Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

League, early point lists

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

Galron

Galron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,208 posts
  • Faction: Necrons

Ni Hao! Greetings from the Jade Dynasty. I feel like its time to raise my legions from their sleep and go cause hunting for new riches amongst the younger races again. I am part of an escalation league and am thinking of going in a different direction than your typical terminator warrior spam. I am looking at something faster. Last week was my first low point game of 9th and I used Emperors Children vs Death Guard and in both games(one league and one for fun) and I was pretty much wiped turn 2 with cleanup on turn 3 and he only used 350 of his points. The power difference between old dexes and new dexes was just impossible to overcome at 500 points so the org is allowing me to switch up. So I think I have decided to go with a concept I was working on a while back, a very fast glass hammer style army although its a little less glassy than my EC.

500p Mephrit outrider

Technomancer cloak, voltaic staff, enduring will

6 tombblades with shield vanes and particle beamers

3 or 4 scarabs

Idea here is to be able to cruise around the small board(wow 500 point boards are tiny) bringing 72 s6 shots and a few mortal wounds. Scarabs do the objective thing while the cryptek moves forward to reanimate blade models. He was the cheapest leader I could get that could actually contribute. I am considering the Veil instead of the staff so he can bounce out last minute and take an objective. Probably be more advantageous.

750p Mephrit outrider

Technomancer cloak, voltaic staff, enduring will

3  scarabs

3 Wraiths

Tesseract Ark

I wanted to continue with my speed concept and added the wraiths and a tanky AT vehicle. This one is still 2 weeks off so I have time to change it. I know I do not have objective secured but feel the fire power I do have should be able to clear the small numbers of troops present. Here is where things are really up to debate.

Yes, I am here all the time because this is the last 40k forum I can access from work. You would think they wanted me to do work or something....

Lord Raven 19

Lord Raven 19

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 580 posts

RAW, in a combat patrol (500-999pt) game, each player may only use a single patrol detatchment. This requires a troops unit. If the organisers and your opponents are fine with what you are doing, ignore this, but I think it would be wise to check with them if you haven't already that running a different detacent is fine.

Lord Raven19

Lord of Deliverence; Scion of Albion; Baron of Camelot; Champion of Mortarion; Lord under Abaddon; Emissary of Szarekh.

Victorus aut Mortis

Galron

Galron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,208 posts

I have not seen this nor has it been mentioned in the league rules. The only rule I can see is that its 500 points this week and then 750 for the next 2. Must be battleforged, FW allowed, legends not allowed and no 100% 3D printed models. I have changed my 750 plan though so coincidently it will fit a combat patrol.

Both tomb blades, technomancer, royal warden and 20 reaper warriors.

The warriors act as a big regenerating distraction carnifex up the middle of the table while the blades drop 72 shots a round hopefully deleting a unit a turn and kiting close combat.

If there is a force selection big book rule I am missing that limits detachments like this then I can simply run a patrol with

technomancer and cloak + veil

5 immortals

6 tomblades w/ particle casters and shield vanes

6 tomblades w/ particle casters + 5 shield vanes and make the unshielded one the last to go or the first, I havent gamed it to see which would be more efficient. 

Edited by Galron, 13 September 2021 - 05:22 PM.

Yes, I am here all the time because this is the last 40k forum I can access from work. You would think they wanted me to do work or something....

Galron

Galron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,208 posts

PLayed my second 500 point game using the patrol version of this list. Annihilated a grey knights list 57-19. He mostly had foot sloggers and a couple termies and I was able to move where I needed and single out squads and wipe them using Solar pulse every turn since he took tide of shadows. His dice didnt help him though. Aside from mostly negating my Talent for Annihilations with his agis, he couldnt make armor saves despite usually needing 1s to fail. I played it very much a float like a butterfly sting like a bee kiting out of his charge range taking advantage of the mephrit range extension on the particle casters.

