Future Liber projects - Third poll: Factions

Kelborn

Third poll - factions   

35 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Not really an arbiter but rather a neutral voice, pal. ;) And I don't take credit for creating this WIP project. I'm just one gear amongst many.

I agree with you that we're still in a poll phase to clarify the foundations of this new project (and another is already incoming). Yet, nothing's wrong against throwing in some ideas and have a bit of a brainstorm, eh. ;)

But to make things clear:

NOTHING IS WRITTEN IN STONE - YET

AND

OVERTHEMING IS NOT ALWAYS THE BEST WAY TO GO WITH

(except you want something goofy)

[says the guy who created a Predator themed Legion for an AU] 

Additionally, Bjorn, I think you underestimate just how backstabby internecine conflict in Necron tombs can be. We don't need a rival dynasty to introduce intrigue and character conflict, the lesser nobles are quite capable of doing that all by themselves with no outside help. We're a contentious people, us Necrontyr :tongue.:

Especially in the recent novels. Severed and Twice Dead King: Ruin all have plenty of internecine Necrontyr conflicts, from political scheming all the way to outright assassination attempts.

Edited by Beren

@Gamiel, would those underlings be other Necron Lords, Crypteks, a mix of both?

I'm just throwing around ideas and suggestions but I think that I would have it as both. And as originally suggested would there not be backstabbing (unless people want to) as much as an unwillingness to chare forces, making each Necron over-underling only having a portion of all the available force thereby making it harder for the Necrons to amass larger forces for things, making kill teams the most common way to send out forces

We are still voting on the factions, and I already see names, and necron politics.

Just suggestions on necron politics to justify the lack of larger forces, and the names are just place holders. 

Some people might have different ideas.

I am more interested on the Imperial side of things, but this behavior might discourage others from posting if they feel excluded.

If you have any just throw them out so others can see them and come with suggestions/comments.

Edited by Gamiel

Necrons do seem to be the favored Xenos with Chaos being the runner up currently. For Imperials it seems to be Astartes and Militarum leading. The current Discussion is awesome for designing a scenario in my opinion. And is giving me some ideas for my still in development subsector that I have been on and off working on.

"Pushing their agenda" is a bit harsh here, mate. People are getting excited by their own ideas and/or the ideas of others.

Besides, if a project is to succeed, someone will have to don the mantle of the arbiter and have a final say on things, otherwise we'll never end up with a finished product.

Dont think it is.

We are still voting on the factions, and I already see names, and necron politics.

I am more interested on the Imperial side of things, but this behavior might discourage others from posting if they feel excluded.

Create a thread for both initial factions so people can discuss all the ideas, and then choose one.

I assume Kelborn, since he created the event, is the arbiter.

edit: replace agenda by ideas, If it sounds less harsh.

With that wording I can get behind the idea of voting on themes - had you got any other ideas you'd like to put forward, especially for Imperial forces?

"Pushing their agenda" is a bit harsh here, mate. People are getting excited by their own ideas and/or the ideas of others.

Besides, if a project is to succeed, someone will have to don the mantle of the arbiter and have a final say on things, otherwise we'll never end up with a finished product.

Dont think it is.

Create a thread for both initial factions so people can discuss all the ideas, and then choose one.

I assume Kelborn, since he created the event, is the arbiter.

edit: replace agenda by ideas, If it sounds less harsh.

With that wording I can get behind the idea of voting on themes - had you got any other ideas you'd like to put forward, especially for Imperial forces?

Really depends on what we are looking for.

I like the day of the dead imperial cult idea and how it can relate to the necrons, but what type of world are we aiming for? 

Agri world? Since they are ruled by the administorium, they might overlook a corruption of the imperial cult?

Feral? Feudal?Hive?

A recent colony?

Edited by Sete

Maybe a hive world (or with proto-hives) where day of the dead cultiest can be found in the outback and/or in the underhive - also just becouse it's a hive world don't mean there are enviorments outside of the hives, Armagedon was mostly covered in jungels outside of the hive areas - actually any kind of would should be able to have day of the dead cultiest in the outback areas. 

