My opponent took it in stride and was a great sport about it and we talked college football on the way out the door. Grey Knights have a bunch of casting options(duh) but they also take a lot of box cars and snake eyes. I saw three in just the little 500 point game, one of which killed a strike squad dude, another did a wound to a terminator as he was purifying an objective. They have the potential to be tough, but not on the level of Death Guard. I was enjoying actually seeing normal wounds and damage go through for once.

Edited by Galron, 15 September 2021 - 01:12 PM.

• Miek likes this

Galron

Galron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,204 posts
I played my first 750 point game and on these board sizes, not getting the first turn decided the game. My opponent was a highly competitive nid player with a swarmlord all buffed up, a large genestealer squad, a bigger devourer gaunt squad, 3 rippers, and one of those big tunneling bugs that he didnt tunnel. So he deployed forward with the GS and swarm lord and had th gaunts, tunnel bug and rippers placed to get objectives. I was in the back of y deployment zone as far in the corner as I could get. Didnt help. He had first turn and double moved his GS 22" and charged my 20 warrior screen.I overwatched with 38 shots and killed 1. He charged fought twice and killed the 20 warriors. I had both characters and a blade squad open up on the GS and kill all but two since he had catalyst on them. Next turn he charged the blades with the two remaining GS who I OW and killed and the Swarmlord. He killed two + a wound, and I brought one back with techno and I RPd the other one. I fired with everything and he went down to two wounds. Other blade squad wiped the gaunts after coming in from reserves. The blades near the swarm charged to prevent him from heroic intervention. My thought process was to defend the characters and their better shooting, especially after my blades success the prior round in hand to hand.They wiffed and he killed two. He regened 2 wounds. His tunnel bug moved 9 inches and rolled 9 for charging and had no problem getting into the other blades killing two. Swarm lord smited 1 and then knocked the rest down in close combat. By the end of the game I had 3 blades left and managed to shoot down the tunnel bug but it was just a moral victory. He won 81 to 40. In retrospect I should have started both blades in the rear line with the warriors more forward as a screen. I would have given me 72 concentrated shots to chip away from the damn swarmlord. The game lasted about 3 hours lol

InKaras

InKaras

++AQUILA CÆRULEUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,319 posts

You should not be able to move 22" in a single turn without a transport and even then...

Also sounds like you had some bad luck. 38 shots, 1 kill is pretty bad rolling. But that is RNG for you.

It also sounds like a pretty good learning experience, so there is that to take away from it.

April 14th / 2010 A New Kidney for me, yeay!

dice4thedicegod

dice4thedicegod

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,055 posts
Genestealer blobs are nasty. They can move twice (with hq support), chuck out 5 attacks each… only time I’ve played them I was unprepared file their huge threat range (easily 30 or 40 inches) and ate a turn 1 charge from a unit of 15 that had 75 attacks at 2+ , rerolling 1’s. They just detonated my warrior blob and put me on the back foot.

Taught me the necessity of having some scarabs for screening!

Galron

Galron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,204 posts

You forgot they can also attack twice too and every 6 to wound is a -4ap.

beware flyrants. They can get boosted with the double move too. 32 inch before charging.

Galron

Galron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,204 posts

I was corrected hive tyrants 36" without advancing.

PLayed my league game today. Last night I decided to try something more odd. I went with 1 technomancer with voltaic staff/enduring will + the cloak. 5 and 6 man tomb blades with particle casters and shield vanes, 3 locust destroyers, 5 immortals, and an Annihilation Barge. Like I said, an odd list. My opponent was necrons as well, 10 warriors, 2 scarab swarms, a triarch stalker,a spider, a CCB, and a canoptek stalker. I deployed with my immortals on an objective in center behind ruins, tomb blades in each corner, locusts on the left and barge near blades in the other corner.

He deployed across the field and got first turn. His warriors and scarabs all moved up to the center objectives. Aside from his canoptek stalker, the rest of his force moved forward to support them and do fire support. And the fire support... I made every armor save except two immortals who both simply stood back up. On my turn 1 I moved some things around. On the blade destroyer side I pushed forward and on the other corner they moved to the middleI dropped the spider down to 1 wound with my destroyers and everyone else killed all the scarabs.

His T2 had his warriors searching for treasure and his spider advancing to the center. His shooting killed a destroyer side Blade and put a wound on the barge. My T2 moved the barge and 5 man blades back into their corner where I solar pulsed since they were in hard cover and Blades permakilled two and the barge permakilled the other 8. I also finished off the spider and dropped the canoptek stalker to 5 wounds. My army objective was complete, kill the scoring units, now for cleanup.

His turn 3 had his CCB move up to 1" from the immortals. He then fired the barge and the preatorian stalker at my barge killing it and I lost a two destroyers to his C-Stalker, but RP'd one back. He assaulted my immortals killing 1 and they did a wound back for what it mattered. On my turn I brought my dead Blade back from my canoptek, left my immortals in combat because I forgot vehicles could now shoot in combat. My destroyers took out the C-Stalker and both Blade squads poured fire on the Praetorian stalker dropping it to 1 wound.

His turn 4 had his CCB shoot into close combat killing another 1. His stalker moved around LOS blocking terrain and tried to shoot my cryptek and failed. He got a charge off and got one hit through which was reduced to 2D which on my turn healed by 1. Speaking of my turn, I moved my immortals out of combat, I Talent for Annihilation'd his stalker and did exactly enough damage to kill it. My tomb blades opened up on the CCB and both dropped it to 1 wound.

His T5 had him try to shoot a tomb blade squad off an object and actually killed two, he then charged my Immortals and killed 1. My turn was easy, everything opened fire on his CCB and killed it.

It ended up 67 to 35. He will bend the knee to the Silent King, just waking up in a swamp is no excuse.  My rolls especially that first turn were lucky and once I eliminated his scoring units it was over for him. Plan worked. Now to figure out what to bring for 1k points.

Edited by Galron, 25 September 2021 - 10:00 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users