Fresh Blood for the Long War

spiros14

So that hiatus took about a week :wacko.:

I managed to drag myself through painting the Vortex Beast (if you have a friend who plays Thousand Sons who has gotten himself that model, give him a hug and all the support he needs, because it is a drag to paint) before severely missing painting the Iron Warriors.

Need A Hug

With the prospect of painting about twelve chaos warriors (the old, monopose type, not the sweet, new type) and with the GW advent calendar showing all of those lovely heretic astartes teasers I caved. As such, I have the greater possessed on standby to keep me sane while I get the warriors completed.

Hidden In plain sight

Day 21: they still do not realise I am not one of them...

I am confident that this won't crimp my scheduling too badly, as my AoS army's deadline is March, and with less than twenty models to paint, the pressure is very much off.

+Spiros14; Aspiring Champion+

I got one of the Greater Possessed models painted yesterday, which I had some fun with.  

Greater Possessed 1

To get the claw colour I painted the whole thing the same as the skin; then drybrushed the claw with Screamer Pink, then Khorne Red, and finally Abaddon Black, taking inspiration from real life crab and lobster claws.

Crab People

Next on the painting handle is the other Greater Possessed, though I think he might be a bit trickier to paint owing to the bone ornaments in the way.

I am quite excited with the latest Chaos vs. Eldar box trailer. a Warpsmith and Forgefiend is right up our legion's alley! I also like the look of the Chosen, which I think are going to be a fun paint. I'll have to figure out something to do with the Eldar kits without breaking my cover, though. 

Until next time!

• 2 weeks later...

Happy New Year Warlords of Perturabo!

I have gotten the second of the two greater possessed models done. 

Greater Possessed 2

I'm happy to have gotten most of the start collecting kit done in a short (for me) span of time. While the news of the upcoming warzone Nachmund has had a mixed reception with my hobby group, I for one welcome our new Chaos Overlords. I would like this to be the time of my big reveal where I show my true colours to the loyalists and blow them apart with chaos infused guns!

The Possessed Gang

While I'm partially inclined to paint the venomcrawler next, I don't want to spend a lot of time painting a large model, at least until I have my Age of Sigmar models painted first. So I have a Havoc armed with heavy bolter on the table to bide the time while I finish my Slaves to Darkness Warriors.

I am also thinking of expanding my army with a chaos warrior squad, and splitting the models up so I have a ten-man squad of combat marines, and a ten-man squad of shooting marines. For weapon options I am thinking of the following:
  • Combat squad has a champion with power axe and bolt pistol, a meltagun, and a heavy bolter (I could take a flamer here as it's another short ranged basic weapon, but it feels like a missed opportunity to not take a heavy weapon, and the heavy bolter has the most shots to offset the penalty of moving and firing)
  • Ranged squad has the Start collecting champion, plasma gun and autocannon.

Any other configurations you might offer would be a great help.

Vigilus will fall to the dark powers!

• 2 weeks later...

Work continues apace, honoured brothers!

By the time I completed the ten infantry warriors needed for my AoS tournament army, I managed to finish two of the havocs. Now that I've moved onto a bigger painting handle for the AoS figures (a manticore, fomoroid crusher, and karkadrak in case you were wondering), I now have the infantry handles spare to finish the chaos heavy weapons squad!

Lascannon And Heavy Bolter

I have enjoyed painting these models, the wide stance and big gun makes for a very powerful infantry model that was both very simple and enjoyable to paint. One thing I love about the model's design is that, unlike some of the other heretic astartes options, these are not just evil devestators. While the composition of four heavy weapons and a sergeant makes it seem like that at a glance, on closer inspection, the differences show themselves quite dramatically, for example, rather than have leg armour similar to normal firstborn power armour, or even the devestaor's crenelation pattern shinpads, the havocs wear something more akin to a primaris hellblaster, with separate shinplates to the rest of the thigh armour, and even hip plates.

Lascannon Back

Furthermore, I love how the lascannon and missile launcher designs evoke the over the shoulder carry of not just the previous havoc models, but of second edition space marine heavy weapons. 

Back to my havocs. As I vaguely mentioned on a previous post, I think the better plan for my havocs is to get two kits and mix them so I have an anti-tank squad, and an anti-infantry squad. With that in mind, I have differentiated the two squads with different shoulder pad schemes. The anti-tank will have a black pad, while the anti infantry will get the hazard striping.

Squad Markings

I have heard that the new chaos vs. eldar box set will release in February, though the AoS stuff takes priority, I'd love to get the havocs and the second Chaos Space Marines built and painted before then. 

