The oldest extant model

Valkyrion

99810106016_TheRedTerrorNEW01.jpg

Oldest tyranid?

Its the same age as the basic plastic termagants, hormagaunts and warriors. They've been recut on their sprues but Red Terror has been transfered to Finecast later than the termagants were split from hormagaunts.

Edited by Closet Skeleton

Not nearly as old as some of the others mentioned here but I'll throw in some for the T'au Empire.

Kroot Shaper (still metal)

Aun'Shi (still metal)

Vespid Stingwings (recast in resin)

Sniper Drones & Firesight Marksman (recast in resin)

Aun'Va & Bodyguards (recast in resin)

Krootox Rider (recast in resin)

Kroot Hounds (recast in resin)

Those are all still from the 3rd-4th edition so got released somewhere between 2001 and 2006. There are more kits that are basically the exact same from that time but are fortunately now in plastic as well so I didn't count them. Others luckily got a proper update in the meantime (Crisis Suits and Broadsides for example).

Ironically, Darkstrider who's rumoured as getting a new model with the Codex in January while also still a resin model isn't as old as the above as he's a 6th edition model (so got released somewhere around 2013+).

Edited by Panzer

Oldest tyranid?

Its the same age as the basic plastic termagants, hormagaunts and warriors. 

The Warriors were new models (based on the old) released in 2010 or so with the 5th (?) ed codex, and with new weapon options. The Gants and gaunts are indeed dating back to ~2000, but not the oldest stuff GW still sells.

I think in terms of core, iconic troops necessary/expected for an army, with the release of new Ork Boyz, Eldar Guardians and Tyranid Gaunt species are the oldest. Sure, individual models are older, but they're not necessarily a core part of armies. 

I think in terms of core, iconic troops necessary/expected for an army, with the release of new Ork Boyz, Eldar Guardians and Tyranid Gaunt species are the oldest. 

I think plastic Catachans probably fit in that group as well. 1999 I think?

99120101154_SMCompanyCommand01.jpgWhat about the company command squad guys when they came without this captain?

It's probably more recent than I remember, but I bet it's still a fair age.

The Command Squad came out in 2004. I remember getting them on pre-release at Gamesday that year a few weeks before the official release date :D

Some parts in the kit were re-used from the 3rd edition space marine tactical squad though, which came out in 1998.

99120101154_SMCompanyCommand01.jpgWhat about the company command squad guys when they came without this captain?

It's probably more recent than I remember, but I bet it's still a fair age.

The Command Squad came out in 2004. I remember getting them on pre-release at Gamesday that year a few weeks before the official release date :D

Some parts in the kit were re-used from the 3rd edition space marine tactical squad though, which came out in 1998.

I did the same!! Ha - fond memories!

Not nearly as old as some of the others mentioned here but I'll throw in some for the T'au Empire.

Aun'Shi (still metal)

Those are all still from the 3rd-4th edition so got released somewhere between 2001 and 2006. There are more kits that are basically the exact same from that time but are fortunately now in plastic as well so I didn't count them. Others luckily got a proper update in the meantime (Crisis Suits and Broadsides for example).

Ironically, Darkstrider who's rumoured as getting a new model with the Codex in January while also still a resin model isn't as old as the above as he's a 6th edition model (so got released somewhere around 2013+).

The Kroot Shaper is actually the newest Kroot other than the Warhammer Quest guy. All the other kroot came out at the same time with the first Tau release. Oldest true T'au units are Aun'Shi and the Devilfish/Hammerhead.

Only Tau models to be re-released in plastic are Shadowsun, Stealth suits and Pathfinders. Broadsides semi-count but they were originally plastic crisis suits with metal guns. Farsight was originally metal and plastic before becoming pure finecast. All the other newer Tau plastic kits are remakes of plastic kits or the only versions.

Aun'Shi (still metal)

The Kroot Shaper is actually the newest Kroot other than the Warhammer Quest guy. All the other kroot came out at the same time with the first Tau release. Oldest true T'au units are Aun'Shi and the Devilfish/Hammerhead.

Only Tau models to be re-released in plastic are Shadowsun, Stealth suits and Pathfinders. Broadsides semi-count but they were originally plastic crisis suits with metal guns. Farsight was originally metal and plastic before becoming pure finecast. All the other newer Tau plastic kits are remakes of plastic kits or the only versions.

It wasn't a weighted list. Just noted them down as they came to my mind. ;)

is corboulo and dante the same age? i think tycho was redone for 3rd war for armageddon?(i had his original model at one point.) chaos... defiler? theres a few chaos lords for the legions that probably count- iron warrior and nightlord. h and the chaos bikes(were the normal ones updated?)and bezerkers?

is corboulo and dante the same age? i think tycho was redone for 3rd war for armageddon?(i had his original model at one point.) chaos... defiler? theres a few chaos lords for the legions that probably count- iron warrior and nightlord. h and the chaos bikes(were the normal ones updated?)and bezerkers?

I believe the models for Dante, Tycho and Corbulo were all released together with the Angels of Death codex in 1996. The previous Blood Angel captain model that was used to represent Tycho originates from before my time in the hobby, back in Rogue Trader I think. 

(Just checked, there is a photo of Tycho in the Angels of Death codex so he was not released in line with Armageddon. I think that's where the storyline of him entering the Death Company and dying in action originated from though.)

I believe the models for Dante, Tycho and Corbulo were all released together with the Angels of Death codex in 1996. The previous Blood Angel captain model that was used to represent Tycho originates from before my time in the hobby, back in Rogue Trader I think.

(Just checked, there is a photo of Tycho in the Angels of Death codex so he was not released in line with Armageddon. I think that's where the storyline of him entering the Death Company and dying in action originated from though.)

Yeah, that's my recollection too. I think it was a battle report tie in from White Dwarf.

Yeah, that's my recollection too. I think it was a battle report tie in from White Dwarf.

The battle report one was the original blood angels captain, the first model to be painted gold and have a mask on. Jervis Johnson called his captain Tycho and he was obliterated by Andy Chambers' Weirdboy. When Codex Angels of Death rolled around, the new Tycho model was released and the story of the battle report became canon, only rather than being killed Tycho had half his face melted, hence the half mask and his hatred of orks.

I think the original post is gone now But i kept a note of it. There was a member who trolled though 100's of white dwarfs

The oldest models at the time (May 2020) were

1) Servitor model with two servo arms - March 1993
2) Space wolf rune priest - June 1993
3) Warp spiders - March 1994
4)Eldar Avatar, Asureman, Fugan Karandras -April 1994
5)Baharroth, Maugan Ra - May 1994

Excluding models that went out of production and came back for one offs/build to demand etc.
Edited by Battle Brother Abderus