Prot's UM stroll down memory (Heresy) lane.

Prot

Hey Prot, just wondering if you'd consider using Master-crafted on the Relic Sergeant's Plasma Blaster since you can now be "protected" by the Combat Revival of an Apothecary?

2 shots at Damage 3 each are pretty nice to have.

Also, regarding when you used a Chapter Champion, which kind did you take?

I never tried that and it sounds great. I did post the list up, but I never had that model done up so I just went with the 5 I had done up. I do have a few of those other type of Termie models, but not assembled. I'll try that for sure.

I’ve found Eradicators don’t need to be put in reserve for my games (typically).

For sure they don't have to be reserved, but if I have someone that likes to be aggressive, putting them in reserve has an effect on their deployment that is nice to take advantage of. Also the times I have these guys pop off the side board with their smaller foot print and pop a tank or something... it's really good and almost can't be prevented.

I'm still a little stuck on the army. I typically have a decent (better than .500) win percentage, but this experiment has me trying to re-figure out some of the units.

That's an interesting report. The opponent was a good player by the sound of it and took a powerful (some might say OP) SoB list (Vaul is so much better than Guilliman yet cheaper) and you still made a game of it.

I don't think taking 5 Vanguard and 5 Terminators shows them off as good as they could possibly perform, particularly the Terminators. Dropping down as a solid mass of 10 gives enough shots to hurt something badly or just contribute to killing vehicles, whilst 10 charging in is phenomenal against multiple targets if you can get it.

It's a lot of points as you said, which is a commitment. In your list I would have perhaps dropped the Assasult Centurions for more Terminators.

The alternative is taking 5+ with Thunder Hammer and Storm shields which are much more survivable than anything in the army.

I'm disappointed your Terminator Captain didn't perform. Against Vaul? Maybe not a surprise as she's ridiculous. Would even Calgar have lasted against her with just 2 extra wounds?

Against most other targets though I still rate him. I use him amongst those 10 Terminators though which makes him hard to get at whilst he swipes left and right with his Hammer. The force doesn't last all game but the hole they make is phenomenal.

You're a good player though and got decent mileage out of a list you didn't feel stood up to your scrutiny.

If you were to take it on again, what changes would you make?

No love for the powerfist with underslung grenade launcher?

I don't think it's terrible and can help a shooting Captain, but it's hard to move away from a Thunder Hammer for that Damage 3.

Has anyone else had experience with the power fist and underslung grenade launcher?

Quick update Prot:

I used my Captain with Censured Helm and Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield combo against my friend's Orks recently and he managed to kill 6 Ork Bikers and tank much of their attacks. Hitting on 3s sucks of course, especially as I did roll three 2s in my 2nd combat phase with them and only netted 2 dead bikers, but I was happy with his performance.

Nice. I think my problem was the match up being SoB. Honestly I find it one of the toughest for marines. It's just too efficient at taking apart elite armies. 

I'd love to revisit the build one day. 

To increase his consistency against Xenos and other non-Marines, he can utilise Fury of the First to get +1 to hit on those reroll ones to hit attack. With a S8/9 (Imperium's Sword obviously) attack and Reroll ones for wounds, the performance goes straight back up against most targets.

To increase his consistency against Xenos and other non-Marines, he can utilise Fury of the First to get +1 to hit on those reroll ones to hit attack. With a S8/9 (Imperium's Sword obviously) attack and Reroll ones for wounds, the performance goes straight back up against most targets.

Yup, I was doing that.

However I still really feel Calgar is better at surviving what some of the other races do. Half Damage is absolutely fantastic, plus the strats he has access to that a Termie Lord doesn't.

Trust me, I want to use this guy.... I mean look what came in the mail today!

med_gallery_2760_15033_337059.jpg

All the way to Canada.

I am still liking the idea of the ol' Leviathan dreadnought with Grav Flux! (I know no one is using this option, but I like it for an aggressive, mid table Ultra army with the new Techmarine.

Also just gotta say how much I love the new sculpts! Amazing stuff. I still use the UM's when I play that Horus Heresy Card game and it's inspiring to see these sculpts. I'd love to fit them in to the list.... maybe at least the Champion!

Yeah half damage is really good. It makes a big difference especially if that's how you intend to use him.

I do quite enjoy a 1+ save mind. 5 Ork bikers with choppas attacked my Captain the other day and all those attacks and still getting a lovely 2+ save was a delicious moment.

I guess it's just what you need the dude for eh.

You could prolly work heavy melta rifles into the mix… well worth it !

You know I typically used to do this until they nerfed our Tactical Doctrine. Since I always put them in reserves, I'd come onto the table hitting on 4's with that one upgraded gun which really sucks.

What do you mean by "nerfed our tactical doctrine"?

I’m a fan of the Grav Bombard as well, I just haven’t had a chance to play in a long time - let us know how it does!

Yeah I like it as well. 2D3 shots is pretty good per weapon and Damage 3 is delicious.

Honestly, I've been watching this space for a while.... I think the squad sizes I see even in competitive play is growing, and that blast is also coming into effect for me more often as time goes by. 

The beauty of this weapon with Ultra's is I think it's still one of our better advantages to try to bully mid and make a stand. The limited range is fine in this instance. (I think the range is a big detriment for many people.)

I don't know. I could be off my rocker, wouldn't be the first time. I just always look for the underdog units to test. I bought the actual FW Leviathan last year, but just wasn't sold on the Cannons everyone uses. 

You know I typically used to do this until they nerfed our Tactical Doctrine. Since I always put them in reserves, I'd come onto the table hitting on 4's with that one upgraded gun which really sucks.

If you're in a vehicle/drop pod, you're not 'on the table'. So it's been a while since I dug this up, so excuse my paraphrasing but it's preventing us from using one of my favourite (pre nerf) abilities like.... Eradicators coming in off reserves and using the heavy melta with no penalty, or Devs coming down in a pod, etc, etc.

If you're in a vehicle/drop pod, you're not 'on the table'. So it's been a while since I dug this up, so excuse my paraphrasing but it's preventing us from using one of my favourite (pre nerf) abilities like.... Eradicators coming in off reserves and using the heavy melta with no penalty, or Devs coming down in a pod, etc, etc.

Well, now I can throw my fresh build Eradicators with heavy melta rifles straight in the bin. Nice.