Argel Tal 30k Rules download

You guys know there's more to an HQ choice than being a Paragon blade guy and fighting in challenges right? Sigismund might be lethal in a challenge, but...you just decline it. All these Paragon wielding praetors are just less efficient melee choices than powerfist terminators at the end of the day; who cares if he can't blend elite units if he has master of the legion, buffs himself and a variety of units and unlocks troops for gal vorbak?

You'd get an aneurysm if you had seen the discussion about Argel on discord in no time. :)

I think he is very cool. Gal Vorbak as troops and he buffs an Assault Squad blending lesser troops left and right.

I think it's just I play a different 30k than a lot of the guys on these larger groups. They like to get together with a bunch of friends and have big games where their centerpiece models do cool stuff, but because points are so high, the FOC doesn't matter. I like playing 2250-2500 where you have to consider a whole lot in list building.

Sigismund might be lethal in a challenge, but...you just decline it.

I've never heard such blatant cowardice is all my life.

The Dark Gods are watching. Never deny a challenge.

Must have been why the glorious VIIIth were my first and now only remaining heresy army lol.

Sigismund might be lethal in a challenge, but...you just decline it.

I've never heard such blatant cowardice is all my life.

The Dark Gods are watching. Never deny a challenge.

Must have been why the glorious VIIIth were my first and now only remaining heresy army lol.

Well, that checks out. No argument here. :D

Gal Vorbak as troops is big, though I'm not sure if they're compulsory. My assumption is that they would be.

Another particularly good option is the FNP when attached to a unit of daemons. This makes allied daemons much more spicy. I imagine Tal, a chosen, and 20 lessers with wings and rending being a fun way to spend ~400 pts. Yes, you could give those lessers FNP previously, but now you can double dip with another aetheric dominion for a fun lil deathstar.

80 rending, preferred enemy infantry, S6 attacks, backed up by 3/4+, 5++, and a FNP to boot. Build to taste, of course

Edited by Brofist

He's very cool, but I do think he should get AP2 at initiative. Since he's an esteemed leader and beloved by his primarch he should override the Damned rule and score. It's also weird that he can fly by Gal Vorbak can't, so taking him should allow an option wings upgrade on those, maybe +5 points per model. That way it's consistent. I also need to re-read the main rulesbook to see if there are any other rules that would be appropriate for him that are missing here, because I don't trust FW and I think highly of myself as a superior designer so that means I know better.

I also think his point cost is perfect and should not be changed despite the above upgrades. Maybe even knock down his points a little.

I think the rules for him are pretty well balanced. He is a monster AP3 killer, buffs Gal Vorbak and other daemons all for the cost of fully-kitted out praetor equivalent. Okay, he strikes at I5 and doesn't have AP2 attacks, but if DID have those they he would be way overpowered for his price.

A little underwhelming. He's a beefcake who will mulch AP3, and another way to get Gal Vorbak as troops is great, but the FNP bonus is going to be very hard to take advantage of, and I'm a little disappointed at the end of the day that he didn't receive his Custodes weapons given how iconic they are - he's basically the only non-Custodian in the setting who wields them. A paid upgrade for them would be ideal. Being able to give GV wings/to put him in a transport with them (as he could control the change for most of his life) would be a massive improvement too. Wonder if he'll mesh better with whatever tweaked (?) ruleset the Word Bearers are going to get.

Gal Vorbak as troops is big, though I'm not sure if they're compulsory. My assumption is that they would be.

If it's not specified as non-compulsory (as in this case), then they're compulsory.

but if DID have those they he would be way overpowered for his price.

Well presumably if he had better rules, he'd cost more points. I don't think anybody is saying that he's bad for what he currently costs.

To be completely honest, my biggest issue with him is that he's just... boring. 

I can live with him only being base AP3 and all that, but he's just completely uninspiring as a ruleset and I find myself utterly disinterested in fielding him when incredibly unique and far more flavorful characters like Zardu Layak exist. 

Argel Tal and the Imperial Fist Huscarls are the first new units we've seen added into the Horus Heresy from the new rules team and both of them are utterly lacking, to my mind, in the department of creativity. I understand that these are both rulesets that have been added in completely free and will be subject to change when they probably get released in a proper book... But it leaves me genuinely worried about the future of Horus Heresy if this is just a taste of the bland and colourless content we're destined to receive. 

I can live with him only being base AP3 and all that, but he's just completely uninspiring as a ruleset and I find myself utterly disinterested in fielding him when incredibly unique and far more flavorful characters like Zardu Layak exist. 

Argel Tal and the Imperial Fist Huscarls are the first new units we've seen added into the Horus Heresy from the new rules team and both of them are utterly lacking, to my mind, in the department of creativity. I understand that these are both rulesets that have been added in completely free and will be subject to change when they probably get released in a proper book... But it leaves me genuinely worried about the future of Horus Heresy if this is just a taste of the bland and colourless content we're destined to receive. 

It may be the case that both Huscarls and Argel Tal's rules are being experimented with by releasing them in to the wild early.

When/if a new ruleset drops, both (or neither) may have rules that have more import, or both (or neither) may remain exactly the same.

Those rules are in line with everything pre book 7. That's why they don't look so special. The ammount of special rules has raised since then.

I've kind of gone on at length about boring being subjective.

As gorgoff mentions, they're really just...in line with most hq/character units in the majority of the books; even after book 9 they're broadly still in line. You look at all the special rules and cool weapons for Sedras, Holguin and corswain and it's like...so they pretty much fight units in combat and might do some minor buffing; all that effort and they don't actually do anything interesting on the table or in list building.

I seem to remember the Heresy team having an e-mail to provide them with feedback re: rules released outside of the black books. Perhaps it's worth sharing your thoughts with them? It's worth a try, at least.