I think aside from not having a very maneuverable force, he didnt play it bad. Having -1 to hit my main guys didnt help and he only had a single S7 weapon so all of his guns were wounding on 5s the whole game. His most effective offense was his librarian's vortex of doom or something like that that hit one of my tomb blade squads for 4 mortals and the technomancer for 1 which he living metaled the next turn. You cant beat your own dice though and he managed to double 6 twice and lost 2w on his libby to that. The Aegis'd my inflicted mortals from talent 95% of the time, but then rolled 5 1s on armor saves. His terminators were just as bad at saving and just took one turn of dedicated firing from a squad of blades and the immortals to take them down.

My opponent took it in stride and was a great sport about it and we talked college football on the way out the door. Grey Knights have a bunch of casting options(duh) but they also take a lot of box cars and snake eyes. I saw three in just the little 500 point game, one of which killed a strike squad dude, another did a wound to a terminator as he was purifying an objective. They have the potential to be tough, but not on the level of Death Guard. I was enjoying actually seeing normal wounds and damage go through for once.

Edited by Galron, 15 September 2021 - 01:12 PM.

• Spyros and Miek like this

Galron

Galron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,208 posts
I played my first 750 point game and on these board sizes, not getting the first turn decided the game. My opponent was a highly competitive nid player with a swarmlord all buffed up, a large genestealer squad, a bigger devourer gaunt squad, 3 rippers, and one of those big tunneling bugs that he didnt tunnel. So he deployed forward with the GS and swarm lord and had th gaunts, tunnel bug and rippers placed to get objectives. I was in the back of y deployment zone as far in the corner as I could get. Didnt help. He had first turn and double moved his GS 22" and charged my 20 warrior screen.I overwatched with 38 shots and killed 1. He charged fought twice and killed the 20 warriors. I had both characters and a blade squad open up on the GS and kill all but two since he had catalyst on them. Next turn he charged the blades with the two remaining GS who I OW and killed and the Swarmlord. He killed two + a wound, and I brought one back with techno and I RPd the other one. I fired with everything and he went down to two wounds. Other blade squad wiped the gaunts after coming in from reserves. The blades near the swarm charged to prevent him from heroic intervention. My thought process was to defend the characters and their better shooting, especially after my blades success the prior round in hand to hand.They wiffed and he killed two. He regened 2 wounds. His tunnel bug moved 9 inches and rolled 9 for charging and had no problem getting into the other blades killing two. Swarm lord smited 1 and then knocked the rest down in close combat. By the end of the game I had 3 blades left and managed to shoot down the tunnel bug but it was just a moral victory. He won 81 to 40. In retrospect I should have started both blades in the rear line with the warriors more forward as a screen. I would have given me 72 concentrated shots to chip away from the damn swarmlord. The game lasted about 3 hours lol
  • Spyros likes this

InKaras

InKaras

++AQUILA CÆRULEUS++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 6,355 posts

You should not be able to move 22" in a single turn without a transport and even then...

Also sounds like you had some bad luck. 38 shots, 1 kill is pretty bad rolling. But that is RNG for you.

It also sounds like a pretty good learning experience, so there is that to take away from it.

April 14th / 2010 A New Kidney for me, yeay!

dice4thedicegod

dice4thedicegod

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,079 posts
Genestealer blobs are nasty. They can move twice (with hq support), chuck out 5 attacks each… only time I’ve played them I was unprepared file their huge threat range (easily 30 or 40 inches) and ate a turn 1 charge from a unit of 15 that had 75 attacks at 2+ , rerolling 1’s. They just detonated my warrior blob and put me on the back foot.

Taught me the necessity of having some scarabs for screening!

Galron

Galron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,208 posts

You forgot they can also attack twice too and every 6 to wound is a -4ap.

beware flyrants. They can get boosted with the double move too. 32 inch before charging.

Galron

Galron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,208 posts

I was corrected hive tyrants 36" without advancing.

