Unit of the Week: Primaris Techmarine

Jolemai

Welcome to part two of the Blood Angels Unit of the Week Series!

Following the release of the 9th edition Supplement, there is no better time to discuss all the units we have access to. Each week a different unit will appear, with the idea being that we discuss how best to use that model on the battlefield. Where part one will focus on the unique BA units and part two will focus on BA units that are new to this edition of the Codex, part three will discuss how to get the best use the generic units from the past that are still with us (and that many of us have in our armies still), and part four will discuss the Legends units that we still own and love. Finally, part five will be dedicated to the reinforcements from Forge World.

Note, this isn't to lament any nerfs, etc, from previous editions; the rules are as they are so try to unlock its potential for those who wish to use them all the same. Similarly, this thread is only for using the option being discussed; it matters not if you feel something is a better choice as such comments aren't constructive to the topic and shall be removed.

Without further ado, here's this week's entry:

sml_gallery_62972_10568_1098.jpg Primaris Techmarine

What are you thoughts here folks? How best would you use a Primaris Techmarine?
  • To compliment a list, or to build a list around? Will the beta rules affect your list(s)?
  • Footslog or transport? Bodyguard of note?
  • How are you buffing this unit? Will it be babysitting anything?
  • Chapter Command? Suitable to be a Warlord?
  • Stratagem synergy of note?

Over to you

Please note that Techmarine will be discussed elsewhere

Edited by Jolemai
Updated!

The Primaris Techmarine is an easy upgrade from the Firstborn version. +1 to Wounds and Attacks for 10 points is reasonable and the restricted transport options don't matter much as you usually want this guy on foot. He also packs quite a number of S5+ attacks that make him handy for clearing chaff units.

Obviously the Techmarine really wants to be buffing vehicles to get the most mileage out of him. The best option for me is Dreanoughts. Redemptors in particular carry plenty of firepower to benefit from "Awaken the Machine Spirits". WS/BS 2+ on a Redemptor is pretty tasty.

Master of the Forge and the "Warden of the Ancients" WLT work really well with this setup as you can further buffs the Dreads and repair a solid 3 wounds per turn.

The Techmarine generally wants to be just behind the front line rather than right on it so I am not certain if he really needs a relic. I am not convinced if there are any other builds that compare to this setup as I think this makes the strongest use of the synergies available to him.

Primaris Techmarine actually gets 2 bonus attacks from the Mechandendrite (although they are weaker than his regular ones) on top of the usual Primaris bonus.

With a total of 6 (7 on the charge) attacks of various profiles, he's actually quite adept at CC and obviously more for BA than other Chapters.

His base gun is better and it's worth remembering that he can fire it alongside his pistol (just not while in combat). 

I agree he currently shines most with the dreads with which he can quite safely move up the board and charge alongside or as a second wave.

In my local meta, a good chunk of the BA players (at least at tournaments) subscribe to the 1/3rd shooting, 2/3rds melee model for their BA army. If think the primaris techmarine is a great way of buffing a couple of redemptors or volkite wielding contemptor dreadnoughts to maximise the long-range, DE-raider popping shooting element of a BA army. I would save the WLT and relics for other units, I think the buff to ws/bs to 2+ is really what you bring him for.  

I've been thinking about Quake Bolts, but threat range is an the issue - Techamrine will be around your firebase, so usually somewhere at the back. It's unlikely he will be in range to put a Quake Bolt into the Enemy T1 unless we go second.

I was able to use him twice and both times he stayed at the back the whole game - sitting on an objective, moving only as much as to be within 3" of the nearest dreadnought who was moving much more in order to get better angles.

I would agree with holding up on any relics or WLTs - we need them more elsewhere. Honestly I'm not even sure upgrading him to Forge Master is worth it unless you have points to spare - as tough as dreads are, repairing them can only go so far if proper firepower is turned their way. I would consider it more whenever a source of Invulnerable saves is available for them though.

I've been thinking about Quake Bolts, but threat range is an the issue - Techamrine will be around your firebase, so usually somewhere at the back. It's unlikely he will be in range to put a Quake Bolt into the Enemy T1 unless we go second.

Plus his Forge Bolter is Assault 3 meaning you waste the extra shots IIRC. Maybe I am overestimating Master of the Forge. I just hate rolling to repair and getting a 1. :tongue.:

Fair point with rolling 1s. It happens more often than we would like :P

Forge Bolter while indeed a 3-shot is still only AP -1 so there is a fair chance that most of it's potential damage will be saved. On the other hand each unsaved wound is a dead MEQ. Compared to the extra hits in melee generated by a successful Quake Bolt, I'd say it's worth it provided that following charge is performed by something sufficiently killy.

But yes, this is a choice to be taken. Compared to a regular Techmarine (with Bolter) Quake Bolts are definitely less attractive on him. 

I'm still thinking about this range issue. We have smaller boards and many, many armies that want to come to us one way or another - Orks, Custodes, Sisters, DE, Harlequins, AdMech, other marines, even Necrons. Also smaller tables. Additionally our old supplement means we are not as scary as we used to be so people are less afraid of getting to grips with us. So in theory finding range to something should not be that hard.

Another issue altogether is the number o LOS-blocking terrain which is an issue for a slow-moving Techmarine. Also, it's not enough to shoot Quake Bolts at anything that presents itself obviously.

I think in the simplest of terms much will depend on the way we want to play the Techmarine's 'flock'. If those are dreads (preferably 2+), it will depend on weather they will generally stay put as a firebase and move later on if needed, or are supposed to be more active (walk, earn VPs and shoot on the way). In the latter case, there is a fair chance that Techmarine will get to see some action and Quake Bolts have merit although it's still fair to assume we will get to use them from T2. 

On the other hand, if Techmarine is to babysit a Whirliwind or other non-melee vehicles, I wouldn't count on using Quake Bolts during the game like ever.