I will say, I like the idea of a hiveworld where the lower levels sometimes border on the mysterious labyrinth beneath. Trespass into these depths may be technically forbidden, but that doesn't stop tech-traders, insurgents and gangers from frequenting it and odd aretefacts making their way to the surface. Plus of course, the Ad Mech has probably mounted many expeditions. None of those that went deep ever returned, except perhaps the last one, whose return has been an occasion of celebration among the local tech-priests...

Interesting idea, I am somewhat reusing. In one of my stories of my subsector was a Choas cult that originally formed from worshiping a Necron Lord infected with a Flayer Virus. They were one of the major insurrection forces on a Hive World.

Edit: Maybe the one that started in my subsector is an offshoot hehe.

Edited by TechCaptain

I like the proto hives idea.

One of them can have said labyrinth, but I would like to have "outside" biomes available, like jungle, desert etc.

Yeah I think multiple terrains would be great.

I am now picturing the labyrinth being a sort of clamshell placed over the tomb world and the Imperial world being built on top of that. So it could be any type of world.

There could be "ground zero", the main path out. But minor (no more than manholes) exits which the initial necron kill teams emerge from.

Edited by Minigiant

I like the proto hives idea.

One of them can have said labyrinth, but I would like to have "outside" biomes available, like jungle, desert etc.

Yeah I think multiple terrains would be great.

I am now picturing the labyrinth being a sort of clamshell placed over the tomb world and the Imperial world being built on top of that. So it could be any type of world.

There could be "ground zero", the main path out. But minor (no more than manholes) exits which the initial necron kill teams emerge from.

Ancient Blackstone ruins deep in the jungles or the rocky deserts, which never seem to be in the same place, could also be super evocative

Good ideas.

Let's have the setting be a planet that was subjected to Exterminatus in millennia past, but has since recovered, like Armageddon. Imperial scholars determined this occurred in pre-Imperial times, meaning there are no signs of Chaos-taint, making the planet relatively safe for human colonization.

Ruins are found with still-working power plants; shallowly explored, as the Imperium has difficulty accessing the deeper levels; and reused as the foundations of new-built hives, to make use of the preexisting power plants.

This should give us a variety of terrain to serve as battlefields; mysteries to study and explore; and a hidden menace, e.g., Necrons, an insane Avatar of Khaine that will attack everyone it sees once its shrine is breached, Enslavers in stasis, what have you.

Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

I'm not following, why Exterminatus?

As I'm taking a lot of inspiration from Armageddon- which was subjected to Exterminatus in canon- I thought it would be a good way to create ruins for Kill Teams to explore, while also "wiping the slate clean" so diverse biomes may grow, providing battlefields beyond that of the urban ones a hive world is limited to.

The mystery of a planet that was subjected to Exterminatus BEFORE the Emperor reunified Holy Terra, can also provide opportunities for worldbuilding, e.g., we can explore the wreckage of an Aeldari ship, which the Necrons brought down upon what was then their Tomb World- or the other way around, exploring a wrecked Necron ship the Aeldari brought down upon what was then a Maiden World- when the xenos waged their War in Heaven.

I'm not following, why Exterminatus?

As I'm taking a lot of inspiration from Armageddon- which was subjected to Exterminatus in canon- I thought it would be a good way to create ruins for Kill Teams to explore, while also "wiping the slate clean" so diverse biomes may grow, providing battlefields beyond that of the urban ones a hive world is limited to.

The mystery of a planet that was subjected to Exterminatus BEFORE the Emperor reunified Holy Terra, can also provide opportunities for worldbuilding, e.g., we can explore the wreckage of an Aeldari ship, which the Necrons brought down upon what was then their Tomb World- or the other way around, exploring a wrecked Necron ship the Aeldari brought down upon what was then a Maiden World- when the xenos waged their War in Heaven.

Okay, I like that idea.