PLayed my league game today. Last night I decided to try something more odd. I went with 1 technomancer with voltaic staff/enduring will + the cloak. 5 and 6 man tomb blades with particle casters and shield vanes, 3 locust destroyers, 5 immortals, and an Annihilation Barge. Like I said, an odd list. My opponent was necrons as well, 10 warriors, 2 scarab swarms, a triarch stalker,a spider, a CCB, and a canoptek stalker. I deployed with my immortals on an objective in center behind ruins, tomb blades in each corner, locusts on the left and barge near blades in the other corner.

He deployed across the field and got first turn. His warriors and scarabs all moved up to the center objectives. Aside from his canoptek stalker, the rest of his force moved forward to support them and do fire support. And the fire support... I made every armor save except two immortals who both simply stood back up. On my turn 1 I moved some things around. On the blade destroyer side I pushed forward and on the other corner they moved to the middleI dropped the spider down to 1 wound with my destroyers and everyone else killed all the scarabs.

His T2 had his warriors searching for treasure and his spider advancing to the center. His shooting killed a destroyer side Blade and put a wound on the barge. My T2 moved the barge and 5 man blades back into their corner where I solar pulsed since they were in hard cover and Blades permakilled two and the barge permakilled the other 8. I also finished off the spider and dropped the canoptek stalker to 5 wounds. My army objective was complete, kill the scoring units, now for cleanup.

His turn 3 had his CCB move up to 1" from the immortals. He then fired the barge and the preatorian stalker at my barge killing it and I lost a two destroyers to his C-Stalker, but RP'd one back. He assaulted my immortals killing 1 and they did a wound back for what it mattered. On my turn I brought my dead Blade back from my canoptek, left my immortals in combat because I forgot vehicles could now shoot in combat. My destroyers took out the C-Stalker and both Blade squads poured fire on the Praetorian stalker dropping it to 1 wound.

His turn 4 had his CCB shoot into close combat killing another 1. His stalker moved around LOS blocking terrain and tried to shoot my cryptek and failed. He got a charge off and got one hit through which was reduced to 2D which on my turn healed by 1. Speaking of my turn, I moved my immortals out of combat, I Talent for Annihilation'd his stalker and did exactly enough damage to kill it. My tomb blades opened up on the CCB and both dropped it to 1 wound.

His T5 had him try to shoot a tomb blade squad off an object and actually killed two, he then charged my Immortals and killed 1. My turn was easy, everything opened fire on his CCB and killed it.

It ended up 67(+10) to 35(+10). He will bend the knee to the Silent King, just waking up in a swamp is no excuse.  My rolls especially that first turn were lucky and once I eliminated his scoring units it was over for him. Plan worked. Now to figure out what to bring for 1k points.

In trying to come up with what to bring for 1k points now that we have a slightly bigger board size as well.

Mephrit Outrider 1k

Technomancer with voltaic staff, enduring will

immortals x5

Canoptek Sentinel(exile cannon centipede) 

4 scarab swarms

6man tomb blades with vanes and particle beamers

6 man tomb Blades with vanes and particle beamers

Canoptek doomstalker

Tesseract Ark two particle beamers.

I expect to see more vehicles hitting the table. I debated losing the technomancer for a CCB and still debate which is preferred. Most likely this will be my question until the day of. No clue who my opponent will be, I havent once faced standard marines although there are 5 in the league. I think it gives me the speed to outmanuever anyone but DA and Drukari but as far as I know, neither of them are present in the league.

Edited by Galron, 27 September 2021 - 03:33 PM.

• Spyros likes this

Galron

Galron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,208 posts

The Celestial Phaeron sent Technomancer N'toth to lead a spoiler force to take a buffer territory to possibly open up another avenue of advance in the future. A force of Blood Angels had the same idea and they met in the area around a ruined manufactorum. The goal was to take the territory with minimum casualties since this was a side advance and not the main push.

Technomancer N'toth- Enduring Will, canoptek cloak, Voltaic Staff.

2 6 man Blade squads with Vanes and particle castors 1 Immortal squad 5 man 4 scarabs

1 Tesseract Ark

1 Canoptek Stalker

1 Canoptek Tombstalker(exile cannon centipede)

He had Chaplain on bike with the WL trait granting a 5+++, armor indominatus.

