Blade Guard Paint Recipe by Max Faleij

BitsHammer

I recently discovered Infernal Brush who is a former 'Eavy Metal painter who teaches 'Eavy Metal's approach to painting on Twitch and Youtube. In his discord he shares painting recipes as well which is where I found this one for Max's Black Templar Bladeguard model:

ijuKoc0.png

tHk068j.png

EDIT: Thought I'd toss in a recipe for the Stormcast Cream Robes for anyone who likes that color scheme:

Cream Robes

Base: Steelegion/White 2:1

Soft Shade: Baneblade

Shade: Steelegion

Highlight: Steelegion / White 1:1

Highlight: Progressively add more White to previous mix

Edited by Fulkes

I feel this should be in the "Black Templars Resources" thread....

Also: What does "Deep Shade", "Line Shade" and "Soft Shade" mean?

I went back to look and found the answer under the tutorial section on the Discord:

38rrPQP.jpg

Also tossing this one in for people who like an easy way to put some paint wear in models: 

OAyjURc.png

Thanks!

Happy to help!

And if anyone wants some extra info about washes vs glazes to go with it let me quote someone from Cool Mini or Not: 

Basically, the difference is mostly in how it\'s applied. Both can be done using heavily diluted paint. A wash is applied liberally so that the paint runs into the crevices. A glaze is spread out over an already painted area so that it slightly tints the underlying colour (here you should have less paint on the brush, so that the paint doesn\'t pool and gather in the crevices).

Edited by Fulkes

Thanks Fulkes this is invaluable information as Black is a lot of work to make it really pop. The leather for the holster is just amazing.

Speaking of leather, this is the paint guide for the Chaplain on Bike. A lot of good stuff here, to include an alternative black armour and a good leather:

Black Armour.

Spray Chaos Black and apply Black paint by brush! (recommend AK 3rd Gen Black)
Chunky Highlight: Corvus Black or Eshin and Black 50/50
Highlight: Mix Dawnstone Grey and Eshin Grey 50/50
Highlight: Mix Dawnstone Grey and Administratum Grey 50/50
Dot highlight Admin and White/ Greyseer

Silver Metallics were done with BoltGun Metal and shaded using Black Ink. Leadbelcher and Nuln Oil/NulnOil gloss would be current range paints however I would also recommend Vallejo Dark Aluminium or AK Gun Metal as a substitute base metal. Highlight with VMA Silver.

Exhausts
Basecoat: Castellax Bronze
Shade: Chestnut ink/ Liquitex transparent burnt sienna
Shade: Cyptek Armour shade for heat staining add Nuln Oil/Black Ink as needed. 
Highlight add Vallejo Model Air Silver

Gold
Base Retributor armour.
Layer up adding a small amount of VMA Silver. 
Shade: Liquitex Transparent Burnt Sienna
Shade: deep shade rivets etc. DoomBull Brown and Black. 
Highlight add VMA silver

Book
Basecoat: Khorne Red and Incubi Darkness – looking for a rich deep purple/red
Shade: add Black
Highlight Chunky: Khorne Red
Highlight: Wazdakka Red
Highlight: Squig Orange
Highlight: Ungor Flesh

Tires - Warm Black
 Base Black
Highlight Chunky: Skavenblight Dinge and Black
Highlight: Skavenblight Dinge
Highlight: Stormvermin Fur
Highlight: Dawnstone and Administratum Mix
Shade: Glaze Rhinox into recesses. 

Red Bolters
Base: Mephiston Red
Shade: Khorne Red & Black
Highlight: Evil Suns Red
Highlight: Trollslayer Orange
Highlight: Firedragon Bright
Dot highlight add white to Firedragon. 

Leather
Base Rhinox
Shade Rhinox and Black
Highlight Doombull Brown
Highlight Mournfang Brown
Highlight add Karak Stone
Highlight Karak Stone (edited)

Additionally the new AoS Kruelboyz brought a lot of leather recipies for people looking for some other variations:

Leathers

Leather 1
Base – Gorthor / Gal Vorbak Red 1:1
Soft Shade – Rhinox / Gal Vorbak Red 1:1
Highlight – Gorthor
Highlight – Gorthor / Wraithbone 1:1

Leather 2
Base – Screamer Pink / Dryad Bark 1:1
Soft Shade – Base Mix / Black 1:1
Highlight – Base Mix / Gorthor 1:1
Highlight – Gorthor Brown
Highlight – Gorthor / Karak 1:1
Highlight – Karak Stone

Leather 3 
Base – Gorthor Brown
Soft Shade – Gorthor / Rhinox 1:1
Highlight – Rhinox Hide 1:1
Tidy (if needed) – Gorthor Brown
Highlight – Gorthor / Baneblade 1:1
Highlight – Baneblade Brown
Highlight – Karak Stone

Leather 4
Base – Rhinox / Mournfang 1:1
Soft Shade – Base Mix / ‘Khorne / Black Mix’ 1:1
Deep Shade (if needed) – Rhinox Hide / Barak Nar Burgundy 1:1
Highlight – Base Mix / Gorthor 1:1
Highlight – Gorthor Brown

Leather 5
Base – Steel Legion Drab
Soft Shade – XV88 / Rhinox 1:1
Deep Shade – Rhinox Hide
Tidy (if needed) – Steel Legion Drab
Highlight – Karak Stone

Hope these help!

tHk068j.png

Very similar to the recipe Artis Opus used for drybrushing his Black Templar. The major difference is the Black-Green/Blue/Black-Green/Blue build up is with drybrushing rather than highlights and then brought together with a wash and select glazing.