Until next time, brothers!

You are making slow but steady progress - fitting for the IW :wink: Great to see some more done hopefully soon we can get a family shot :smile.:

Thank you, you can't rush quality, especially when you want to stay incognito from the hobby group. I will be sure to post a battle report style family shot during their first game, savouring every moment from my shocked adversaries faces!

Nice work Spiros. I was on the fence on whether to get a squad of the new Havocs. But your positive comments have me convinced they would be a welcome addition to the ranks of the Warpborn Chaos Marines.

As I've said I'm very much enjoying painting these, but on a gameplay perspective, another thing I like what they've done with havocs to distance them from evil devestators is in their special rules. A devestator squad is expected to sit in a ruin in the back lines and blast away at the enemy. They have a special little ammo cherub to double down on strategems, and their sergeant has special wargear to support his men's shooting while sacrificing his own. A havoc squad is a lot more aggressive (much how a heretic astartes is meant to be more aggressive than their loyalist counterpart), being given the ability to move and fire with no penalty, and been given an extra point of toughness so they can take the punishment of moving out in the open. You could use them to capture an objective in no-mans land and expect them to hold it.

• 1 month later...

Hello again! It's been a while since my last post, but since I have finished my AoS army, I'm ready to get back to work on the mighty fourth legion!

I painted up the last three figures for my havoc squad, who are just itching to do some damage with their guns against the loyalist dogs.

Full Squad

I've said before that I really like the models for this squad, and yet another thing I like about them are the helmets - they aren't standard from any traditional armour mark, having been altered in some way to add more lenses, cables, or just to look sinister. The champion's is a particular favourite of mine, as it reminds me of the X-01 power armour from the fallout series.

Champion

As I have said on a previous post, the eventual plan is to get a second havoc squad, so I can have an anti-infantry dedicated unit, and an anti-armour dedicated unit, which I have separated out as a unit with black shoulder pads, and a unit with hazard stripe pads. 

Team A

Team B

I've expanded my to-paint list to include another ten-man squad of chaos space marines, and the Chaos half of the Eldritch Omens box, during which I had to share my secret to a member of my hobby circle! I pray to the dark gods that the Eldar will keep him occupied until I can reveal my evil horde to the world!

Until the next one,

• 1 month later...

I've remembered my password, Battle Brothers!

In truth I got myself distracted with other projects, but now that we're getting more and more teasers regarding the new Chaos Space Marine codex, I am once more determined to get these models painted.

I've started off with the second unit of Chaos Space Marines that has been collecting dust on my shelf for some time now. I'm glad to say that I have finished the four boltgun-toting legionnaires. One thing of note is that two of them don't have the hazard stiped legs, but instead sport a black sigil transfer, much how a loyalist would sport a campaign badge (From what I can tell, the lack of smooth panels makes this a lot rarer on a heretic astartes than on their loyalist counterpart)

Bolters

These four souls now augment my Start Collecting squad to form a full ten-man squad of marines geared toward firefights. I will say that I love how well the models from this kit blend in with the start collecting set, a perfect example of how well made the current start collecting kit is (do you remember trying to blend in the low quality push fit black reach or dark vengeance models with your existing collection was? I always found it rather jarring) 

Fully Augmented Shooting Squad

On my table right now are the remaining six space marines, geared for combat, and the start collecting venomcrawler (I really need to get a start on those vehicles!) I also received my Eldritch Omens set, but have yet to build anything from it. I know I want the Warpsmith to be armed with a Thunder Hammer (you gotta pick the option when it's available) but I have no clue on how to build the chosen or the forgefiend! Do you have any suggestions for me?

That's all for now. I will return with more Chaos Space Marines painted and based for your pleasure!

Edited by spiros14

These IW are absolutely gorgeous spiros! One of the many strengths of the Chaos marine sculpts is that they all blend together for different but cohesive scale and look :biggrin.:

For the Chosen and Forgefiend, I'd build whatever you like the look of best. We've got some rumours at the moment about the Loadout options for chosen in the new book but nothing concrete just yet. I'm personally a big fan of Maulerfiends! :happy.:

I'll probably leave all but the warpsmith alone for the moment, then - I have plenty to work on at present anyway!

I've made a start with the Venomcrawler. Similar to the obliterators, this model has a lot of great detail, melding flesh and metal together in a frightening form. To be frank, I find the full thing a bit intimidating to paint, so I've decided to start off with the flesh, then move onto painting areas of the carapace in full (such as the head, the legs, and the abdomen), before finally painting the wires and cables on the fleshy areas joining all of the areas together.