Techmarine with I dont know what but he had a trait

1 6 Assault Intercessor Squad

1 6 man Sanguinary Guard

2 Redemptors with plasma and onslaught cannons

3 man flying guys with the 18" heavy bolters in each arm.

We are still playing on the small postage stamp boards so swarming a flank really doesnt mean much since we deployed on the short edges.

T1: He won first turn, moved everything up to the center building ruins on his side of the board. His Redeptors tried to shoot my Tesseract Ark and did a single wound. My T1 had both blades moving up to the side objectives in the center. I followed the right flank blades with my scarabs. My shooting had the left blades open up on his sanguinary guard killing three. On the other side I had just a peek at the chaplain's front tire. I was dumb and solar pulsed(forgetting he had a 2+ anyway.) So I talent for Annihilationed my Blades and inflicted the three mortal wounds and did enough damage that he rolled 5 ones on armor saves and failed every feel no pain. Boom, there went his lynchpin character. Stalker and Ark opened fire in the first redemptor and knocked it down to 4 wounds.

T2: He moved his sang guard out towards the left blades, moved his redemptors up along with his techmarine who healed 1 wound. He popped the machine spirit strat on the bracketted dread and opened fire on the blades and the ark again. He killed two blades and dropped the ark to 5 wounds. He charged the blades with his 3 remaining sang guard who overwatched killing one of them. Their attacks killed 1 more blade. My T2 had the blades retreat toward the back center. The tecnomancer moved within 6" of them. The Immortals had a shot and rapid fired the Sang Guard and them and the Technomancer killed them both. On the other side the full blade squad moved up to get the intercessors into sight. The tombstalker deep struck right into the center of the board. 9" from the damaged redemptor. He fired and dropped it to 1 wound and the ark finished it off. It exploded doing 3 mortal wounds to the tech marine and other dread but only one to the intercessors. The tombblades on the intercessors killed 3. The stalker did 5 damage to the remaining dread.

T3: He moved up further with his dread, moved his intercessors out to fight the tomb blades and dropped his jump pack-cessors in the back corner. He failed to damage the ark again, did one damage to the tombstalker, killed three tomblades with the jumper dudes(I made a single armor save)but RPd one back. He charged with his assault intercessors and I overwatched and killed 1. He did no damage in the assault. I killed an intercessor somehow. Surprisingly he didnt charge with his redemptor. My T3 the ark and tombstalker killed the redemptor. The four man tomblades took the left objective again and blew away the techmarine. The scarabs moved up to the lone intercessor after those blades vacated the fight. The C-Stalker fired long range and killed 2 of the jump-cessers and didn one wound on the third. Scarabs killed the lone intercessor. Next turn my stalker killed the lone guy.

I ended up with 75 primary, maxed Purge, maxed Take No prisoners, and dumbly got 4 points on bring it down. Still working on learning appropriate secondaries. My highest point total this league so far.

Post Edit: Since I am still getting use to the point system I had mis-calculated my points. I maxed primary, two secondaries and scored 4 points on a secondary I shouldnt have chosen plus had everything painted bringing me 89 points (I think).

This coming week, I am going to sub out the canoptek stalker, a blade, and a scarab and bring 3 heavy destroyers and see how they do. Other than that, no changes to the list. No clue who I am playing bur there are at least 4 more marines and a sisters army I havent faced yet.

Edited by Galron, 08 October 2021 - 12:49 PM.

• Spyros likes this

Galron

Galron

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,208 posts

Due to his continuing success, Cryptek N'toth was sent on a high priority mission to take some key terrain. With his Canoptek Stalker down for maintenance he convinced three Heavy Destroyers that there would be living targets to destroy. They approached the target area and sensors began screaming about corrosive bacteria that could damage even their metal bodies. As soon as he read the scanner, large caliber rounds began impacting.