I'm less partial to drybrushing Marine armor, but anything that works works.

Very similar to the recipe Artis Opus used for drybrushing his Black Templar. The major difference is the Black-Green/Blue/Black-Green/Blue build up is with drybrushing rather than highlights and then brought together with a wash and select glazing.

I am also a fan of drybrushing highlights. Probably something to do with the fact I learned to paint back in the 90s. I find that getting a convincing gradation with painted highlights requires a ridiculous number of steps to make it look convincing. With drybrushing I can get a decent gradation usually just with 2 steps. My own Space Wolf BGVs were base coated with The Fang and then drybrushed with Space Wolves Grey and Corax White. Not quite 'Eavy Metal standard perhaps but I am pretty pleased with the finished result.

gallery_82363_15236_99713.jpg

I am also a fan of drybrushing highlights. Probably something to do with the fact I learned to paint back in the 90s. I find that getting a convincing gradation with painted highlights requires a ridiculous number of steps to make it look convincing. With drybrushing I can get a decent gradation usually just with 2 steps. My own Space Wolf BGVs were base coated with The Fang and then drybrushed with Space Wolves Grey and Corax White. Not quite 'Eavy Metal standard perhaps but I am pretty pleased with the finished

100% agree with this idea! Takes me hours to do a singlebminiature well with layers and layers or highlights multiple drybrushes are definitely good enough and so much quicker for me

I am also a fan of drybrushing highlights. Probably something to do with the fact I learned to paint back in the 90s. I find that getting a convincing gradation with painted highlights requires a ridiculous number of steps to make it look convincing. With drybrushing I can get a decent gradation usually just with 2 steps. My own Space Wolf BGVs were base coated with The Fang and then drybrushed with Space Wolves Grey and Corax White. Not quite 'Eavy Metal standard perhaps but I am pretty pleased with the finished result.

gallery_82363_15236_99713.jpg

Those bases also come from the 90’s

• 2 weeks later...

tHk068j.png

Speaking of Artis Opus' video... Here's a question, having watched this video I quite like the result, but I'm not sure regarding the colours. Specifically Huldra Blue, as I cannot get it at all.

Anyone know what's a good GW equivalent?

Also, if anyone wants another Black Templar paint example there's Warhipster's Contrast+ method:

Edit: also, I feel this thread should be pinned or in the resources thread due to all the paint scheme help in it

Edited by Gederas

tHk068j.png

Speaking of Artis Opus' video... Here's a question, having watched this video I quite like the result, but I'm not sure regarding the colours. Specifically Huldra Blue, as I cannot get it at all.

Edit: also, I feel this thread should be pinned or in the resources thread due to all the paint scheme help in it

Best I could find is the thought that Huldra Blue might be close to Incubi Darkness or Sotek Green. I coudn't find a compatability chart. I'll try and find out though and post here if I find anything.

Best I could find is the thought that Huldra Blue might be close to Incubi Darkness or Sotek Green. I coudn't find a compatability chart. I'll try and find out though and post here if I find anything.

Yeah... Compatibility charts are problematic. The issue is the one that I normally use from DakkaDakka is incomplete (per the person who was doing it, they got exhausted and haven't put the rest of the Scale75 colours in it :lol:). But yeah, I was thinking something like Incubi Darkness, Sotek Green or Stegadon Scale Green.

Yeah... Compatibility charts are problematic. The issue is the one that I normally use from DakkaDakka is incomplete (per the person who was doing it, they got exhausted and haven't put the rest of the Scale75 colours in it :laugh.:). But yeah, I was thinking something like Incubi Darkness, Sotek Green or Stegadon Scale Green.

I tagged Artist Opus on Twitter, so I'll share here if they have recommendations.

tHk068j.png

The bottle in the video looks like Night Lords air paint blue or Ultramarines blue

Adam Troke has a similar method/recipe that produces a flatter black; I think because he uses black for the wash rather than a black-blue. You may get results more similar to Artis Opus using Drakenhof Nightshade with Black Templar to bring down the grey (I may try this on a test mini in the future).

Base coat black spray of your choice

Dry brush with Dark Reaper

Dry brush more at the edges with Fenrisian Grey

Nuln Oil wash

50/50 Nuln Oil/Black Templar to bring down the grey

This was what I got when I tested the recipe a while back.

KiO2RTWl.jpg

Edited by jaxom

I feel like the cloth or parts of the shield would have to be red, or the pauldrons would clash with the rest of the mini.

Nah, I don't think Sword Brethren need red cloth or shields to look right. The red is supposed to stand out as they have red chapter icons as well.

Also red, black and cream/bone is a great set of colors to mix together. Just ask Blood Angels.

Edited by Fulkes