Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

New Night Lord Warband

Night Lords Chaos WIP

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

Bobular

Bobular

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Dawn

Hi all, I'm a long time lurker, first time poster on here.

I'm starting a new project, trying to finish a Night Lords army after just finishing reading the first book in the Night Lords series (and being a fan of the Night Lords from the 30k books).

I'm posting here as I'm kinda doing this as a secret project, I don't want any of my friends I play against to know anything about these Night Lords until they hit the board in their fully painted gory glory!  But I still want to get some feedback as I'm going, so thought why not post them up on here?

I've started out by doing a single terminator:

Terminator

Terminator
Terminator
Terminator
Terminator

Its my first time painting anything like the lightning on Night Lords' armour, so hopefully it'll start looking better as I get more practice in.  I'm also trying to go for a trench/no man's land style for the bases as I know one of the armies my Night Lords will be facing will be a Krieg army.

So yeah, any comments or tips would be appreciated!

• Triszin, Marshal Loss, N1SB and 8 others like this

Gederas

Gederas

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 6,147 posts

First off: Welcome to the B&C!

Secondly: You're clearly off to a great start if that lone Terminator is any indication :yes: The lightning, which is honestly the hardest thing about the Night Lords scheme, looks very well-done.

Marshal Loss

Marshal Loss

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,812 posts
  • Faction: Emperor's Children

Fantastic work! I think the base would look better if the trim were black - the brown just sort of merges into the actual base/gold of the armour, imo - but there's really nothing to criticize, the paintjob is fantastic. Love the legion symbol tramp stamp. :P

bRxSYDV.png

BadgersinHills

BadgersinHills

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 974 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves, Night Lords.

Looking good!! 

Maybe you could model TWC-sized "were-templars" who's inner Templar took over in the fury of battle transforming them into a giant half man - half templar?

gallery_62972_14467_9630.jpg. gallery_48988_16228_1694.png  

My Works in Progress

Credit to Julie Hang for the profile picture. @juliehangart on Instagram.

Bobular

Bobular

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3 posts
Its taken me much longer than I thought, but I've managed to paint up the rest of the squad.  I've tried changing the base colour over to black and I think its kinda helped.  Once again, any comments/criticisms/tips will be appreciated.

T2a
T2b
T2c
T2d

With this one I've tried to do some lightning on his face as well.  At some point I want to paint some skull imagery onto the helmets, but I'll probably leave that to the 'normal' chaos marines.  I also like the idea that this one has just chain fisted the guy on his base and is now turning his attention and his bolter to some guys a bit further away.

T3a
T3b
T3c
T3d

This guy had some spodgy bits on his base where the mud didn't cover properly, so I thought I'd fill them in with some green goo, probably some kind of chemical weapon launched into no-man's land to try to keep the forces of Chaos at bay... not that terminators care about that in the slightest.  Also the arm and shovel has me envisioning a lone Krieg soldier charging the terminator, shovel drawn, and getting blown to bits from a blow from the powerfist.

T4a
T4b
T4c
T4d

The squad heavy flamer.  I'm quite happy with the lightning on this guy, especially the small bit on his flamer.  Given him a Ultramarine helmet on his trophy rack as I frequently face Ultramarines, so clearly this guy must be a veteran at killing them.

T5a
T5b
T5c
T5d
T5e

Finally the combi-melta guy (as you may be able to tell, I've gone for a variety of weapons, rather than something more optimal).  I'm quite pleased with how I've done the White Scar helmet on his rack, was worried I'd mess up the white when it came to putting that red on it.  With his base I've tried to make it look like his walking on some wooden planking, but the weight of his armour has caused his feet to just go straight through the wood.  Not sure how well that's come across.  Also I was disappointed I couldn't get my hands on a Krieg lasgun, so had to make do with this one from my Guard regiment (A couple of heads on some of the other racks are from this regiment as well).

All Terminators

Finally a group shot of all five together!

• Triszin, LameBeard and Dr_Ruminahui like this

Naryn

Naryn

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 561 posts
  • Pronouns:he/him
  • Faction: Thousand Sons

The lightning effects on these guys really stand out; they look like they're always crackling with electricity. Love it!

Bobular

Bobular

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3 posts
Leaders

These two have just come in, so will be next up to be painted.  A Night Lord Chaos Lord (a beautiful mini from Artel "W" Miniatures, always liked the look of this guy and he's one of the reasons I chose to start this project), as well as a normal chaos sorcerer with a Night Lord winged helmet.  I've never really been a fan of the new plastic sorcerer's bare head.

The only issue I have now is that I didn't realise the new sorcerer was on a bigger base and I'd already stuck the lord to his base before realising.  Is this going to be a problem going forwards?  By which I mean will it look weird more than any actual game-play issues.

• Triszin likes this

Triszin

Triszin

++ INTERFECTOR ROBUSTUS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 7,521 posts
Great looking stuff
banana

Brother Nihm

Brother Nihm

++ INTEMPESTA NOX ++

• ++ MODERATI CEDO ++
  • 11,860 posts
  • Faction: Scourges of Quintus

Looking great so far, great basework as well. thumbsup.gif

I would suggest making the brightest lines within the lightning bolts - a bit smaller.

Example 

Posted Image
My Blog | My Gallery | Call of Chaos: IV, V

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Night Lords, Chaos, WIP

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users