Dusting off a new army

dice4thedicegod

Having just gotten death guard ready to play, I’ve been enthralled by the idea of thousand sons.

Being someone whose armies always end up with some melee, I’m drawn to the (Probably uncompetitive) cult of mutation. So thinking about an initial 500 point thrall band of:

Exalted sorcerer (paradigm of change, vicissitude, stave abominus)

Sorcerer in terminator armor (battle psyker, exalted mutation, undying form, prosperine khopesh)

5 Rubrics (couple of flamers)

5 rubrics

Chaos spawn

Chaos spawn

Once I get to 1000 points, I’ll add a mutilith and some terminators.

What I’ve worked on so far:

1118090_sm-Chaos%20Space%20Marines%2C%20

Nice start!

I'm not sure if TS will be as outright competitive as DG, but as you say it's for non-competitive play. I play against DG fairly regularly so I feel confident you're going to find the Sons quite a bit different. (Aside from the fact both armies love their Termie's, they operate differently).

Welcome aboard!

Nice work! I've been toying with some more melee components also - I think the dic might be needed there! 

Sorcerer in terminator armor (battle psyker, exalted mutation, undying form, prosperine khopesh)

This is a build I've been thinking of, well, the battle psyker TDA sorc anyway. I'd went for the axe, as it's better in melee for less than staff+khopesh and can use the combimelta also. Consider Aetherstride also to make the TDA sorc M8" and FLY. 

And another aspiring sorcerer is table ready. Hopefully get a couple of 500 point games on on Sunday and see if I can forget the psychic phase (which I’ve done playing a different army!)

Whoa, love these colors. How did you do that blue and gold?

And another aspiring sorcerer is table ready. Hopefully get a couple of 500 point games on on Sunday and see if I can forget the psychic phase (which I’ve done playing a different army!)

Whoa, love these colors. How did you do that blue and gold?

Thanks!

It’s just priming army painter crystal blue. Dry brush highlights in lighter blue. Gold is either folkart or GW (I use either) them nuln oil over everything! Quick and simple to the table top!

• 1 month later...

Well, I’d planned to finally get a thousand point, thousand sons game in… but it ended up as another 500 pointer as one of the guys wanted to try out his drukhari patrol.

So, I knocked a few units out of my list (mutilith, terminators, rubrics) and ended up a little character heavy with an exalted sorcerer, terminator sorcerer, rubrics, tzaangor shaman, 4 spawn.

He had an archon, 10 kabbalite warriors, 5 incubi, a raider and a ravager.

Had some good luck… went first so I had weaver of fates by the time he fired his dark lances (3 on the ravager alone… had been worried about them). And the mortal wounds just added up over time… tabled him during my turn 3 psychic phase.

Tzaangor shaman was a useful mobile little piece. Ended up killing the archon with a little doombolt, cabal mw and extra stratagem to throw out a smite.

All I ever used cabal points for was +d3 mw … and it was always a 1! But it all adds up!

• 1 month later...

Good to see more progress, if only I could say the same! My experience with the current Custodes codex is limited but psychic powers - chiefly those generating Mortal Wounds - made a big difference. Without this the scales will be changing, but with how choppy Custodes are and their toughness a new updated army list for them could make them a tough match up for Sons. We'll need to wait and see as always.

What's next for your army? Against Custodes perhaps the Mutalith or Spawn are worth adding as something to keep them busy while the rest of your army sets about winning games (in theory at least!).

I seem to always find room for spawn:) At 1000+ points I’ll definitely bring a mutilith too… maybe a shaman (I like the idea of giving a shaman the seeker after secrets warlord trait for extra cabal points and be a mobile psychic action taker).

(After a total of 1 game using them): scarabs seem way better than rubrics… well worth the points.)

Scarabs have been great for me also - I'm looking at swapping one of the 10 rubric units for a 5 man SOT one. I think it'll be a little less durable, but more consistent damage output, both at 24" when moving but also danger close. 

MVB seems interesting, I'd definitely like to try one. Spawn are also great - perfect for Weaver. Unsure how many is good in a 1000-1500pt game though.