So I know our codex has dropped, and people are saying we are good, but I disagree. The more I review our predicament, the more I am assaulted by a feeling of incomplete potential and a subpar thought process compared to the other releases. So just to alleviate this feeling, and to voice what I perceive to be a good addition to our codex, here are a few items, in hopes GW will see this and address this (hahah, yeah, I know that ain't happening).
1. Kaldor get's +1 to his armor save, because he has a SS. Sure having a 3+ invuln is nice, but mostly due to some pretty bad dice rolls on my part, and in the current meta where everything has high AP all over the place, having this little QoL would be nice. Then there is the fact they went out of their way to nerf Kaldor to a 4+ with that rule, and then they forgot about the fact that all SS gets +1 to their armor save?? Oversight? Otherwise he feels a tad squishy, personally - subjective opinion here. Oh and in BS he is missing his title of "Lord" - add that back, immediately, thanks.
2. Transhuman reworked to 1CP for 5m /2CP for 10m. Why on earth is our :cussing transhuman 2/3CP? Yes I get it we can slap transhuman on anyone, and we are psykers (big whoop when you have a secondary that directly :cusss us over) but 3CP for a brick of 10 and 2CP for a brick of 5, when there are relics/abilities (see Deathwing) running around with that baked in, in an already CP hungry army? I'd settle for 2CP across the board, even for a unit of 5.
3. Zone of Warding reworked to 1CP flat. +1 to invuln saves in shooting (to a maximum of a 4+) and a 5+ invuln if you don't already have an invuln save seems fairly reasonable to me. Plus that would incentivise to take warding staves in groups of 5 (I already do that, nonetherless).
4. Chaplain knowing 2 litanies and casting 1 litany. If we aren't going to get the chapter upgrades of the SM, those might as well be baked in somewhat. I don't like spending 2CP each turn for an additional litany to be cast, again mostly for the reason we are CP hungry. We are the supposed to be the finest of the best, none of this feels like we are. Yes we have our character upgrades for a points value, and I'm ready to argue with the next person that says they are good. Sure we have some very good ones such as Noble Death, Servant of the Throne, Foretelling of Locus, Omen of Incursion but then that leaves you with the other 5-6 choices that I honestly see a hard time taking over the ones listed above.
5. Include the options for Master Apothecary, Master of Sanctity, Master of the Forge, Chapter Master (yes there were other chapter masters before Draigo) for the relevant points costs (I even wouldn't mind if we paid a premium of 5-10pts more than the SM counter-parts just based on the fact we are psykers). Our current GK structure still has it, fluff-wise, and yes we are supposed to be different, but here we have it.
6. Paladins having a 2+ BS as well as a 4+ invuln and a Bodyguard keyword. Simple as that - DS Terminators have it, DW terminators have it, the other marines have it, why don't we have that? Then there is the fact that paladins eat demon princes for breakfast, and I honestly have a hard time seeing them doing that with a BS of 3.
7. The steel heart giving you +1 to our hit rolls in ranged as well as melee. SM's have that, we don't, yet we still use their rules of bolter discipline. That's just plain silly. Just merge it with Death from the Warp, and remove the silly clause if you come out of DS, problem solved.
8. Warp tides not acting as doctrines - Give us the ability to change it back, thanks, or give us a WL trait that allows a unit to be in that tide specifically for that round. Again, a very pointless change, one that I am extremely angry about.
9. Fly keyword added back to Interceptors - bruh.
10. Steely Advance to 1CP - again, just a copy paste of the marine version.
That's largely my list of suggestion/complaints with the codex. If all of those 10pts were done, I'd be happy with where we would be. There are probably more than this I forgot about but eh, those are the main points.
Edited by Skywrath, 11 October 2021 - 10:15 AM.