So I played against a Death Guard force for the second of the 1k points games. Actually the wife of the guy I played last week. I let him coach her a bit and I gave her ideas on what to do as well. Unfortunately you canot beat bad dice. She fired 14 shots one time and only needed a 4+ to hit due to modifiers. She hit with 2. This was her game. I deployed across the short edge with most of the prior list. Had to drop a blade and scarab plus the stalker to field 3 heavy destroyers I finished recently. My typical set up with a blade squad on each side, destroyers in the center, scarabs on the home objective, immortals on the opposite side. She had 10 pox walkers, 3 characters including the warlord in terminator armor, a blight hauler, a plagueburst crawler, 6 plague marines, and 5 terminators. The hauler and plagueburster where in each corner, pox walkers and one character on his home objective, plague marines on the line with another character and the lord and termies in deep strike.

T1: She went first and moved a few units forward. Her shooting was totally ineffective. I lost a single blade to the plague burster who then simply RP'd back. MyT1: I zoomed the blades up and unleashed hell. The poxwalkers were destroyed and the plague marines were knocked down to 1 guy who failed his leadership and ran at the end of the turn. The Destroyers dropped the blighthauler to 1 wound and the ark nuked the crawler down to 5 wounds. My mistake was I had my scarabs sitting on the home field objective to do Awaken Machines. Next turn I discovered home objectives dont count.

T2: She brought in her terminators close to the blades on the hill with one of the two mid-field objectives. She fired some more and actually killed three blades, one RPing behind the line. Also removed myself from her charge range. My T2: I mistakenly left my now 3 man blades on the hill objective and tried to move my cryptek up so he could start rebuilding them. So yeah, I discovered the scarabs couldnt do the machines secondary so I moved my immortals to the other midfield and they performed it for the rest of the game. Bigger blade squad moved up to get his terms in range but stayed at 18". Destroyers mover forward as well. Canoptek Tombstalker popped up in the middle with the Plagueburst crawler in range. My shooting this round was ok but not great. I killed the hauler and the character sitting on her objective and one terminator. I did 2 damage to her crawler.

T3: Her lord popped in behind her terminators. Here was where she fell apart. Her terminators fired 14 combi-bolter shots and 1 melta and hit with 2. She smited one earlier. Either way, they survived the two bolter shots. She then fired the crawlers super meltas and heavy stubbers and the mortar at the tombstalker and wiffed. The super meltas both hit and each killed a blade making her the first opponent this league to kill a Blade squad, so at least she had that. My T3 My blades moved up to the hilltop objective and talent for annihilation'd and fired point blank on the terminators killing all but one and dropping him to 1 wound. Destroyers killed the crawler. The Ark went for herlord and wiffed as did the cryptek.

T4: She cast smite and curse of the leper, I gloom prismed the smite and she did no wounds to the blades with leper. Her shooting was totally ineffective. She charged with the terminator at the blades who overwatched and talent for annihilationed getting the 1 mortal I needed. My T4: I cleared the board.

Game ended 91 to 24 including both painted army scores. Next week we start 1250 games. I have heard there are at least two players dropping Mortarion so I will be bringing a Nightbringer.

Tentatively my list against Tier 1 army lists:

Cryptek with enduring will and voltaic staff

2x Immortals 5man

NightBringer

6 blades with vanes and particle beamers

5 blades with vanes and particle beamers(I had 12 extra points so I tossed in 2 5++s)

Canoptek Stalker

Tesseract Ark with particle beamers

Alternatively, if my next game isnt against a Tier 1 army list I will bring. This shouldnt blow another newb out of the water like my 1k point lists did and lets me try out some stuff that I dont always get a chance to.

Same Technomancer

1  six man Immortal Squad

2 5 man Flayed Ones

1 6 man wraith squad

1 5 and one 6 man Tomb Blade squads with shield vane and partilcle beamers

1 10 man Praetorian Squad

1 Tesseract Ark with particle beamers

Edited by Galron, 13 October 2021 - 01:11 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users