Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Would you use a GW type version of Hero Forge?

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

Ldorte

Ldorte

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 350 posts

I think a more interesting aspect is that GW could make use of better printing methods using more expensive printers. Resin printers are great but the supports require a load of effort to take off and can chip the resin during this process (requiring the mini to be re-printed), and then the models need washing and curing on top of that, requiring a lot of staff input and time.

I got something commissioned by a company that has some extremely fancy MJF printers ($240,000 per printer). This process involves "an inkjet array to selectively apply fusing and detailing agents across a bed of nylon powder, which are then fused by heating elements into a solid layer. After each layer, powder is distributed on top of the bed and the process repeats until the part is complete."  The finish and detail on the part was great after their automated polishing process. 

This method requires minimal manual post-processing by staff members which would certainly be an advantage.

A few more years is needed for the technology to start to drop in price for the initial investment to make sense and for the technology to improve a little more, but if they were to invest in a heroforge-like system then that seems like a better route to go than resin in the long-term having personally used both.

The finish on the part was great after their automated polishing process. 

EjjRGyF.jpg   x4yEGp4.png   gallery_29004_6198_5690.pnggallery_30308_9518_1964.pnggallery_30308_9518_7224.pnggallery_30308_9518_813.png

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Culverin Models - - 28mm Scenery for 40k - - website - - etsy -- kickstarter

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scribe

Scribe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,211 posts
  • Faction: Khorne
I'd drop good money on something like this.

Stupid money.
Q:  Is there room for hope in the grim dark future of Warhammer 40,000?
A:  I do hope not because then it won't be the 40k universe anymore.
- Dan Abnett -

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻

Schurge

Schurge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 249 posts
  • Faction: World Eaters + Daemons
I would if the quality is there. I pre-ordered two heroes from Heroforge and was ultimately disappointed.

Jorin Helm-splitter

Jorin Helm-splitter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,436 posts

I don't think that I would order anything from a GW themed hero forge. I just don't think the rules are flexible enough for it to be worth it. I haven't played a role playing game in years, but I can see where you would get the value from hero forge because it allows you to build what you want instead of looking for the closest model. 

I'm not paying a premium for something I can already get. Heck with what they'd charge I'd probably be better off buying two kits to make what I want.

I would like custom shoulder pads, for some of the less popular chapters but a full on hero forge just doesn't make sense to me.

• Juggernut likes this

Evil Eye

Evil Eye

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,384 posts
  • Faction: Chaos and Tyranids.

There's not a great deal you'd really be able to accomplish with it that you couldn't already with good old fashioned kitbashing. I'd personally rather GW made a "Make your own hero" rules supplement that would allow any faction to field their own specialized character so there was an actual reason to use said custom minis, be it a heroic Space Marine Captain with a bespoke selection of wargear, a unique Tyranid leader-beast bioform or whatever. They did something similar with AoS' Anvil of Apotheosis, and whilst AoS is a more simplified game than 40K, with a bit of work put in I can't see why it couldn't be done for the far future (aside from GW just not wanting to).

• Warhead01 likes this

ztbmByp.png

I come here to discuss and find out about Warhammer 40,000 with people of every ethnicity, sexuality, country and yes, as sickening as it is, even Eldar players.

I have an Instagram too, if you like that sort of thing!

(Formerly known as Squigsquasher)

Warhead01

Warhead01

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,208 posts
  • Faction: The Deleted.

Short answer, No. 

Long answer maybe but probably not. 
I can't see myself using this for anything other than a Space Marine character and even still if it has options they would need rules to go with them that aren't nerfed from codex to codex or faq
Outside of a Space Marine, no. I much prefer my own conversions and my own work. My warboss, for example, has been the same model for a long long time and he'd been converted and modified from edition to edition. He's glorious.  I wouldn't put that in the hands of a GW service that will cost a bunch for something I am already more than happy to do for myself. 
The price alone is not a turn off so much as I'd always rather do it myself. I've paid far too much for official Limited edition GW or FW characters that I would other wise never be able to get, it's not the cost.  
The flip side to letting GW produce a model of your own design is how do you retain the rights to that and should you. It may be a hero from one of their factions but you put the creative work in to a degree and now they are making money from that and what's stopping them from them putting that into production in the future. By which I mean maybe they offer a gallery and you design just happens to be in there and Timmy decided he has to have it.  
Short answer, no. 

uberwolve 15/01/03 - 6/18/17  username replaced 

http://warhead01.blogspot.com/
Fix Bayonets! 
Hail Hail Freedonia! 