Flesh

Speaking of fleshy daemon engines, I wanted to ask about the Helbrute model, specifically if the weapon options on it are as easy to switch out as on their loyalist counterparts. I'm hoping that because the model came out during the 6th/7th edition of the game, you'd be able to switch the arms out between games, similar to the Venerable Dreadnought.

Yes, it is easy to magnetize the plastic hellbrute - done that with both of mine based off a guide I found online.  I think I have the link to the guide I used in my bookmarks on my home computer -  I'll check tonight and if I do I will post it here.

Venomcrawler is fun to paint - just finished my 2nd.

EDIT: Found it: https://www.heresy-online.net/threads/tutorial-how-to-fully-magnetize-a-helbrute.171250/

It works great.  I used 3mm magnets throughout, though I wish I had used 4 or 5mm in the shoulders as I find they are knocked off more easily than I would like.

From my quick look at this one, it also looks good, but isn't the one I used: https://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/611681.page

Edited by Dr_Ruminahui

Thank you for the links. I'll be sure to use their guidance when I get a helbrute.

And after today's Chaos Space Marine reveals, that Helbrute is all the more likely. While I do love the look of many of the models, none of them really spoke "Iron Warrior" to me. This is fine, of course, one of my hobby group is quite excited for the new possessed and cultists for his Word Bearer's army.

So I will almost certainly be doubling down on what is currently available. The Helbrute will be a strong start, as will a Lord Discordant (the firm favourite for many Chaos Space Marine lists), another unit of Havocs, and perhaps a land raider or predator.

But first the venomcrawler, the remaining six combat marines (I shall also need to get another box so I can have a seco d squad of bolter brothers in my collection), and the Warpsmith, at least.

Our time is coming, brothers! We shall make the loyalists pay!

Another week, another bit of progress, brothers!

I will say first though that for all the actual 40k models didn't entice me, the Horus Heresy models certainly did. I was considering getting deimos pattern rhinos for the Iron Warriors anyway (and old heresy era transport with minimal spikes matches the aesthetic of the legion) but that they are going to be in plastic is just the cherry on top. That super heavy has also caught my eye, though I'll have to wait until I've built the army a lot bigger before I consider that beauty. 

Anyway, I finished off another three models from my surplus squad. Leaving just the champion, special weapon, and heavy weapon to go.

Chainswords

I also painted up the head armour for my venomcrawler, I shall be focussing on the legs (or at the very least, the armour plate underneath the model)

Faceplate

Nobody cared who I was until I put on the mask

I also had another moment where my friends stumbled over my deception. In a bid to help a friend with his Black Legion army, I had a go at making up a paint scheme he can fairly quickly go through to get his models to battle ready status, yet still put it the parade ready status later down the line. (the results of which are here: http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/373955-black-legion-painting-exercise/).

I had been showing off my finished model, and saying how it might be something to try with other legions, when one friend said "Sounds like you want to start a chaos army, Spiros14." Only for another to butt in and say "Spiros14 already has a chaos army! He plays then in AoS!"

Oh my dear friend, When the time comes, I will be pointing the bolter at you first.

The day of ascension draws close, Brothers!

With the rumour that the  Chaos Space Marine codex will release in early June, I've gone ahead and informed my hobby group that I am organizing an apocalypse game for late June (the 25th, to be exact) to celebrate the new codex, and to kickstart the Warzone Nachmund campaign. I've openly planned this campaign for a while now (I am well known for my campaigns) so it hasn't drawn any suspicion.

My group have enthusiastically drawn themselves to the game, and no suspicion has been raised.

I know have until then to get as much of an army as ready as possible for the big day - admittedly, the one fly in the ointment is that the upcoming combat patrol box has caught my eye as the perfect piece to compliment my exisitng collection (a third legionnaire squad to get me to a battalion detachment; a second havoc squad so I can make an anti tank and anti infantry squad; a helbrute; and a character that I don't own yet) but I depending on the release date I may be sorely pressed to get it done in time.

No matter, I will just need to do my best to clear my painting table before then, so I have the maximum amount of time to get as much of it done as possible!

For the sake of getting a picture on here, I have assembled the warpsmith that was part of eldritch omens. I do like this model, especially the face and robot eyes, that remind me of Batou from Ghost in the Shell a little. I'm going to enjoy painting this one as a reward for painting my last three combat marines and the venomcrawler.

Built Warpsmith