Recreating that Retro Magic: Black Templars help

That paint sheme is pre Codex Armageddon, but i dont hink it probably changed much pre 4th Edition with the BT Codex.

In the olter guides the armour was sprayed bla´ck and got an edge highloght with 2 greys (Codex Grey and Fenris Grey, when i remember correcty after they changed from the Hex pots to the one with lids).

Metal was done with Boltgun Metal, washed with Black Ink and the drybrushed with Chainmail.

Shoulderpads were painted solid white (or left of and sprayed white) and got a small line of Fenris Grey in the recesses.

Thats the sheme from here

http://www.geocities.ws/lmstanduk/Armapage3.JPG

That paint sheme is pre Codex Armageddon, but i dont hink it probably changed much pre 4th Edition with the BT Codex.

I think it must be earlier than that, not only because it's a 2nd Edition metal model, but also because Templars were already using the "current" black armour with white shoulderpads when third edition first released. Source; Holding the third edition rulebook in my hand right now :teehee:

Not sure any specific paint guide exists for the OPs pic, I suspect it was just a one-off flavour image to give an example of alternative schemes.

I think it must be earlier than that, not only because it's a 2nd Edition metal model, but also because Templars were already using the "current" black armour with white shoulderpads when third edition first released. Source; Holding the third edition rulebook in my hand right now :teehee:

Not sure any specific paint guide exists for the OPs pic, I suspect it was just a one-off flavour image to give an example of alternative schemes.

Indeed, the blue background looks more like flavour sections of second edition rule books. In the 3rd ed space marine codex, the BT's have gained the white pad fields with black cross (p22 of codex SM, 3rd ed). The scheme would have been refined when BT's were chosen to be the poster boys of 3rd edition. 

EDIT: Found it, this image is from Codex: Ultramarines from 1993 (second edition). 3rd ed was released in what, 1998? Unfortunately, in-codex painting guides at the time were pretty bad, as in 1: draw the outline of the owl, 2: draw the owl, however it looks more blue grey? Modern equivalent would be dark reaper then fenrisian grey highlights over abaddon black, then chest eagle in company colours and matching bolter. +Goblin gren base. 

Edited by Xenith

Someone suggested coat d'arms to match the old colors best, and after watching an hour of videos on it I ordered the colors needed. I went with royal blue and elven grey to mix for highlights. I want to do the black shield with White cross look, since I love that look and it will make my infantry match my vehicles more. I could only find painting guides for space wolves, salamanders, ultras, and blood angels from 2nd-3rd, so not even Raven Guard to use for the black paints.

I could only find painting guides for space wolves, salamanders, ultras, and blood angels from 2nd-3rd, so not even Raven Guard to use for the black paints.

There's a reason they're called the big four - they were the only ones GW gave any attention until the Index Astartes series. Just bear in mind that the paint guides back then were pretty dubious - the heavy metal team would mix and blend, while the instructions are just 'highlight colour X with Y'. 

Thankfully the new range means no mixing needed - the citadel colour app has instructions that will get you close to that - Blacl templar/deathwatch armour in particular: Abaddon black > dark reaper > fenrisian grey.

3rd ed codex schemes would be chaos black > codex grey > extreme highlight fortress grey, hich is not what that second ed model has had done to it - remember, everything was simplified from second to 3rd ed to make the game more accesible, both rules and paint schemes! 

Someone suggested coat d'arms to match the old colors best,

The old GW paints (the ones in the round and hexagonal flip-tops from the 1990s, prior to the awful screw-top pots) were supposed to have been made by Coat D'Arms, and it's quite obvious from the names those which are equivalents (although there's also a chart). :smile.: (also, if you like them, Coat D'Arms paints are the same formula/manufacturer as Formula P3, which have some interesting colours in the range :smile.:)

Back to the point, it sounds like the colours you've picked should work well (my guess would've been Shadow Grey and Codex/Fortress Grey for the highlights, although it's somewhat hard to tell from the small picture, and it also wouldn't surprise me if I were wrong on that :blush.:). :smile.:

Edited by Firedrake Cordova

Blue bolter casings are pretty old. I think 2nd or early 3rd?

EDIT: Well I was beaten to that by a long shot. Well glad it got worked out, that's one heck of a throwback army!

Edited by Fulkes