Unit of the Week: Ironclad Dreadnought

Jolemai

Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Ironclad Dreadnought

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use your Ironclads?

• To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Will you be running multiples? Footslog or transport?
  • How are you buffing this unit? Will it babysit anything?
  • What Wargear Options do you prefer and how much does it depend on the above choices?
  • Stratagem synergy or note?

Over to you

Please note that Chaplain Venerable Dreadnought, Death Company Dreadnought, Dreadnought, Furioso Dreadnought, Librarian Dreadnought, Mortis Dreadnought, Siege Dreadnought, and Venerable Dreadnought will be discussed elsewhere

This is one of the Space Marine models we've gained access to recently that I'm most excited about. T8 with Smokescreen makes this one of the most durable dreadnoughts we have access to. Coupled with a Librarian for Might of Heroes for that rare T9, and Psychic Fortress for a 5++ or Null Zone as needed.

The Hurricane Bolter is enticing, for shooting away what's screening the targets this guy actually wants, but I'd suggest getting your shooting elsewhere. Retaining the right-hand combat weapon allows you to reroll hits of 1 from both hands, and of course one CP will allow you to reroll wounds of 1 as well with Wisdom of the Ancients. I'd also use the Chainfist to avoid the -1 to hit malus. Vehicles are probably what this guy is after anyways, I just wish it included monsters as well.

As far as getting him into combat, a Dreadnought Drop Pod would be a great candidate. He could solo a Knight turn 1, even without Assault Doctrine. Keep him as close to 1 inch away from his target as possible after charging and his base will remain within the Psychic Fortress bubble of his Librarian friend if the Librarian fails his charge or stays near the pod for Look Out Sir protection.

I really want to like this guy, but he is just too slow. I think you are right that a Dreadnought Drop Pod might be an option, but that is a lot of points to invest in getting it somewhere and then risking it waddling around doing nothing after it solos that Knight in turn 1 :(

I find that these dreads are great distractions for your enemy's heavy weapons. Very few players are prepared to ignore a dreadnought that is even better in CQC than is standard, painting them red seems to reinforce that opinion, for some reason.

The kit itself is versatile, allowing you to make all the weapon options available and interchangeable without magnets or anything like that, and they all look good on the model.

If you have to lock in a load out, take first and chainfist. Refilling 1s in combat often outways a dozen bolter shots, and you get a heavy flamers/meltagun to boot. The Chainfist ruins vehicles far better than the hammer ever will, which is a shame, as the hammer is beautiful. Only really take the hammer if your opponent has absolutely no vehicles, but tonnes of monsters, and even then, an average of 1 less damage for -1 to hit rolls seems a little silly. I cannot think of a reason to take the hurricane bolter. Again, a shame as it looks really good.

I don't think I would use the Ironclad assault launchers either. Those extra mortal wounds seem unnecessary on a model as capable as this one, but I could well be wrong. I have better ways to spend CP.

I think these are lovely models, and I got one back in 5th edition, for BA, just because it looked really good in red.