How to load out Wulfen

CrystalSeer

What's the rational on not taking the axes? For an extra three points it seems like d2 should come in handy.

I want rerolls to wound and love the frost claws

I only take THs so I get a SS

Have had plenty of games where a SS tanked all hits and kept my wulfen alive in shooting phase

If i were you i would make 2 squads of 5 because 10 of them are overkill. The optimal load out is still 4 hammers/shields and leader with claws. If you want them a bit cheaper go with 3 hammers/shields and 2xfrost claws. The axe is not a good option better to have the thunder hammer and shield for  the points. Hammer/ shield is the best option because you have access to keen senses and +1 to hit from chapter tactic so the penalty to hit doesnt afffect you. Also  the shield is great for tanking hits. 

I find wulfen one of our best options (despite the nerfs), they just play differently now. I use them with successor tactics whirlwind of rage and born heroes. Yes they are more fragile now but they hit a lot harder and with the right support they can one shot anything in the game. If you need the extra help you can play keen senses to make them hit on 2s, the +1 to wound to wound on 2s and mark the unit with morkai bolts to make them reroll 1s to wound :smile.:. Every 6+ is 3 hits that wounds on 2s reroll 1s and 3 damage with the hammers. You should also consider that there are  too many abilities that give -1 damage so the hammer is always superior to the axe.

Edited by lonewolf81

This is where is gets tricky...You cant rush them up like you did when they had 3+ inv and 5+ fnp.... I use them as counter assault unit. I keep them hidden so they can threat the mid-board, bait my opponent to the middle by playing the objective game and then destroy expensive units by attacking first. One five man unit with 4xhammers/shields, leader with claws costs about 180 points and can chew through units that cost double those points if played right. If you can also force your opponent to charge them in order to kill them (right position wherever is possible), they can kill additional units during your opponents turn with the fight even if they die rule

Edited by lonewolf81

Lately I've been playing against Death Guard, where you inevitably face one or more plague burst crawlers.  The "keeping them hidden" approach doesn't work as well in that case since the PBC's can indirect fire and the Wulfen are prime targets.  Any advice for that situation?  I've used cunning of the wolf, but that's too random to be reliable.  Or brought a stormwolf, but that's too expensive.

Are PBC'c a hard point? I routinely drop in relic contemptors with Las and missiles. Seems like it could be an easy fix. Clear a path for wulfen to move up.

12 wounds at T8 with a 3+/5++ and Disgustingly Resilient makes them a pain to shift, particularly when they can hide out of LOS and rely on the mortar for damage. A Las/Krak Relic Contemptor will average only 5 wounds on a PBC (before buffs) and that is if it can get LOS. Not a bad unit but gives an idea of how awkward these things are to shift.

Eradicators with MM, Heavy Melta Rifles, Keen Senses and Cunning of the Wolf are a potential solution as they will put around 8 Wounds on a PBC although they risk being screened.

Using a Rune Priest to play Cloaked by the Storm on them is not a bad idea as -1 to-hit is decent protection. The problem with Death Guard is that while they are not the most powerful army in the meta, they do make it very hard to fight on them on anything other than their own terms.

Edited by Karhedron

If your opponent hide his PBC, then he will lose the damage output from direct fire, then he lose value.

True but against Marines the Mortar alone is more dangerous than a Whirlwind vengeance launcher despite only costing 30 points more overall. Losing 30 points of offense may be a worthwhile trade to protection gained by hiding out of LOS.

The PBC can still use its direct fire weapons against units that came in nearby from Reserve or it can move out of cover mid-game once the enemy's ranged anti-tank has been reduced.

• 1 month later...

I would suggest using Thane of the Retinue to give a Wulfen Pack Leader MC Frost Claws boosting them up to damage 2

with that you can take out squads very easily, 

Load Outs I would think you would like to have a few, 3 Frost Axes at best, but think about it, since they're wulfen they're always in assault doctrine and they get the benefit's of savage fury super doctrine, so exploding 6s, hits on 2s, wounds on 2s or 3s, you can improve the wound with the savage strike strat, and you'll likely wipe out the enemy squad before you roll for the thunder hammers. Also the Axes go to ap-4 in combat, so you're taking away their armor save and forcing an invul save along with FNP(Feel No Pain)

Why are so many against Great Frost Axes?

Because I converted my axes to hammers and cant go back now :)

Survivability the main issue for me. And price for the unit in general. Axes fall between 2 stools for me

Havent done the mathammer for a while but IIRC theres a lot of cases where claws are better and not just cheaper eg against one wound models, -1d units. They even do the exact same damage v Gravis marines

Axes are best against T4 multiwound models without invuls for example

On the other side Thunder Hammers always being -3.to save is very powerful