Future Liber projects - Third poll: Factions

Kelborn

Third poll - factions   

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Another week has past and another poll rises.

This time, it's about factions divided into two seperate questions:

"Main factions" 

By that we mean, who shall be the maing combatatants? Imperium vs Xenos? Chaos vs Aeldari? Imperium vs Imperium?

"Sub-factions"

Who shall be the participants? Chapters and warbands of the Astartes? A shield company of Custodes? A rising Necron dynasty?

Do we want to reuse already established factions from canon and flesh them out? Or do we want to focus on either creating something entirely new/ reuse factions from within our Liber section?

Just because we're starting the third poll doesn't mean that the first or second are closed. If you still got something to share, then please do not hesitate. :)

Happy voting, folks!

Cheers,

Kel

I'm throwing in for the classic Imperium vs. Chaos on this one.

If this is going to be the first in a series of conflicts, my thoughts on the specifics were to start with some Guard/AdMech vs a Daemon incursion, giving us room for the Imperium to call in the heavy artillery and send the Space Marines in at the next stage, only for Chaos to do the same.

It looks like we've all got very different ideas on this one, though, which is what I'd expected to happen. :laugh.:

Although I'd love to be voting for some chaos stuff, I'd rather wait for their 9th ed codices to come out before delving into their stuff. Who knows, if this experiment is successful we can do it again in a year with some chaos love.

At the moment we're going to be seeing a lot of stuff for orks and Tyranids, so I'd rather work on a different Xenos faction - it's a pretty long time since the Pariah Nexus books so Necrons might be a fun faction to expand. Drukhari could be cool too, as I'm not sure they got much of a showing in their Warzone earlier this year (lorewise). Tau and CWE are in the same boat as chaos for the state of their codices

I’d like to see Chaos (Dark Mechanicum, Heretic Astartes, and Chais Knights) and Necrons. We get plenty of Imperium vs those factions, and we hardly ever see Necrons fighting Chaoa

Just imagine the carnage: esoteric Necron techno-arcana against the warped techno-sorcery of the Hereteks of Chaos. Heretic Astartes of ancient legions and modern renegades, supply starved and ill-equipped compared to their loyalist bretheren, delving deep into catacombs stalked by Canoptek constructs. Greater daemons of the four gods going toe to toe with the shattered remnants of ancient star gods

It's difficult to use factions with content on the way- we could put in a lot of effort only to have it invalidated when the dexes drop.

I took a look at the faction poll, but I didn't vote yet; I need to think about it. There are a few things that really interest me though, so here are a few ideas in broad strokes:

1) Whatever happens, I want to see the Inquisition involved. Specifically, I want an Inquisitor to investigate things with the help of other Imperial factions. At first, they would work with local forces, whatever those happen to be- most likely guard, and possibly a small mission of SOB. But once they begin to make discoveries (accumulate investigation points/ complete Inquisition specific Agendas (40k) or Tac ops/spec ops (KT)), they call in their Chamber Militant.

2) I LOVE Commorragh and Drukhari vs. Drukhari action. Like, combine the territories in the 40k Crusade rules with Bases of Operation in KT and fight over them in order to achieve a threshold which allows an Ascendant Lord to tear open a gate to realspace.

3) I love cults- both Imperial and other. Like maybe create a specific order of Crusaders, or a specific Death Cult in order to expand battle conclaves. If you just take Knosso Prond as DCA unit type/ character (ie. NOT a named Character), you've got two DCA units. Give Gotfrett de Montbard the same treatment and you're good to go. A few changes to the Cult of the Abyss keywords and unit options/ restrictions make a viable basis for an expanded Cults of Chaos option.

4) I LOVE the GSC life cycle. It's complicated though, because they reproduce to grow their forces and that can be... Difficult to handle with sensitivity. But playing out the life cycle of a Cult... It's something that I've been trying to get off the ground with the Chronicles of Saint Katherine's Aegis for years. Like, you can't include hybrids in an army until the purestrains infect humans who become Brood Brother fighters who also breed the hybrids into existence. Acolytes have to breed Neophytes. Neophytes breed the characters. Aberrants don't show up until the second cycle- ie. they are breed from the purestrain progeny of the 4th generation. Metamorphs show up in the third cycle.

And then they call the Nids, and their invasion happens in phases too.

So there are some thoughts. Actually voting? That's still a few days out. But maybe this can serve as food for thought until then. 

Chaos as a faction get’s my vote by default ;)

I do see the difficulties involving possible changes with  new content / codex on the way, but I am confident there are ways to circumvent or even include these things in a developing narrative (e.g. how will the local elements of the Word Bearers react to the news of Lorgar returned? ) 

Especially under the idea of (start small, expand) from something of a gang war / kill team level.

