Alternative Daemon Prince

dbrollsdice

I don’t know if you have seen, and it is not third party, but this guy is going on preorders this week, and quite a few people (myself included) have been considering him as a suitable model for a Daemon Prince. He is on a 40mm base in that picture I think, but given his bulk should still be fine on a 60mm.

dfs7mRCzb7vJcDKm.jpg

Daemon Princes can look like anything.

The plastic Daemon Prince sits at the unfortunate end of the Kit quality/Model quality spectrum. Its a modular kit designed for creating your own custom figure and therefore the 'Eavy Metal painted ones don't really do it justice as they just show what is possible strait out of the box. The previous Death Guard codex had a much better example of what you can do with that kit and parts from outside of it and a google search for daemon prince conversions will show some much nicer models than you might think that lackluster kit could produce. Going almost completely outside of that kit might actually be in the spirit of the kit, in a certain sense. One could just put the extra sized Shoulder pads and backpack vents from the plastic prince on just about any monster from any range and get something that most players will be able to guess is a daemon prince on sight. If you want a centauride or serpentine Prince then with a headswap and some new wings the plastic prince is actually quite a good source for the torso of such a conversion.

For example this old thread that turned up on google has a very different use of the plastic prince

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/265057-deathguard-force/

This recent Warhammer Community article is a good example of how just about any model you like can be a Daemon Prince.

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2021/07/30/what-do-you-get-if-you-cross-a-phoenix-with-a-sorcerer-this-stunning-thousand-sons-army/

As does this older one showing Death Guard sculptor Sculptor Maxime Pastourel's conversions (which also shows that even the Lord of Skulls kit can look awesome if you try).

https://www.warhammer-community.com/2017/06/22/army-showcase-maxime-pastourels-plague-marines-june22gw-homepage-post-4/

Forge World also have a bunch of Daemon Princes.

I don't think there's a model one can recommend NOT using as a Daemon Prince so its hard to make suggestions without more information about what you're going for. I've seen these guys just used almost strait up as Nurgle Princes with just the glaive blade rotated a bit to be a scythe. This AoS mount could make quite a cool prince with some work.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

A quick google search brings up many alterative models for some including some themed for specific gods. What is about the current model that does not float your boat? What are you looking for in a DP?

https://www.google.com/search?q=alternative+daemon+prince&rlz=1C1CHBF_en-GBGB878GB878&sxsrf=AOaemvL4530UBG2_GQDFRMdUasDg2JWQ8w:1631128016021&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwi9gemvifDyAhUQO8AKHSOSAfAQ_AUoAXoECAEQAw&biw=1920&bih=969#imgrc=kdJr-FbzICuN8M

Are wings necessary for flight (fly keyword) ?

I don't think so. In the death guard 8th edition codex under Daemon Prince fluff it says "Some Daemon Princes can even fly, enormous insect wings or spiralling vortices of noxious fumes carrying them across the battlefield".

Edited by Putrid Choir

I don't think so. In the death guard 8th edition codex under Daemon Prince fluff it says "Some Daemon Princes can even fly, enormous insect wings or spiralling vortices of noxious fumes carrying them across the battlefield".

Apparently Deathguard get warpfarts too,not just exalted sorcerers.

I think they put that fluff comment in the 8th edition DG codex because the nurgle Daemon Prince model doesn't come with wings. Also now in the new 9th edition codex, if a DG Daemon Prince takes the plague spewer (a weapon mounted only on the nurgle Daemon Prince's left Talon) he can't have wings. I say just have two Daemon Princes, one with wings one without! I actually like the GW Daemon Princes. A simple conversion like adding a defiler mask makes them look much less cartoony and more menacing. Here are my two DP's, not the best picture taker.

gallery_162425_15929_645680.jpg

gallery_66914_8104_50383.jpg

A bit of green stuff and some tubing can go a long way here ;)

Kinda depends on what legion/renegade you are going for. Want something a bit more fleshy? Probably start with a base out of one of the AOS models or the classic DP models we have now. Want something more mechanical? Try the dreadknight or helbrutes as a base.

It's..well...chaos. So have fun with it. Long as things are WYSIWYG and on the right base no one should really have an issue with it.