Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

chapter approved and point changes

• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

AenarIT

AenarIT

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 500 posts
  • Faction: Tau Necrons SM IG

This bodyguard discussion is interesting. Are the units being abused at the moment? I haven't noticed much complaining on the issue even if the potential for jank is there.

As for the CA itself - I hope the point adjustments are more aggressive this time around. There is an opportunity here to make units like Repulsors and Landraiders compelling, and a 5% reduction in cost won't have any impact.

If the Tau codex wasn't dropping in January (according to the leaked schedule), I'd have expected yet another -1 (ONE) point change on the Riptide like in the last CA. 

Orange Knight

Orange Knight

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 210 posts
I agree. Some of the updates are very poor.

What made CA exciting when it was initially introduced was the idea of fine-tuning the game regularly. All it has ever done is nerfed a few units too late and too harshly, and in other cases reduce points by a minimal or inconsequential amount.

Some mission packs have been historically decent at least, but not in the recent updates.
  • Black Blow Fly and AenarIT like this

tychobi

tychobi

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 706 posts
9th has kinda descended into hot mess territory. They have the tools but fail to use them. FAQ and Chapter Approved sit idle as balance fades. Hype engine roars along tossing up yet more creepy codecs, primaris marines we didnt know we wanted, and reprints of stale suppliments. Game development is not easy but GW makes it look darn near impossible until you glance around and notice the variety of lean hungry companies making accessible games, with modern mechanics, free rules and regular balance updates. The IP is still tops but we are only one Jar Jar away from an uncorrectable corporate cash out doom spiral. #makegrimdarkgreatagain
  • Ahzek451 likes this

Kill Maim Destroy

dice4thedicegod

dice4thedicegod

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,093 posts

This bodyguard discussion is interesting. Are the units being abused at the moment? I haven't noticed much complaining on the issue even if the potential for jank is there.

As for the CA itself - I hope the point adjustments are more aggressive this time around. There is an opportunity here to make units like Repulsors and Landraiders compelling, and a 5% reduction in cost won't have any impact.

If the Tau codex wasn't dropping in January (according to the leaked schedule), I'd have expected yet another -1 (ONE) point change on the Riptide like in the last CA.

/ obelisk has entered the chat

Black Blow Fly

Black Blow Fly

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 16,650 posts
  • Faction: TODESKOMPANIE

9th has kinda descended into hot mess territory. They have the tools but fail to use them. FAQ and Chapter Approved sit idle as balance fades. Hype engine roars along tossing up yet more creepy codecs, primaris marines we didnt know we wanted, and reprints of stale suppliments. Game development is not easy but GW makes it look darn near impossible until you glance around and notice the variety of lean hungry companies making accessible games, with modern mechanics, free rules and regular balance updates. The IP is still tops but we are only one Jar Jar away from an uncorrectable corporate cash out doom spiral. #makegrimdarkgreatagain

QFT.

=][= fortis Fortuna adiuvat . =][=

my 40k FB Page Terminus Esthttps://m.facebook.com/Terminus6Est

Blood and Honor!
ALL TEH CHAOS FANBOIZ BE LIEK SO PANDA SADFACE :D

phandaal

phandaal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 166 posts

I agree. Some of the updates are very poor.

What made CA exciting when it was initially introduced was the idea of fine-tuning the game regularly. All it has ever done is nerfed a few units too late and too harshly, and in other cases reduce points by a minimal or inconsequential amount.

Some mission packs have been historically decent at least, but not in the recent updates.

Would like to see some more Open War cards for mix & match games. More win conditions, more objectives.

Matched Play with codex creep and secondary objectives just is not all that fun, so it would be cool to see a few updates for their other game mode.
  • Warhead01 likes this

AenarIT

AenarIT

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 500 posts
  • Faction: Tau Necrons SM IG

Amen to that.

7th was probably worse in terms of game balance (formations and bonkers rules), but there was no expectaction to have a balanced game back then.

There was no rebalancing and no FAQs/Erratas, so the game was what it was and you either liked it enough to play or not. 

Now they have stated that they wanted to do better, to balance the game regularly and to listen to the players in the community. For a while in 8th the pace of updates was decent and the resulting balance was good, but now it's just a mess.

I feel that now it's the worst the game has ever been just because of the expectations that they have generated for a better game. 

Let's hope that once covid/brexit/shipping issues get resolved the situation improves a bit.

The next CA would be a great starting point to address the balance problem. 

Ahzek451

Ahzek451

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 783 posts
  • Faction: Necrons, Thousand Sons

I've always imagined that the willingness is there amongst employees, but the higher ups don't see a need to put in more resources and funds, concluding what they are doing currently is "fine" to keep things floating along. I suppose they don't see the monetary incentive to divert more energy into this area. 

Jorin Helm-splitter

Jorin Helm-splitter

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,498 posts

I do think that the pandemic had quite a bit to do with lackluster CA we got over the summer. There just weren't a lot of games being played, that said there are a lot of units and fractions that quite clearly need help. That said a free download for people that bought last years, while printing a new one for people that didn't have it would have been a much more consumer friendly move.

Hopefully they do a december update, or at the very least work on getting DE and Admech toned down a little bit more.

They also need to slow down the "hype machine" marketing these products. Its just increases frustration when they don't deliver. Its like their community previews on twitch they don't need to build them up as much, we'll still be curious. Sorry if I'm being negative I'm just really bitter about the last CA.   

phandaal

phandaal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 166 posts

They also need to slow down the "hype machine" marketing these products. Its just increases frustration when they don't deliver. Its like their community previews on twitch they don't need to build them up as much, we'll still be curious. Sorry if I'm being negative I'm just really bitter about the last CA.   

The hype machine feels like it is a bigger deal to Games Workshop than it is to their customers.

Every new release has this lead-up of little hints and info drips and drops until finally there is this BIG REVEAL. Feels like it it leaning heavily on the hype machine and, in some cases, the FOMO machine.

Contrast that with how happy customers were to see those leaks back in August saying "here is what is coming out, here is when it is coming out for the next 6 months and beyond."

Brainpsyk

Brainpsyk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 101 posts
  • Faction: Astra Militarum of Cadia

I do think that the pandemic had quite a bit to do with lackluster CA we got over the summer. There just weren't a lot of games being played, that said there are a lot of units and fractions that quite clearly need help. That said a free download for people that bought last years, while printing a new one for people that didn't have it would have been a much more consumer friendly move.

Hopefully they do a december update, or at the very least work on getting DE and Admech toned down a little bit more.

I think the key thing to remember here is the CA was planned and probably in production before the DE codex even came out. So the points adjustment was knowing DE were OP when they were released.   Now, with a lack of a PDF at least helping some armies that desperately need it, it's apparent GW is just milking the codex creep. 

The downside is that folks like me now only buy used from eBay, or have friends that do 3D printing.  I mostly play IG at the moment, so there's no value in me buying new.  There's only TCs and Manticores that kill anything, and infantry is for screening.  Conscripts *may* have a place with the new Octarius rules, but outside of Bullgryns, there's nothing on my need list.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users