Help with spectrus team rules

superwill

Hey guys,

I just have a question about equipment in the spectrus teams. Specifically about the grapnel launcher. There seems to be two parts to the ability:

1) it gives the bearer outflank.

2) it gives the bearer’s unit the ability to ignore vertical distances.

Obviously from the wording, if the Reiver was part of a mixed spectrus team then part A wouldn’t work because some models wouldn’t have that rule and therefore would not be able to outflank. But part B says it applies to the whole unit. Is there something I have missed, or does that actually mean that the whole team can move as if it had grapnel launchers?

The spectrus team entry has certain restrictions about special rules not applying across the whole squad but this one isn’t mentioned. It’s also not mentioned in the “mixed units” section, or in the FAQ. As far as I could find it isn’t mentioned everywhere, but I feel like I’m missing something.

I have an important follow up question if the answer is that this does apply to the whole unit. And if it doesn't, what rule have I been missing?

Thanks heaps,

Will

Its unfortunate reivers don't mesh well with spectrus kill teams... I think the only way to make them work decent is if you combat squad them, 5 infiltrators and 5 reivers? That way they don't cancel anything out, and at least that way the reivers get objective secured? 

Ah of course, thanks guys.

Here’s my follow up question. Is there anything stopping the infiltrators/other spectrus from benefitting from the camo cloaks of the Eradicators? The rule seems to be unit wide, even if you only had 1 camo cloak? It doesn’t say anything about the bearer, or the model with this ability/wargear, it just says the rule applies “each time a ranged attack is allocated to a model in this unit…” and nothing that comes afterwards seems to change that?

I feel like I must be missing something again but am not sure what? Or does 1 model having a camo cloak really give the benefit to the entire squad?

Edited by superwill

That’s what I assumed too. But that’s not what the rule reads, right? So what is it that makes camo cloaks apply only for the individual model? Or is that just an assumption leftover from 6-7th edition? Even in 8th edition the rule read “add 2 to saving throws for models in this unit when they receive the benefit of cover”.

Any other rule that was worded the way camo cloaks are worded would very clearly apply to the whole squad (again, unless there’s some other rule I’m missing?) I think the only reason I assumed camo cloaks are on a per model basis is because that’s how things were worded several editions ago.