I do think that if Chaos gets to play a part, the setting should recognize it as “the Archenemy” in scope…

it being  the reason everything else keeps to a state of “ Cold War” to keep it out or trying to keep it all hushed up so people still ignorant to it do nit get funny ideas…or it comes crashing in like the flood to shake things up ( e.g. when the new Codex drops)

which makes the idea of something like a “Cult Shadow War” among / across factions very appealing / interesting to me

But I always thought that a Necromunda Style “ Gang War “ inside Commorragh / one of it’s pocket dimension focusing on the Drukhari (and some assorted mercs ) holds a lot of potential … and it can spill out practically to anywhere in the galaxy! 

starting from there, I think the are nice ideas for 

I'm a big fan the enemy within.

Chaos and genestealer cults, with Guard, Tempestus with Inquisitor, and Astartes (Chaos and Loyalists) at a later stage.

Add some feral Orks (those new snaggas) in the surrounding jungles, if we have jungles (wink wink) attacking colonists settlements.

Edited by Sete

I would be remiss as a Phaeron and the faction's mod to not suggest Necrons as one of the Big Bads for the setting. Necrons vs Chaos duking it out on the grand scheme, the first trying to outright kill the second in the local area (maybe some kind of mini-pariah nexus?), the other trying to conquer the sector, and the Imperials and other Xenos running around underfoot trying to not die.

It's great to see so much love for the Imperial Guard :D I also agree with Sete's mention of the "enemy within", but I'll also point out that the likes of Necrons (with Mindshackle Scarabs) and T'au (with Gue'vesa) could also work in that role :) This looks like it's set to make a nice and unique campaign, whatever happens

I voted "Other Xenos", "Necrons", and "Yes, let's use some of the Liber section".

This board has many members blessed with good imagination, excellent worldbuilding and character development skills, as their IAs demonstrate. It'll be a waste not to use them and their skills.

It's great to see so much love for the Imperial Guard :D I also agree with Sete's mention of the "enemy within", but I'll also point out that the likes of Necrons (with Mindshackle Scarabs) and T'au (with Gue'vesa) could also work in that role :) This looks like it's set to make a nice and unique campaign, whatever happens

While I do like Tau unfortunately it restrict us geographically a bit, which is not an issue depending on the location chosen. A planet is not just a hive city, nor it is just one biome, so on that we have some space to let our imagination run wild.

I'm seriously tempted to put my BT on the back burner and use my DiY chapter for this.

I voted "Other Xenos", "Necrons", and "Yes, let's use some of the Liber section".

This board has many members blessed with good imagination, excellent worldbuilding and character development skills, as their IAs demonstrate. It'll be a waste not to use them and their skills.

I voted "let's make some new ones" for the exact same reason. :laugh.: 

I love the big flurry of creativity community-built stuff creates, and I love when it starts to settle down and we get into the nitty-gritty details of stuff.

But if we wind up using existing factions, there'll still be plenty of things to create, so it's all good.

May I shamelessly suggest trying to integrate one of my 'How would you's into one of the factions

are you thinking of one in particular?
Not really but if I had to pick one it would be Dia de Los Muertos

Ooh, perhaps an imperial colony on a dormant necron tomb world, who find these ancient skulls and things and believe that they're a sign from the emperor and decide to paint themselves in honour of what turns out to be actual necrons?

May I shamelessly suggest trying to integrate one of my 'How would you's into one of the factions

are you thinking of one in particular?
Not really but if I had to pick one it would be Dia de Los Muertos

Ooh, perhaps an imperial colony on a dormant necron tomb world, who find these ancient skulls and things and believe that they're a sign from the emperor and decide to paint themselves in honour of what turns out to be actual necrons?

Or why not have a necron dynasty whose colours are Calaveras-ish, and are more Maya/Aztec in their pyramides and weapons rather than pharaonic Egypt-ish, possibly with some elements from colonial/post-colonial México 

If we want to keep the whole the dead and the living interacting during Día de Muertos could it be a dynasty that also don't kill all humans, as long as they show them proper respect, so we have a Tomb World where humans are living simple lives at the outskirt of the necron areas and see the necrons as their god-nobility.

Three days have past and we already have quite a lot of votes in here.

Furthermore, I see more and more discussion about an "enemy within" scenario, which I'm very found of. :)

Think it's time to hear your suggestions regarding which canon/ Liber factions you'd like to have included.

Deathkorps of Krieg, Charcharodons, Word Bearers and a new Necron dynasty perhaps?

Wether it's your own creation or a canon one, which one shall we take into consideration?

A necromancy throne world where the populace is used to contact with “ the other side”….

Xenos undead overlords…

Meso american theme …

Well, if that isn’t a a place for a revolutionary movement / Guerilla with tender support by the Old God(s)

Maybe we could use a Mesoamerican theme for the area and all the different factions. Not focusing on any specefic Mesoamerican area/culture or time for the inspiration, instead using all of it.

GW do already have some Mesoamerican-ish forces like the Fists of Lagus and Obsidian Jaguars, plus we have some fanmade Mesoamerican-ish Liber created factions, and it could be a fun theme boundary when it comes to the creation of new factions.

Edited by Gamiel