Kurgan the Lurker

Kurgan the Lurker

++ INQUISITUS EXTERMINATI ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 18,604 posts
  • Faction: Vultures

I have one experience with Hero Forge. Let my daughter put a mini together on the site and it lasted about 2 days before it was snapped off at the ankles. 

If GW could guarantee a particular quality level, I'd at least try it once.

• Black Blow Fly, Triszin, Domhnall and 1 other like this

The Cult of Orange -- None Can Withstand Our Color!
Duck Blind Miniatures - The website has been gone for a long time so I've put up a FaceBook page to show what photos I have left or may add in the future.
Duck Blind Minis IG - I do post on IG too but fair warning there are other things (mostly the gym) on here besides minis.
Kurgan's Twitter Feed
Kurgan's FaceBook Page

"And maybe the Traitor Legions would come to their senses, renounce the Ruinous Powers and return to the light of the Emperor." -- Ciaphis Cain on the likelihood of a Mawloc being scared off by a melta blast.

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,467 posts
I'd be for it. But I'd imagine it works be closer to the Lego variant. Where once enough people "buy in" it gets a production run
banana

Jukkiz

Jukkiz

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,138 posts
  • Faction: Sinners

would be nice option for those of us who cannot convert or don´t want to. To build novel characters like Khorag, for example

"Every world is under Emperors might, then why i feel empty..."

15th tactical marine 6th company, Ermus. Sinners chapter

Domhnall

Domhnall

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 170 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Reivers

I have one experience with Hero Forge. Let my daughter put a mini together on the site and it lasted about 2 days before it was snapped off at the ankles. 

If GW could guarantee a particular quality level, I'd at least try it once.

My dwarf's axe snapped off at the hand while I was painting it... so not as robust as I'd have expected from the premium price tag. 

Quesiton to the 3D printers out there, what's the robustness of the stuff you print? I'm assuming it's dependent on the material, but what's the consensus? 

Arkhanist

Arkhanist

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,435 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels, GSC, Death Guard

It very much depends on the material. Cheap UV resin can be fairly strong to compression and tension, but are more vulnerable to impact and torsion stress - i.e. dropping it or twisting it can break it easier than the styrene or abs plastic equivalent, while it's can be as good or better as plastic when getting squished in a bag.

Tougher resins intended for engineering pieces (which are a bit more expensive) on the other hand are much tougher -

Esun hard-tough has a good reputation as an engineering resin for example.

I know quite a few people mix in a small percentage of sirya tenacious to improve cheap resin at minimal extra cost without loss of detail capability; it's a rubbery flexible final plastic on its own, but a bit mixed with standard resin gives something with a bit of flex to prevent breaking on impact, and more robust minis.

Edited by Arkhanist, 16 September 2021 - 03:14 PM.

• Domhnall likes this

gallery_48988_15465_8206.pnggallery_53969_15812_3395.gifgallery_62972_14467_3819.jpg

Dosjetka

Dosjetka

++ TUTATOR MONTEM ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 13,743 posts
I wouldn't, no. I'm already not keen on the price of current GW character models and, despite the options it would offer, I just don't see these being any cheaper.

gallery_45765_15430_13020.pnggallery_45765_15430_13241.pnggallery_45765_15430_20687.pnggallery_45765_15430_11578.pnggallery_45765_15430_1287.pnggallery_45765_15430_34763.pnggallery_45765_15430_18580.pnggallery_45765_15430_18989.png

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users